Remember what Marv said...

mclauria1

Ya think? I would say Polian might have helped. :thumbsup:

I would say so. Marv's best trait was his ability to manage the different personalities in a talented but volatile locker-room. This quality + 15 more years of age doesn't really translate to a front-office position where you have to leave no stone unturned in a quest to find a competitive edge. Buddy has his faults but I believe in a front office that puts scouting front and center.

I haven't looked this up or anything, but it seems to me a lot more of your draft picks make the team their first year than they did 20 years or so ago.

I remember thinking that say a 5th rounder was long shot to make the team, and now I think that player should make the team.

I could be wrong.

I haven't looked this up or anything, but it seems to me a lot more of your draft picks make the team their first year than they did 20 years or so ago.

I remember thinking that say a 5th rounder was long shot to make the team, and now I think that player should make the team.

I could be wrong.

Typically they make the team.

Likewise they typically don't do much once they do.

It's not a huge loss, but a missed chance at a nice bonus too.

There has been some angst about cutting a few 2012 draft picks. Marv Levy (as always) nailed it:

"If all your draft picks make it, what does that say about your previous years drafts?"

I don't see what one has to do with the other especially since free agency came into play

I think it says more about the rest of your team and the players they drafted then previous years draft

The idea is to draft well and if you do most of your draft picks make the team

Marv also didn't like playing rookies and always said your rookie class is actually last years draft class

I agree about the GM part. However, he judged the talent & cuts to build 4 straight SB clubs...

Always amazed when people give the head coach credit for building and maintaining a team

Marv managed and motivated the team but he certainly didn't build it

Edited by Max997

Players drafted in rounds 5 or later should be on the practice squad unless they really impress in camp. None of our late rounders impressed that much in camp so they were cut and they tried to put them on the PS. Some of our guys are getting claimed not a big deal.

Well done

The older I get the more I miss coach Marv Levy.

Too bad he had a bunch of Prima donnas on the Bills team in 1990-1991 that cost the Bills SB XXV. No coach in the NFL could have successfully managed these arrogant, self-centered, selfish players.

The Bills win the AFC Championship 51-3 and then they lost all self-control. They went out and partied too much the week before the SB, burning precious energy. On the other hand the NY Giants players met curfew and were well rested for the big game.

I still resent all those a-hole players on that team.

Marv Levy is in the pro football Hall Of Fame, though - something his greedy players couldn't deny from him.

I could be wrong.

The percentages are going to be higher bacouse the draft was 12 rounds instead of 7. Even when you take into account compensatory picks and more teams you are still talking about 2 rounds less of players picked and about 4 picks less per team.

The number of picks making the team is minimal...usually you slot 5-7 picks at making the team. Now with a PS you know some of the picks can get on their and develop.

They also decided to do a draft combine which then made scouting and a similar measuring stick to measure players.

With free agency costs are an issue. Draft picks are more important and cost effective.

That is in part why Edwards got cut..besides the front switch...how much of a difference was he at $4 M vs a younger player with a much cheaper price tag. The cost savings weighed into his cut. Draft choices are cheap.

The older I get the more I miss coach Marv Levy.

Too bad he had a bunch of Prima donnas on the Bills team in 1990-1991 that cost the Bills SB XXV. No coach in the NFL could have successfully managed these arrogant, self-centered, selfish players.

The Bills win the AFC Championship 51-3 and then they lost all self-control. They went out and partied too much the week before the SB, burning precious energy. On the other hand the NY Giants players met curfew and were well rested for the big game.

I still resent all those a-hole players on that team.

Marv Levy is in the pro football Hall Of Fame, though - something his greedy players couldn't deny from him.

Marv Levy and the rest of the coaching staff were massively out coached in that game

Marv also gave the last one away by coaching scared for the FG at the end of the first half instead of being aggressive and going for the TD

Right and you needed to throw that in there.

Well, if we're talking about his quote with reference to his talent-evaluation bona fides, it bears mentioning. Marv also had 12 rounds of draft picks to work with in his era. It's clear that a lot of what he might say doesn't necessarily have bearing on today's NFL. Sorry if I touched a nerve.