Is the Secondary going to be the weak link on Defense?

The biggest concern I have is with our secondary, it is filled with 1st & 2nd year players (not including Wilson & Byrd). I think it's going to take at least to mid-season, maybe until until the end of the season for the secondary unit to develop & start coming together as a group. So far, I haven't seen anyone on defense (including LB's) turn their heads around when the ball is in the air, and try and make a play on the ball. In two separate games, both Barnett & A. Williams were in position to make a play on the ball, but failed to turn their head around, which resulted in a completion for the opposing offense.I was hoping McGee would have been ready by now, because the Bills will need his experience in the backfield. Also, I'm concerned that cutting Drayton Florence might come back and haunt the team early on this season. Granted, Florence is not the same player that he once was, but like McGee, the Bills need some veteran experience in the backfield until the young guys get up to speed.

Drayton Florence was really terrible last year.. He got beat badly every game. They are a young unit so it could be rough early on.. I'm hoping the pass rush makes it a little easier on them..

Not disagreeing that, but he did make some plays as well, especially having an INT that he took back for a TD against Brady in the first meeting with the Pats.

I don't think our secondary, is a weak link at all. All I see are strengths back there, all the way through the dime spot. AW was terrific against the Steelers, he allowed 1 catch on an 11 yard fade pattern at their own 20 yard line (strange play to begin with). He was however beat deep on a play that the WR dropped. I have noticed that the Bills seem to get beat pretty consistently when they play zone, those play calls haven't been working out too well so far.

I think our weak link would certainly be LB. We have Barnett, who looks good to me, and Moats for the first time ever as a 4-3 LB on the other side. I will admit Moats looks pretty good so far, but he's still raw. Sheppard has some real improving to do in the middle IMO.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think our weak link is going to be our linebackers. They really haven't looked so good in pass protection.

I know you meant to say pass defense but it struck me as funny that our coaches would be so inept as to have the LBs pass blocking on offense.

GO BILLS!!!

The biggest concern I have is with our secondary, it is filled with 1st & 2nd year players (not including Wilson & Byrd). I think it's going to take at least to mid-season, maybe until until the end of the season for the secondary unit to develop & start coming together as a group. So far, I haven't seen anyone on defense (including LB's) turn their heads around when the ball is in the air, and try and make a play on the ball. In two separate games, both Barnett & A. Williams were in position to make a play on the ball, but failed to turn their head around, which resulted in a completion for the opposing offense.

I was hoping McGee would have been ready by now, because the Bills will need his experience in the backfield. Also, I'm concerned that cutting Drayton Florence might come back and haunt the team early on this season. Granted, Florence is not the same player that he once was, but like McGee, the Bills need some veteran experience in the backfield until the young guys get up to speed.

I think Brooks could over take Williams by years end as a starter personally. I loved that pick on draft night and he has done nothing to change that. He looks to be the real deal while Williams seems to keep struggling and be too slow out there at times. That being said, I think the LB's and our ability to stop the run are much bigger concerns at this point than the DB's because I feel like the DB's will just keep getting better where as the LB's and our run defense has less upside in what they have shown thus far.

I think Brooks could over take Williams by years end as a starter personally. I loved that pick on draft night and he has done nothing to change that. He looks to be the real deal while Williams seems to keep struggling and be too slow out there at times. That being said, I think the LB's and our ability to stop the run are much bigger concerns at this point than the DB's because I feel like the DB's will just keep getting better where as the LB's and our run defense has less upside in what they have shown thus far.

Good points! I wonder if the same things can be said about Bradham & Carder coming in at some point in the season.

I'm worried less about the secondary and more about the linebackers. They have been poor at tackling and very poor in coverage underneith. Our secondary won't matter if teams can dink and dunk all day within 10 yards.

A>Williams scares me, I think he will get picked on a lot.

Brooks is covering the WR, but never turns his head around.. it finally burned him last game when a Steeler grabbed it over him, after getting away with it a couple times vs. Vikes. He'll also likely be called for PI doing that sometimes, even if it's not truly deserved.

