2013 QBs to watch

djp14150

Matt Barkley USC 6-1⅞ 228 4.90 94 Logan Thomas* Virginia Tech 6-5 254 4.65 92 Landry Jones Oklahoma 6-4; 230 4.95 89 Geno Smith West Virginia 6-2¾ 208 4.95 88 Tyler Wilson Arkansas 6-1⅞ 210 4.90 86 Tyler Bray Tennessee 6-5 215 5.16

ABOVE ARE QBS likely to go in rounds 1-2

E.J. Manuel Florida State 6-4⅝ 236 4.70 78 Aaron Murray Georgia 6-1 212 4.76 77 Tajh Boyd* Clemson 6-1 225 4.68 75 Zac Dysert Miami (OH) 6-3 220 4.65 70 Mike Glennon North Carolina State 6-7⅛ 225 5.10 60 Brad Sorensen Southern Utah 6-3¾ 237 5.00 50 Ryan Nassib Syracuse 6-2 228 5.04 47 James Vandenberg Iowa 6-2⅝ 218 4.95 42 Dayne Crist Kansas 6-4 239 4.75 40 Collin Klein Kansas State 6-5¼ 220 4.78 39 Jeff Tuel Washington State 6-2¾ 220 4.85 37

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general the Bills have several models of operation for drafting their QB of the future:

1. Trade up to get the guy they want- They used this method to acquire Losman as by trading up to get second first round choice they nabbed Losman who was judged by the NFL consensus to be a shade behind the top 3 QB choices that year (Eli Manning and others) but almost certainly a better prospect than any of the QBs likely to go in the first round the next draft.

As it was this method failed either because the Bills braintrust failed to make a good assessment , or our coaches were not good at developing talent. or the Bills succumbed to media and some loud fan pressure and rushed him along or whatever.

I think the bottomline is that the Bills are unlikely to be able to properly develop a first day pick into our franchise QB.

2. Use a middlin pick to get a guy who is not top tier but looks good to them=

They used this method to get Edwards when he fail to round #3 and Bill Walsh recommended him. This method also failed for some combination of the reasons stated above.

Again, I think the bottomline is that it seems unlikely to me the media and fan base here will have the patience to properly train any pick we make in the first half of the draft.

3. Use a late round pick to try to catch Tom Brady like lightening in a bottle.

To pull this off seems pretty unlikely that a player who is of the quality of Brady will be passed over by everyone in the NFL 5 or 6 times, but to me this unlikely scenario would seem to be the best option for the Bills using the draft to get our franchise QB.

In general the Bills have several models of operation for drafting their QB of the future:

1. Trade up to get the guy they want- They used this method to acquire Losman as by trading up to get second first round choice they nabbed Losman who was judged by the NFL consensus to be a shade behind the top 3 QB choices that year (Eli Manning and others) but almost certainly a better prospect than any of the QBs likely to go in the first round the next draft.

As it was this method failed either because the Bills braintrust failed to make a good assessment , or our coaches were not good at developing talent. or the Bills succumbed to media and some loud fan pressure and rushed him along or whatever.

I think the bottomline is that the Bills are unlikely to be able to properly develop a first day pick into our franchise QB.

2. Use a middlin pick to get a guy who is not top tier but looks good to them=

They used this method to get Edwards when he fail to round #3 and Bill Walsh recommended him. This method also failed for some combination of the reasons stated above.

Again, I think the bottomline is that it seems unlikely to me the media and fan base here will have the patience to properly train any pick we make in the first half of the draft.

3. Use a late round pick to try to catch Tom Brady like lightening in a bottle.

To pull this off seems pretty unlikely that a player who is of the quality of Brady will be passed over by everyone in the NFL 5 or 6 times, but to me this unlikely scenario would seem to be the best option for the Bills using the draft to get our franchise QB.

Your bottomline IMO is dead wrong. I am pretty sure if Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, RG3 walked through that door they would not magically stink due to the fact they are wearing blue and red. Buffalo would be another team with a good passing game with an accurate QB.

