2013 QBs to watch

djp14150

Well, when Losman was drafted the Bills told us he was right there on a par with the rest of that draft class' first rounders. Eli Manning and Big Ben have won Super Bowls and may some day be in Canton. Phillip Rivers has carried his team to the playoffs in the past and is the undisputed leader of his team. The other guy that Modrak rated in this group is the one the Bills traded up for and he's out of the NFL, though he might get on a roster as a disaster QB.

The good news is Modrak is now at BLESTO, so the Bills aren't the only ones reading his scouting reports. B-)

Lets look at those QBs and see how stable their offense coordinator/offensive philosophy and head coaching have been vs what happened in Buffalo.

Doesnt matter how great a QB is...if you run them through something like 4 offensive coordinators over 5 years you are killing the QB---no matter how good/talented they are

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been plenty of QBs we could have drafted the last 3 years that had talent and were worth taking a shot at like; Skelton, Malllett and Wislon just to name a very few we should have had.

Having a set of QBs like Skelton, Mallett and Fitz would be way better than what we have now.

When you draft a QB in rounds 3-7 you have a fan base that always wants to see what the backup can do every time the starter throws an INT or falters at all. Unless of course you have a superstar at QB like Brady, Brees or Manning. It generally takes 3-4 years for a QB to develop properly, and that is time wasted if that "maybe" guy turns out to be a bum.

You need to think back to 2010, Chan Gailey thought Trent Edwards could do the job....

The way Nix drafts I'd have to say unless the Bills get that #1 overall pick or a good QB falls to them somehow in the 1st round next year, I don't see the Bills drafting a QB.

Kinda really sucks Andrew Luck decided to stay in school, the Bills would have had either Newton or Luck

Edited by Fear the Beard

Don't sleep on Geno Smith who IMO is the QB who is most likely to be taken by the Bills right now.

Hell no!!! :death: :death: :death: :death: :death: :death:

I'm sick of these athletic QBs we need a real QB that's pocket passer with decent mobility.

My biggest fear is that Fitz plays mediocre and gets injured half way through the season. The coaching staff still believes in him and they role with him and TJ again next year... bleh..

I would trade up and get the best possible guy you can afford next yr.

I'll be watching Geno Smith and Logan Thomas, both of whom i believe will be on our radar after the season.

What is with you guys and Geno Smith, he's just a tall running back. :doh:

Our real problem, outside of crappy coaches and drafting and leadership in the organization over the last twenty years, was that we were always just crappy enough to eek out 6-7-8 wins. We never bottomed out to a 2-14 or 3-13 season to get the real franchise QB. Sure, guys like Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers can be found, but both of them would likely have been run out of town if they wer picked by the Bills, and floundered because of crappy coaching, OL, organization, draft picks, etc. It took both of them about 4-5 years to be great (even though Brees had one pretty good year in year 3 IIRC and the Chargers had already drafted his replacement because they werent sold on him.

The one time we could have got our guy, last year, Andrew Luck decided to stay in school, where 90% of the guys in his posiition, likely the #1 overall pick as well as his college coach already gone would have opted for the draft. Newton very likely would have been available at #3 and we would have taken him ahead of Dareus.

We have made some bad choices at QB. Losman was a bad choice because we traded up and he was a #1 pick with a lot of talent. He and we screwed up. Edwards was never going to be a star player, even if some fans loved him at first. It's not like we have a consistently avoided QBs who were sure to be great, we really werent in much of a position to draft one that was an obvious choice.

Agreed..See the same that I posted in another thread...

Year: QBs picked before Bills Pick : QBs picked after Bills pick (in 1st Round)

2012: Luck, Griffin Tannehill | Weeden

2011: Newton | Locker, Gabbert, Ponder

2010: Bradford, | Tebow

2009: Stafford, Sanchez | Freeman

2008: Ryan | Flacco

2007: Russell | Brady Quinn

2006: Young | Leinart, Cutler

2005: Smith | Rodgers, Campbell

2004: Manning, Rivers, Rothelisberger, | Losman

I will stop here... The bottom line is the QBs that have been picked after the Bills pick in the 1st round have all been crap except for Flacco, Rodgers and Cutler...We definitely should have picked up Cutler when we had the chance, but that is the year Marv and Dick blew it up.. Of course, the situation was also that the Bills still hadn't given Losman a decent chance to start. The same with Rodgers. Rest of those years, the QBs that are franchise QBs in Manning, Rivers, Rothelisberger, Ryan, Stafford and Newton were all long gone. Remember these players were also drafted in an era where besides doling out many draft picks, the team also had to sign them to 30-50M guaranteed contracts....The Bills were in no position to do that.

are you saying that Geno Smith, from WVU is a glorified RB? seriously?!