I would call CB (not necessarily the whole secondary) a potential weak spot, in that if we don't get front 4 pressure regularly, we'll be in trouble.

bradham and carder were def future investments, I'm afraid williams is going to become the new whipping boy much like kelsay because he will be a solid yet unspetacular player opposite a stud like gilmore. long term i think we are set up well in both areas

I'm worried less about the secondary and more about the linebackers. They have been poor at tackling and very poor in coverage underneith. Our secondary won't matter if teams can dink and dunk all day within 10 yards.

Depends on how teams go about dinking and dunking which, given our pass rush potential, I think we'll see a ton of this year. Our secondary will play a huge part in the success teams have with that dinking and dunking.

It's fair to say that both the LBs and DBs are a legit concern going into the season, imho.

GO BILLS!!!

1. I think our defense will look much improved with Mark Anderson at RDE instead of Kelsay- Kelsay doesn't have the quickness to run by an OT and doesn't have the power to push an OT into the QB, he does make some hustle plays when things break down and if you want to give him credit for being around the ball well OK but a quality RDE would have had some big blindside hits on Roethlisberger considering the pocket he didn't have to step-up in. The truth is I'd rather see Jarron Gilbert at RDE than Kelsay if Mark Anderson couldn't go.

2. Aaron Williams has the size you love in a CB but could be a bit better in his turn and run, he's not quite the Athlete Gilmore is but that could be compensated for by a little better technique- worst comes to worse and I wouldn't mind seeing Justin Rodgers get a shot, he impressed me last year and in camp until he was injured.

3. Still have high hopes for Sheppard but I wouldn't mind the Bills moving Barnett to MLB and Bradham to WOLB if Sheppard doesn't improve.

1. I think our defense will look much improved with Mark Anderson at RDE instead of Kelsay- Kelsay doesn't have the quickness to run by an OT and doesn't have the power to push an OT into the QB, he does make some hustle plays when things break down and if you want to give him credit for being around the ball well OK but a quality RDE would have had some big blindside hits on Roethlisberger considering the pocket he didn't have to step-up in. The truth is I'd rather see Jarron Gilbert at RDE than Kelsay if Mark Anderson couldn't go.

2. Aaron Williams has the size you love in a CB but could be a bit better in his turn and run, he's not quite the Athlete Gilmore is but that could be compensated for by a little better technique- worst comes to worse and I wouldn't mind seeing Justin Rodgers get a shot, he impressed me last year and in camp until he was injured.

3. Still have high hopes for Sheppard but I wouldn't mind the Bills moving Barnett to MLB and Bradham to WOLB if Sheppard doesn't improve.

Sorry, I think you are off on your first point. I'm diagnosing you with a common illness, chronic Kelsay hate. You are certainly right about Kelsay not having quickness, particularly agility to get to the QB. But if he's proven anything, it's that he has plenty of power to push the pocket. Last year opposing QB's could just run to the other side where there was zero push of any kind. This year he will help flush QB's to Williams and the rest of the D-line (as he has done consistently all preseason, certainly more so than Anderson), or at least keep them from moving out of the pocket. I'm fine with Anderson too, but Kelsay might be the perfect complement to Williams this year when he is in the game. Kelsay also plays the run well.

On the other points, somehow AW has turned into the new McKelvin (as a whipping boy), and I don't know why. Yes teams are attacking him, and for the most part he has done very well (1 catch allowed last week for 11 yards). Brooks got beat a few times by the second team, but now is touted as a replacement (I still like him as much as everyone else).

Sheppard is a concern IMO, I highly doubt Barnett is even considered for the middle spot. We don't have anyone that can play weakside LB like him except Scott, who is really a safety. Morrison would be the best bet to play MLB if Shep can't handle it, since Moats apparently has the strong side locked down.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think it's going to take some time for AW to develop into a solid corner. He was oft-injured last year, so that slowed his development. I don't know if putting him in right away as a starter this year was a wise move by the coaching staff.

