Lee Evans released

silvermike

Tim Graham reported Nix has already said "no" to the prospect of bringing Evans back. Check the "press coverage" blog on the Buff News site.

End of story.

umm, maybe it's me, but I can't find any mention of Nix and Lee Evans on the Press Coverage blog. TG posts about FredEx, starts a poll (and talks about the results), but nothing about Nix. Where does the GM say no?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure what happened to Lee Evans, I know the Bulldog said on his show that without J.P. Losman and the long pass the guy is basically useless in Buffalo.

I was one of those who bemoaned the Evans trade because he seemed like a classy guy. But even then I understood Lee's biggest contributions were when Losman was the QB. JP could throw a nice deep ball and running the 'go' was the only thing Lee really excelled at. Lee doesn't fit Chan's offense. And if he's truly lost a step, it might be time for him to start a second career.

umm, maybe it's me, but I can't find any mention of Nix and Lee Evans on the Press Coverage blog. TG posts about FredEx, starts a poll (and talks about the results), but nothing about Nix. Where does the GM say no?

I don't know if Graham reported it, but I heard some of the John Murphy Show yesterday and he said he asked Buddy if they had an interest in Evans, and Buddy just had one word - No.

It was a fantastic defensive play--- but he probably should have held on to it. Honestly, it's not Lee's fault he only played in a hanful of meaningful games during his career in Buffalo. But I think that lack of intensity exhibited in this play can at least in part be attributed to going through the motions year after year in meaningless football games--- close games that matter against tough opponents will hone the concentration and will to win for athletes and without that environment, I think it's nigh impossible to just "turn it on" because a guy switches teams and finds himself in the playoffs after 10 fruitless years.

But again--- he probably should have caught it.

Great post... precisely why it makes no sense to keep a long time loser like Chris Kelsay on this team.

What I am saying is that fans watching TV insist they know talent better than NFL staffs who actually work with players.

PTR

ya like when us fans only saw trent edwards play on tv,but gailey and nix thought they could resurrect him and named hm the 2010 starter. what did we know!

We see alot on tv because the games are what count, not the practices. coaches who sign guys off other teams do this mainly from what they saw in games also. They dont have daily interactions with them. I think if anyones biased its coaches who draft and sign 'their own" and cant admit when they messed up, and stay attatched way too long. We are far less biased as fans (most of us)

Usually i agree w you ptr, but whats going on with you lately? you will need to admit youre wrong when lee gets signed by the next team and contributes.

What proves your argument more than anything is the fact that Lee has been traded for a 4th, injured for the majority of a season, and cut from 2 different teams in 6 months. And this is all after one of the worst years of his career. Unfortunately for us people that see things logically, the "crushers" will never let it go. Its like the guy that has his heart broken by his girl but still drives by her house every once in a while. It's just sad now.

to me thats the whole reason this has happened. he was injured before being traded, then injured again , then had a bad afc non-catch(not drop) then he picks the jags and thinks he'll be a # 3 or a 4. maybe lee asked for a release? maybe this is still injury related.

Maybe you all said the same things about takeo spikes when he got hurt, then cut, then went to two teams, then played great for another 3-4 years. Or a guy named lynch, wou was traded for a fourth, played backup on the seahawks for half a season, now look at how crappy he is playing. Or maybe youve heard of old washed up london fletcher, is he still around? we cut his worthless a$$ right? we replaced him with a better guy (Poz,who we let go already) oh and howd our mcgahee trade work out? did we finally get a running back after spending two first rounders to replace him? does he still play after being cut by the ravens? isnt he 31? isnt our starting RB 31?

Logic? maybe if you take two seconds to look at history you could see how many players we said were washed up, or too old and then spent years trying to replace them, the whole while watching them rack up numbers for another team.

Edited by loserlovers

to me thats the whole reason this has happened. he was injured before being traded, then injuredagain , then had a bad afc non-catch(not drop) then he picks the jags and thinks he'll be a # 3 or a 4. maybe he asked for a release? maybe this is still injury related.

Maybe you all said the same things about takeo spikes when he got hurt, then cut, then went to two teams, then played great for another 3-4 years. Or a guy named lynch, wou was traded for a fourth, played backup on the seahawks for half a season, now look at how crappy he is playing. Or maybe youve heard of old washed up london fletcher, is he still around? we cut his worthless a$$ right? we replaced him with a better guy (who we let go already,Poz) oh and howd our mcgahee trade work out? did we finally get a running back after spending two first rounders to replace him? does he still play after being cut by the ravens?isnt he 31? isnt our starting RB?

maybe if you take two seconds to look at history you could see how many players we said were washed up, or too old and then spent years trying to replace them, the whole while watching them rack up numbers for another team.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I never said any of those guys were washed up. Spikes, for example was STILL playing at a high level when he got hurt. Fletcher never slowed down. McGahee, as big a jerk as he was, could still run the ball. Lynch certainly wasn't traded because he'd lost a step. Evans, on the other hand, had a CLEAR and MARKED decline starting in 2009. It was clear then that he wasn't the same as he'd always been. Yes, poor QB play was a contributing factor, but he was having problems getting consistent separation in his routes that entire season and again in 2010, something that he didn't struggle with previously. Injuries have slowed him even further since. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he is able to return to form with another team.