Trent Edwards was blah, Losman could not complete a 3 yard screen pass to save his life.

IMO we drafted bums, although I did love Losman irrationally for some reason, always thought he would get better.

Fitz has a few more hours on the field to prove he's not a bum who plays like a 7th rounder from Harvard, if he checks out we are covered for a bit. If he doesn't then our failure to draft a qb over the last few years is a huge HUUUUUUUGE mistake. So we miss out on Aaron Williams, Aaron Maybin, Torrell Troup so be it.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

My concern on any 2013 quarterback talk is. nix/gailey are not interested. There were several on the board when the bills picked this year. Gailey IMO is betting his mixed career on the fact that he can turn a back up into a NFL viable winning starter. I guess we will see. Receivers are also very suspect here 2 weeks before the start of year 3 of the latest rebuild.

The last minute deal to get our latest back-up shows that just maybe Gailey isn't as smart when it comes to identifing good quarterbacks as we are lead too believe. Yesterday's trade is a desperation move (although called for). Why on earth Thigpen wasn't cut the day last season ended is beyond me. Actually why he even had a roster spot last season is suspect. They took a flyer on Young and missed. That is understandable. When the ship finally goes down Fitz and Gailey will still be aboard. Can someone point out any measurable improvement in Fitz's pre season accuracy? And if Wood can't comeback to form we are in some trouble with the passing game.

Matt Barkley USC 6-1⅞ 228 4.90 94 Logan Thomas* Virginia Tech 6-5 254 4.65 92 Landry Jones Oklahoma 6-4; 230 4.95 89 Geno Smith West Virginia 6-2¾ 208 4.95 88 Tyler Wilson Arkansas 6-1⅞ 210 4.90 86 Tyler Bray Tennessee 6-5 215 5.16

E.J. Manuel Florida State 6-4⅝ 236 4.70 78 Aaron Murray Georgia 6-1 212 4.76 77 Tajh Boyd* Clemson 6-1 225 4.68 75 Zac Dysert Miami (OH) 6-3 220 4.65 70 Mike Glennon North Carolina State 6-7⅛ 225 5.10 60 Brad Sorensen Southern Utah 6-3¾ 237 5.00 50 Ryan Nassib Syracuse 6-2 228 5.04 47 James Vandenberg Iowa 6-2⅝ 218 4.95 42 Dayne Crist Kansas 6-4 239 4.75 40 Collin Klein Kansas State 6-5¼ 220 4.78 39 Jeff Tuel Washington State 6-2¾ 220 4.85 37

Keep an eye on Jeff Tuell this season - he's very likely to last until day 3 of the draft, possibly even go undrafted - and, if Chan Gailey is fully committed to a pass-happy spread offense, there can be no better mentor than Tuell's new coach at Wazzu...

Mike Leach

post-2970-0-76278100-1346107155_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

This is a good conversation. Up until now, I was happy with Nix not using a pick on a QB. There were bigger holes to fill.

But I really hope we take a QB in 2013. I like Fitz and he's better than some Bills QBs in recent memory. But he's no Jim Kelly and not in the Top Ten of the NFL today. I think the rest of the roster is strong enough now that QB becomes a draft weekend priority - and I hope Nix sees it the same way.

logan thomas i hope takes that next step this year. someone i think the bills wou;ld like is aaron murray of UGA a lot like ponder and kirk cousins. might not be top tier but smart and accurate.

Personally this is what makes me excited about this season. For the first time in a long time I have some faith that the organization is no longer going to be able to avoid the QB problem that has plagued this team for a decade and change. If Fitz steps up this year and proves all his supporters correct -- fantastic. This team has holes, but is a playoff contender right now. If Fitz is the man, use next year's draft to plug the holes and we'll be contenders.

If Fitz can't lead this team to the playoffs this year, this organization will, I believe, make a bold move for a QB at the top of the draft. Even at the expense of future picks. We have come as far as we can without an elite QB -- either Fitz takes that role this year or we roll the dice on a rook in '13.

