Which QB from the past few years do you wish we had drafted or signed?

major

Let me qualify this post by stating that I'm an unabashed Bills booster and have tended to look at things optimistically. But I always try to look at things objectively.

As with almost every discussion surrounding the Bills, I'll restrict the conversation to the period managed by the current regime. For one thing, I don't care to cry over spilt milk. For another thing, the new regime has been in place long enough that we can start to critique their work.

The 2010 draft saw the Bills pass on Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy which is most likely a very good thing based on where they were drafted and how they've done so far.

Only hardcore Tebow-philes would prefer Tebow to Spiller.

The fact that the Bills drafted Torrell Troup who is looking like a bust, rather than Jimmy Clausen is irrelevant. Clausen will never amount to anything in this league. While Troup may prove to be a draft mistake you wouldn't mention Clausen as someone who should have been taken instead.

Ditto with Colt McCoy and Alex Carrington. I do not believe McCoy will ever amount to anything in this league other than maybe a decent backup so while you'd rather the Bills drafted someone other than Carrington, you wouldn't say that person should have been Clausen.

However, the following draft in 2011 is very interesting. Almost unanimously the Bills were lauded for the Marcell Dareus pick. His selection was viewed as pretty much a no-brainer. I personally love Dareus and think he'll have a great career. However the Titans had the conviction to draft Jake Locker (they stated their belief that he would be the next Brett Favre) at number 8 and the Vikings took Christian Ponder at number 12. You can't criticize the Bills selection of Dareus but it's interesting that the Bills coached Ponder in the Senior Bowl but didn't feel he could develop into a franchise quarterback. They say faint heart never won fair lady and there's a chance that in retrospect, the Bills passed on two franchise quarterbacks because they made the safe pick in Dareus. A case of no guts no glory?

In the 2nd round of that draft, the Bills chose CB Aaron Williams one pick before the Bengals selected Andy Dalton. If this decision comes back to haunt the team, it'll be a major whiff because like the Ponder decision, the Bills staff passed on a quarterback whom they coached in the Senior Bowl.

Other QBs the Bills passed on in 2011 were Kaepernick and Mallett. Passing on these guys doesn't bother me personally although the Bills did draft Kelvin Sheppard instead of Mallett. FWIW, Sheppard impressed the Bills staff when they coached him in the Senior Bowl.

In the 2012 draft, the Bills took Stephon Gilmore when they had the chance (for better or worse) to draft Ryan Tannehill or Brandon Weeden. Like the Dareus pick in 2011, no one of any repute has criticized the Bills selection but if Tannehill or Weeden prove to be worth their draft positions, there's a possibility that the Gilmore selection may someday be viewed as a mistake.

Also this past April, many believe that the Bills would have taken Russell Wilson in round 4 had he slid that far. He didn't. The Bills took TJ Graham in the 3rd round six picks before Wilson went to the Seahawks.

It's still slightly premature but it's looking like the Aaron Williams pick might have been a mistake. Time will tell if the Bills erred on passing up Locker, Ponder, Tannehill, Weeden, or Wilson.

The 2011 draft was REALLY interesting, cause several of those QBs went way before they were slotted pre-draft. I think many of us thought for sure we'd have a shot at at least a couple of them after the first round, and even into possibly the third round, but teams pulled the trigger early.

Two other names that the Bills have been high on this year were Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles. Both have shown well this preseason, and I think they will remain on the Bills watch list. I think now that we have some young talent and some semblance of depth, the Bills would be more likely to consider trading draft picks for back-up QBs that seem to be transitioning well to the pro game and/or someone they may have missed out on the chance to draft.

We really need Fitzy to make this whole thing a moot point, though....so get ur stojan together, 14.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, none of them. There were only four QBs in the last three years that I would have wanted based on their college games, and we didn't have a shot at any of them.

GO BILLS!!!

So Andy Dalton, rookie Pro Bowl QB, that we had a shot at without moving anywhere in the draft, does not make your list?

Matt Schaub,traded March 2007 for 2 second round draft picks. Come guys anyone not think he would have done better than JP Losman and Trent Edwards?

Aaron Rogers but that's hindsight, though we didn't have a 1st round pick that year, thanks JP Losman.

Joe Flacco instead of drafting McKelvin is another one.

Plus I really feel Russell Wilson is going to be a good one but that's 100% speculation while the other three have shown they can play.

Edited by KRT88

Drew Brees in 2001... honestly liked him coming out of college - honestly never saw him being this good and... honestly know that he'd be out of the league 5+ years ago if he had been coached by the guys that ran our team back then...

Honestly....

So Andy Dalton, rookie Pro Bowl QB, that we had a shot at without moving anywhere in the draft, does not make your list?

It shouldn't.. not if it means using the 3rd overall selection on him, and missing out on Marcel Dareus.

Goodell told Vick that Buffalo was not a good match for him. Needed a team where he would sit on the depth chart for at least a year, I think there was another reason but forget off the top of my head.

The hotels?

It shouldn't.. not if it means using the 3rd overall selection on him, and missing out on Marcel Dareus.

If you bothered reading the thread you'd have seen that the Bills took Aaron Williams in the second round one pick before the Bengals took Dalton.

No. But only because I'm not doing this from a hindsight point of view. If hindsight is involved, I could go back and field a roster of All Pros at every position. Of course I would have been happy with those players. But that's too easy.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't see Dalton as appreciably better than Fitz. Sure he's young and could improve, but he and Fitz have similar strengths and weaknesses. If you're going to burn a pick on a QB I'd want it to be on someone who can bring something to the table that Fitz can't.

I don't see Dalton as appreciably better than Fitz. Sure he's young and could improve, but he and Fitz have similar strengths and weaknesses. If you're going to burn a pick on a QB I'd want it to be on someone who can bring something to the table that Fitz can't.

They're both very smart, poised and lacking in totally elite skills.

That said, they're not the same player either. Varying shades of grey and sometimes those incremental differences in the individual make a big difference in the game.

They're both very smart, poised and lacking in totally elite skills.

That said, they're not the same player either. Varying shades of grey and sometimes those incremental differences in the individual make a big difference in the game.

I don't disagree, but I haven't seen enough yet to make me think Dalton over Fitz would be a difference maker. Time will tell.