Which QB from the past few years do you wish we had drafted or signed?

major

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colt McCoy has the potential to be a (very, very) poor man's version of Brees. The kid has less than ideal measurables, shows some flashes of big time playmaking but otherwise just can't find consistency, then gets shuffled to the back of the line by his respective team.

I don't think for a minute Colt will do what Brees has done, but would I take a chance on the kid? Hell yes. From what I've seen of McCoy, he's got some mental toughness and determination. That can go a LONG way toward driving your physical game to maturity.

When was Drew Brees released by San Diego?

He was a FA and wouldn't resign on the offered terms.

They had already drafted his replacement, though, so it wasn't a matter of him being difficult and the team going another direction as a result..they didn't want him as their long term solution.

These kinds of questions can never address one thing - you never know how a player would develop differently had he gone into other circumstances. Who knows if Brees would've been as successful had he not been surrounded by that New Orleans offense? Likewise, who knows if Colt McCoy would've been more successful had he landed somewhere else? Aaron Rodgers - he certainly wouldn't have been as successful on these past Bills teams.

However - that is why I threw out Cam Newton's name. He is the one QB (and, I know we couldn't have got him, and would've if we could've) who is so physically super-talented that he probably would've been good anywhere, in any system. Just about everyone else, though, I think depended heavily on where they played.

Interesting bit on Brees. SD had given up on him & drafted Rivers with the intent to have him start as a rookie. Rivers held out deep into the offseason & by the time he signed he didn't have time to pick up the offense so Brees played & lit it up. If Rivers doesn't hold out, at the end of the season Brees is a FA bust, likely signs somewhere as a back up, & the legend of Drew Brees never happens.

Drew brees when released by sandiego

Bingo! I thought the same thing. Looking back I think the Dolphins were the only team besides NO that showed any interest because of the injury he was coming off of.

I read this forum a lot. I don't often post. But, I will say this: At this point in the preseason, I'm getting pretty sick of these threads that are little more than thinly veiled excuses to bemoan our current starting quarterback. We didn't draft McCoy, Clausen, or Gabbert. We didn't trade for Vick, or Palmer, or Flynn. Our man is Fitzpatrick. Get over it.

(Unless you want to talk more about Tebow, God, how I love him!)

I remember some fans on this board wanting us to draft Colt McCoy, Christian Ponder, Gabbert, Jimmy Clausen, etc...

I also remember hearing that our Bills toyed with the idea of bringing Michael Vick here when TO signed.

All that to say, if you had it to do over again, which QB do you wish we had signed?

none they all stink

I read this forum a lot. I don't often post. But, I will say this: At this point in the preseason, I'm getting pretty sick of these threads that are little more than thinly veiled excuses to bemoan our current starting quarterback. We didn't draft McCoy, Clausen, or Gabbert. We didn't trade for Vick, or Palmer, or Flynn. Our man is Fitzpatrick. Get over it.

(Unless you want to talk more about Tebow, God, how I love him!)

Fitz is our guy as of today...there will come a time when he's NOT the guy if he doesn't get back to the way he was playing in the first part of last season. Some of the guys we talk about may not be available right now, but they very well could become availalbe in the future should we (that is, Nix and Gailey) start to lose confidence in Fitzy. I want nothing more than for Fitz to lead us to the playoffs and beyond....but with the amount of talent we're putting on the field, especially young talent, there will come a point where we (again, we meaning Nix and Gailey) won't allow an underachieving QB to hold us back.

Let me qualify this post by stating that I'm an unabashed Bills booster and have tended to look at things optimistically. But I always try to look at things objectively.

As with almost every discussion surrounding the Bills, I'll restrict the conversation to the period managed by the current regime. For one thing, I don't care to cry over spilt milk. For another thing, the new regime has been in place long enough that we can start to critique their work.

The 2010 draft saw the Bills pass on Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy which is most likely a very good thing based on where they were drafted and how they've done so far.

Only hardcore Tebow-philes would prefer Tebow to Spiller.

The fact that the Bills drafted Torrell Troup who is looking like a bust, rather than Jimmy Clausen is irrelevant. Clausen will never amount to anything in this league. While Troup may prove to be a draft mistake you wouldn't mention Clausen as someone who should have been taken instead.

Ditto with Colt McCoy and Alex Carrington. I do not believe McCoy will ever amount to anything in this league other than maybe a decent backup so while you'd rather the Bills drafted someone other than Carrington, you wouldn't say that person should have been Clausen.

However, the following draft in 2011 is very interesting. Almost unanimously the Bills were lauded for the Marcell Dareus pick. His selection was viewed as pretty much a no-brainer. I personally love Dareus and think he'll have a great career. However the Titans had the conviction to draft Jake Locker (they stated their belief that he would be the next Brett Favre) at number 8 and the Vikings took Christian Ponder at number 12. You can't criticize the Bills selection of Dareus but it's interesting that the Bills coached Ponder in the Senior Bowl but didn't feel he could develop into a franchise quarterback. They say faint heart never won fair lady and there's a chance that in retrospect, the Bills passed on two franchise quarterbacks because they made the safe pick in Dareus. A case of no guts no glory?

In the 2nd round of that draft, the Bills chose CB Aaron Williams one pick before the Bengals selected Andy Dalton. If this decision comes back to haunt the team, it'll be a major whiff because like the Ponder decision, the Bills staff passed on a quarterback whom they coached in the Senior Bowl.

Other QBs the Bills passed on in 2011 were Kaepernick and Mallett. Passing on these guys doesn't bother me personally although the Bills did draft Kelvin Sheppard instead of Mallett. FWIW, Sheppard impressed the Bills staff when they coached him in the Senior Bowl.

In the 2012 draft, the Bills took Stephon Gilmore when they had the chance (for better or worse) to draft Ryan Tannehill or Brandon Weeden. Like the Dareus pick in 2011, no one of any repute has criticized the Bills selection but if Tannehill or Weeden prove to be worth their draft positions, there's a possibility that the Gilmore selection may someday be viewed as a mistake.

Also this past April, many believe that the Bills would have taken Russell Wilson in round 4 had he slid that far. He didn't. The Bills took TJ Graham in the 3rd round six picks before Wilson went to the Seahawks.

It's still slightly premature but it's looking like the Aaron Williams pick might have been a mistake. Time will tell if the Bills erred on passing up Locker, Ponder, Tannehill, Weeden, or Wilson.

I remember some fans on this board wanting us to draft Colt McCoy, Christian Ponder, Gabbert, Jimmy Clausen, etc...

I also remember hearing that our Bills toyed with the idea of bringing Michael Vick here when TO signed.

All that to say, if you had it to do over again, which QB do you wish we had signed?

Wow where do I begin; Skelton , Mallet, BJ Coleman, Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Dalton, Kaepernick, Tebow ...

Drew brees when released by sandiego

YES! How could I forget, Got into an argument with a guy a work who said he was injured and we had JP but I said you always take a proven starter over a potential prospect.