I think if Fitz flames out this year, Buddy will offer draft picks as necessary to trade up and get the guy they want.

If Fitz flames out, Buddy and Chan will be long gone by the time the draft rolls around

This is a good conversation. Up until now, I was happy with Nix not using a pick on a QB. There were bigger holes to fill.

But I really hope we take a QB in 2013. I like Fitz and he's better than some Bills QBs in recent memory. But he's no Jim Kelly and not in the Top Ten of the NFL today. I think the rest of the roster is strong enough now that QB becomes a draft weekend priority - and I hope Nix sees it the same way.

I do not disagree at all with drafting a QB on the first or second day of the new draft. However if you think the LB's, WR's and TE's do not need an upgrade I have a waterbug RB I would like to sell you... And that is hoping the RG we have playing LT pans out while wincing everytime Wood falls to the ground...A great QB and awesome DL can overcome the crap we have for WR's and LB's. By week 14 we will know if Fitz was good enough...

Keep an eye on Jeff Tuell this season - he's very likely to last until day 3 of the draft, possibly even go undrafted - and, if Chan Gailey is fully committed to a pass-happy spread offense, there can be no better mentor than Tuell's new coach at Wazzu...

Mike Leach

i live in Washington...know all about Tuell. He showed potential last year...what happens with Leach....He would have been someone to take a flyer on say 5th round or below. But now with Leach he will be watched and examined by many. A good year he shoots up into 2/3

I started a thread on Casey Pachall 6'5" 226 (Lazer Rocket Arm) last week and if he comes out you can put him in the first round.

My concern on any 2013 quarterback talk is. nix/gailey are not interested. There were several on the board when the bills picked this year. Gailey IMO is betting his mixed career on the fact that he can turn a back up into a NFL viable winning starter. I guess we will see. Receivers are also very suspect here 2 weeks before the start of year 3 of the latest rebuild.

The last minute deal to get our latest back-up shows that just maybe Gailey isn't as smart when it comes to identifing good quarterbacks as we are lead too believe. Yesterday's trade is a desperation move (although called for). Why on earth Thigpen wasn't cut the day last season ended is beyond me. Actually why he even had a roster spot last season is suspect. They took a flyer on Young and missed. That is understandable. When the ship finally goes down Fitz and Gailey will still be aboard. Can someone point out any measurable improvement in Fitz's pre season accuracy? And if Wood can't comeback to form we are in some trouble with the passing game.

They will be interested after this year.

Personally this is what makes me excited about this season. For the first time in a long time I have some faith that the organization is no longer going to be able to avoid the QB problem that has plagued this team for a decade and change. If Fitz steps up this year and proves all his supporters correct -- fantastic. This team has holes, but is a playoff contender right now. If Fitz is the man, use next year's draft to plug the holes and we'll be contenders.

If Fitz can't lead this team to the playoffs this year, this organization will, I believe, make a bold move for a QB at the top of the draft. Even at the expense of future picks. We have come as far as we can without an elite QB -- either Fitz takes that role this year or we roll the dice on a rook in '13.

Exactly

fitz is the man... i literally have no clue why you call him a career backup...

now you're trollin :lol:

Our real problem, outside of crappy coaches and drafting and leadership in the organization over the last twenty years, was that we were always just crappy enough to eek out 6-7-8 wins. We never bottomed out to a 2-14 or 3-13 season to get the real franchise QB. Sure, guys like Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers can be found, but both of them would likely have been run out of town if they wer picked by the Bills, and floundered because of crappy coaching, OL, organization, draft picks, etc. It took both of them about 4-5 years to be great (even though Brees had one pretty good year in year 3 IIRC and the Chargers had already drafted his replacement because they werent sold on him.

The one time we could have got our guy, last year, Andrew Luck decided to stay in school, where 90% of the guys in his posiition, likely the #1 overall pick as well as his college coach already gone would have opted for the draft. Newton very likely would have been available at #3 and we would have taken him ahead of Dareus.