He has less than 200 yds rushing over 3 yrs.

in the last 2 seasons he passed for over 7000 yds, 55tds and only 14 ints. 4300plus yds last yr. That doesnt sound like a RB to me, stop looking at his skin, and pay attention to his play.

Edited by CarolinaBill

are you saying that Geno Smith, from WVU is a glorified RB? seriously?!

He has less than 200 yds rushing over 3 yrs.

in the last 2 seasons he passed for over 7000 yds, 55tds and only 14 ints. 4300plus yds last yr. That doesnt sound like a RB to me, stop looking at his skin, and pay attention to his play.

QFT

Personally this is what makes me excited about this season. For the first time in a long time I have some faith that the organization is no longer going to be able to avoid the QB problem that has plagued this team for a decade and change. If Fitz steps up this year and proves all his supporters correct -- fantastic. This team has holes, but is a playoff contender right now. If Fitz is the man, use next year's draft to plug the holes and we'll be contenders.

If Fitz can't lead this team to the playoffs this year, this organization will, I believe, make a bold move for a QB at the top of the draft. Even at the expense of future picks. We have come as far as we can without an elite QB -- either Fitz takes that role this year or we roll the dice on a rook in '13.

This is it...

Lets look at those QBs and see how stable their offense coordinator/offensive philosophy and head coaching have been vs what happened in Buffalo.

Doesnt matter how great a QB is...if you run them through something like 4 offensive coordinators over 5 years you are killing the QB---no matter how good/talented they are

Losman wasn't helped out by circumstance, that is true. On the other hand, he is nowhere close to being as good a player as those other 3. I mean he can't even find a job as a backup and its not like there aren't teams totally desperate at the position. Want more examples? John McCargo is nowhere close to being as good a player as Ngata, either. Posluzny can at least get on the field, but he isn't as talented as Patrick Willis. If the board is set with groups of players as "equals" but your team is always drafting the Maybins of these elite groups, something is very wrong. My point was simply to echo my signature line. The Bills drafting was terrible for a decade. Almost as if they wanted to suck. But that's not to say they didn't have other problems as well.

Edit: With regards to Losman, they also felt that his group was better than all the QBs coming out in the next class. So, they had Losman rated higher than Aaron Rodgers.

I mentioned Posluzny above, but I don't think that is quite the same. It is one thing to draft players that can play, albeit maybe not quite at the level you project them to be as a scout. It is quite another thing to get your projections completely upside down and project guys that cannot play as possible future Hall of Famers.

Hows that Ryan Mallet doing?

I guessing you don't follow the game too closely, if you're asking that question

Mallett seems to be doing just fine, and has plenty of time to develop

(I doubt he's under any pressure to replace any time soon)

Link -Ryan Mallett makes impact; Auspicious outing by apprentice QB (Boston Herald)

Try watching him tonite against the Giants, and judge for yourself

Can someone tell me the NFL 2013 QBs to watch (that I don't already know about) please? I'm in a dyansty ff league with a salary cap and I need to pickup a guy on the cheap.

In all seriousness, let's wait to see what happens in the reg season with Fitz before worrying about this. If we get to the playoffs with Fitz, I don't think they're drafting a qb in the first or trading up to get one. If we don't get to the playoffs, it will be because of qb play. Good thing is I believe we have the right people in place to pick the best guy for the job.

Can someone tell me the NFL 2013 QBs to watch (that I don't already know about) please? I'm in a dyansty ff league with a salary cap and I need to pickup a guy on the cheap.

In all seriousness, let's wait to see what happens in the reg season with Fitz before worrying about this. If we get to the playoffs with Fitz, I don't think they're drafting a qb in the first or trading up to get one. If we don't get to the playoffs, it will be because of qb play. Good thing is I believe we have the right people in place to pick the best guy for the job.

Mike Glennon from NC State is a good one to keep an eye on.