Rochester D&C website is no longer accessible to non-subs

Damian

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gannett being Gannett

This is a dangerous trend in America. The media (both broadcast and print) is controlled by only a couple companies who can dictate content and access. Now the government has determined that they can shut down the internet and other forms of communication legally if they deem it necessary. Goodbye freedom and democracy.

This message board had its origins on the D&C web site and evolved into what it is today. Online news outlets are evolving too. Fortunately readers still have a plethora of free sites to access for sports news.

BTW, I still have my "Beat the Geek" bumpersticker from the D&C. Anyone else remember that?

A large part of the problem is that people have changed the way they read. Gone are the days when someone would read The Buffalo News, a national paper, and perhaps a weekly news magazine. Now, we tend to read a little bit from the News, a little from the D&C, a little from blogs, perhaps covering 20-30 sources in a week.

Newspapers charge fees that assume you are reading/are interesting in reading the entire paper, which is no longer the case. I would pay $13/month if it covered half of my news reading. But it doesn't. I think it will take a few years for papers to realign themselves in such a way that a subscription covers the type of broad base reading that most people currently engage in on the internet. For example, Google might own a couple dozen newspapers and you would buy a subscription to Google News. Or newspapers would create a sports-only subscription that would allow you to access the sports section from 40-50 newspapers in US professional sports markets. It's all going to take awhile though.

Sign of the times. 'Papers can't make money if they give away their work online for free.

Except that is not true. It's unfortunate that because they made money 'in one way' for awhile that they refuse to adjust and make money in new ways. Why would you actively choose to keep making stage coaches when there are automobiles?

Basically as people said, use private browsing or just clear out your CACHE and Cookies. Thats how they are tracking it, they are putting cookies on your computer and when you max out they lock you out. If you keep them clean, or use the private browsing option (which doesnt store cookies) you can get around their ancient tracking technology

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. The $13-per-month subscription price breaks down to $3 a week. If that's a financial hardship, then you have bigger problems than the price of an online subscription.

Whether it is or isn't a financial hardship has nothing to do with the issue. The issue is that the value does not merit the price.

I'll give you buckets of my sh*t for a dollar. Is that worth the price to you?

Whether it is or isn't a financial hardship has nothing to do with the issue. The issue is that the value does not merit the price.

I'll give you buckets of my sh*t for a dollar. Is that worth the price to you?

it's also really slowwwwwww, orders of magnitude slower than the BuffNews, and it won't respond until almost all of the images and ads are loaded