We have made some bad choices at QB. Losman was a bad choice because we traded up and he was a #1 pick with a lot of talent. He and we screwed up. Edwards was never going to be a star player, even if some fans loved him at first. It's not like we have a consistently avoided QBs who were sure to be great, we really werent in much of a position to draft one that was an obvious choice.

Our real problem, outside of crappy coaches and drafting and leadership in the organization over the last twenty years, was that we were always just crappy enough to eek out 6-7-8 wins. We never bottomed out to a 2-14 or 3-13 season to get the real franchise QB. Sure, guys like Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers can be found, but both of them would likely have been run out of town if they wer picked by the Bills, and floundered because of crappy coaching, OL, organization, draft picks, etc. It took both of them about 4-5 years to be great (even though Brees had one pretty good year in year 3 IIRC and the Chargers had already drafted his replacement because they werent sold on him.

The one time we could have got our guy, last year, Andrew Luck decided to stay in school, where 90% of the guys in his posiition, likely the #1 overall pick as well as his college coach already gone would have opted for the draft. Newton very likely would have been available at #3 and we would have taken him ahead of Dareus.

We have made some bad choices at QB. Losman was a bad choice because we traded up and he was a #1 pick with a lot of talent. He and we screwed up. Edwards was never going to be a star player, even if some fans loved him at first. It's not like we have a consistently avoided QBs who were sure to be great, we really werent in much of a position to draft one that was an obvious choice.

There have been plenty of QBs we could have drafted the last 3 years that had talent and were worth taking a shot at like; Skelton, Malllett and Wislon just to name a very few we should have had.

Having a set of QBs like Skelton, Mallett and Fitz would be way better than what we have now.

IMO we drafted bums, although I did love Losman irrationally for some reason, always thought he would get better.

Well, when Losman was drafted the Bills told us he was right there on a par with the rest of that draft class' first rounders. Eli Manning and Big Ben have won Super Bowls and may some day be in Canton. Phillip Rivers has carried his team to the playoffs in the past and is the undisputed leader of his team. The other guy that Modrak rated in this group is the one the Bills traded up for and he's out of the NFL, though he might get on a roster as a disaster QB.

The good news is Modrak is now at BLESTO, so the Bills aren't the only ones reading his scouting reports. B-)

My biggest fear is that Fitz plays mediocre and gets injured half way through the season. The coaching staff still believes in him and they role with him and TJ again next year... bleh..

I would trade up and get the best possible guy you can afford next yr.

i live in Washington...know all about Tuell. He showed potential last year...what happens with Leach....He would have been someone to take a flyer on say 5th round or below. But now with Leach he will be watched and examined by many. A good year he shoots up into 2/3

I'm a big fan of Leach and I think that the Cougars will raise a quite a few eyebrows this season, but we'll have to wait and see about Jeff Tuel.

The thing you have to remember is that, because all of Leach's QBs have been atop the NCAA in passing and scoring, the rap is that any QB that you plug in to Leach's offensive "system" will automatically start breaking NCAA records. And, while that's been pretty much true, none of his Texas Tech QBs were drafted - and only Graham Harrell has lasted more than a season with an NFL team. (And Harrell had a phenomenal college career - 15,793 yards, 134 TDs, and a 69.8 completion % and 154.3 QB rating across 4 seasons and 45 games played.) So I'm having a tough time imagining that Tuel will be not only the first Leach QB drafted into the NFL, but that he'd be drafted on day 2.

Even if Tuel sets the PAC-12 and NCAA on fire in his senior season, he'll still have to overcome his multiple-injury rap and Wazzu's miserable record under Paul Wulff.

I'd bet that, no matter how great a 2012 season Tuel and Washingon State have, he will not be drafted until the fifth round or later - if he's drafted at all. (Which could be a good thing, if he should become of interest to the Bills!)

But it should be an exciting season for Wazzu fans, starting tomorrow nite against BYU, and I'll be keeping a close eye on the Cougars, Teul, and of course...

Mike Leach