I'm wondering what people are seeing from Carder and even Bradham that excites them. Carder seems to be lost out there, taking poor angles and getting pushed around. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets cut or put on PS.

I think the secondary will be fine. An above average unit that will be aided by the pass rush. McKelvin looks better now that he is in the slot and the safeties are very good. Williams will be okay and I like the depth with Rogers and Brooks.

I think it's going to take some time for AW to develop into a solid corner. He was oft-injured last year, so that slowed his development. I don't know if putting him in right away as a starter this year was a wise move by the coaching staff.

Again, so confused by these comments. What are you basing that on? He was our best CB last year when healthy IMO (He had 1 injury that kept him out the first half of the season. And yes, best out of a bad group). So far he was beat exactly once deep this preseason (Even though he was all over the WR), and has only allowed a handful of catches.

Yes he is young. So if he shouldn't start, who? Brooks (rookie)? Yes he has looked very good...against 2nd/3rd stringers. He did however get beat in that Steelers game, as AW did not. McKelvin? We've seen what he can do...Rogers? The 2nd year guy who missed almost all of training camp to this point, the 6th round pick from last year that only played a handful of downs at Nickle (never started)? McGee, who can't even walk right now? McGee and McKelvin are the only guy with MORE experience than AW on the team and it's unlikely either of them are starting candidates.

I'm just saying, there is a reason the coaching staff is playing it this way. He's simply the best option.

A little more info about the steelers game. Gilmore was beat 4 times on one drive alone, once for a TD. Williams allowed 1 11 yard reception the entire game (played 1 half). Not bashing Gilmore, just saying the AW criticism is unjustified to this point, let's just see how he does. It's a very young secondary, there will be growing pains.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Depends on how teams go about dinking and dunking which, given our pass rush potential, I think we'll see a ton of this year. Our secondary will play a huge part in the success teams have with that dinking and dunking.

It's fair to say that both the LBs and DBs are a legit concern going into the season, imho.

GO BILLS!!!

I guess we'll know pretty quickly if opposing teams TE's continue to carve us up. That's almost always on the LB's.

I'm wondering what people are seeing from Carder and even Bradham that excites them. Carder seems to be lost out there, taking poor angles and getting pushed around. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets cut or put on PS.

I think the secondary will be fine. An above average unit that will be aided by the pass rush. McKelvin looks better now that he is in the slot and the safeties are very good. Williams will be okay and I like the depth with Rogers and Brooks.

:thumbsup:

Your assessment completely matches my own. I think Carder has potential, but he needs to bulk up and work on his technique. I doubt they'd cut him outright, he's almost certainly PS bound.

It's just the normal hype train steamrolling TBD with new draft picks, happens every year.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Again, so confused by these comments. What are you basing that on? He was our best CB last year when healthy IMO (He had 1 injury that kept him out the first half of the season. And yes, best out of a bad group). So far he was beat exactly once deep this preseason (Even though he was all over the WR), and has only allowed a handful of catches.

Yes he is young. So if he shouldn't start, who? Brooks (rookie)? Yes he has looked very good...against 2nd/3rd stringers. He did however get beat in that Steelers game, as AW did not. McKelvin? We've seen what he can do...Rogers? The 2nd year guy who missed almost all of training camp to this point, the 6th round pick from last year that only played a handful of downs at Nickle (never started)? McGee, who can't even walk right now? McGee and McKelvin are the only guy with MORE experience than AW on the team and it's unlikely either of them are starting candidates.

I'm just saying, there is a reason the coaching staff is playing it this way. He's simply the best option.

A little more info about the steelers game. Gilmore was beat 4 times on one drive alone, once for a TD. Williams allowed 1 11 yard reception the entire game (played 1 half). Not bashing Gilmore, just saying the AW criticism is unjustified to this point, let's just see how he does. It's a very young secondary, there will be growing pains.

Don't get me wrong, both AW & Gilmore have been burnt for big plays. I think the front 4 is going to be great this year and will do their part on defense, but the LB's and secondary won't be able to finish the job, at least right away until they develop, which could take half-way through the season or longer, and that's what concerns me.