GO BILLS!!!

ya like when us fans only saw trent edwards play on tv,but gailey and nix thought they could resurrect him and named hm the 2010 starter. what did we know!

We see alot on tv because the games are what count, not the practices. coaches who sign guys off other teams do this mainly from what they saw in games also. They dont have daily interactions with them. I think if anyones biased its coaches who draft and sign 'their own" and cant admit when they messed up, and stay attatched way too long. We are far less biased as fans (most of us)

Usually i agree w you ptr, but whats going on with you lately? you will need to admit youre wrong when lee gets signed by the next team and contributes.

To be fair... In that preseason Trent was awesome, practice too. He looked like Gailey had fixed him

To be fair... In that preseason Trent was awesome, practice too. He looked like Gailey had fixed him

ii dont remember awesome, i remember alot of saying how he didnt read the defense, or go deep still,, i remember beat writers saying he kept getting hit on the chin in practice and throwing wobbly deep balls. The main point was, being cut means nothing, and being kept, can mean nothing, and being injured is temporary. and that coaches are more biased than us. we want everyone cut or traded it seems and say everyones "finished" after 30

to me thats the whole reason this has happened. he was injured before being traded, then injured again , then had a bad afc non-catch(not drop) then he picks the jags and thinks he'll be a # 3 or a 4. maybe lee asked for a release? maybe this is still injury related.

Maybe you all said the same things about takeo spikes when he got hurt, then cut, then went to two teams, then played great for another 3-4 years. Or a guy named lynch, wou was traded for a fourth, played backup on the seahawks for half a season, now look at how crappy he is playing. Or maybe youve heard of old washed up london fletcher, is he still around? we cut his worthless a$$ right? we replaced him with a better guy (Poz,who we let go already) oh and howd our mcgahee trade work out? did we finally get a running back after spending two first rounders to replace him? does he still play after being cut by the ravens? isnt he 31? isnt our starting RB 31?

Logic? maybe if you take two seconds to look at history you could see how many players we said were washed up, or too old and then spent years trying to replace them, the whole while watching them rack up numbers for another team.

Did any of those players completely stink for 3 straight years?

Maybe you should point out what a great decoy Evans was.

well, let's see here.

Spikes: was playing at a high level at the time of his injury, however his injury was (at least at the time) not good as far as recovery.

McGahee: was playing well at his departure, the only reason why he was traded is because he pretty much demanded a trade and we all know he ran himself out of town. If you don't know that, your either blind or not in town.

Lynch: also playing well, however at the time had already served a suspension and was becoming an off the field distraction. He was as bad as a person as you can think of. Drunk driving, in vehicles with illegal drugs and loaded weapons. That's not a good mix. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

Fletcher: Also playing at a high level when he was let go. It was a bad descision to say the least but in general, at the time it was getting close to the time that someone his age starts to slow down. He has proved to the league that he's dominant no matter what and it's not the norm.

Poz: was another issue. Was playing well when he played. The only problem is that he was never healthy and playing. The guy missed over a full season and a half in 3 years. That's not a good track record. He was up for a new contract for a rediculous amount of money for someone that can't stay on the field, not to mention not a fit for a 3-4 defense and he refused to play a different position. Regardless of the fact that we've already switched back, the majority of just about everyone on this board wanted the 3-4 at the time.

The only one on this List that I can actually say was a mistake is Fletcher. Wish he was still here. Always liked the guy. Even Spikes had a few blunderous years after he left here.

But this isn't about any one of these players. This is about Lee Evans. Not a single one of these players is dependant on thier speed as much as Lee Evans is and he is now getting old and losing his speed. He is now old and getting injured. He is now old and losing a step and that's based on his statistical performance over the last few years. If it was just the Bills that let him go and that's the only basis for my argument I'd say you have something. But it's not. It's now 3 teams in less than a year that don't want him and one of those teams is well known for finding talent. If I'm wrong I'll gladly eat my crow but for anyone to argue that he's still really good is rediculous based on his numbers over the last 3 years. If you added his last 3 years together he still wouldn't be as good as Stevie and he's not even considered a top 10 WR in this league.

I really can't say anymore to base my argument other than the factual evidence based on official statistics than I already have. If you still feel he's great, then I'll let you think that. I'm done here.

Edited by mrags

I really can't say anymore to base my argument other than the factual evidence based on official statistics than I already have. If you still feel he's great, then I'll let you think that. I'm done here.

are you done? really? So you missed the point and made a few assumptions

1. you know lee evans "lost a step"? how do you know this? he played well in the afc champ game, he had 5 catches and a huge missed td, just like SJ in his much revered REVIS GAME. we lost that game on SJ's drop but now we say it was a all-league performance.

2. the point made about spikes,fletcher, and mcgahee wasnt about attitude, its about waiting to see if the injury or age really will matter, rather than just cutting a guy the year hes injured and assuming hes "done". (notice how now we wait on easley and meriman for years)

3. also mcgahee was cut by the ravens, did that mean he was "done"? hes 31 and lost a step but still gets it done. did evans also lose his hands because of age?

4.lynch and poz were mentioned as the replacements to fletcher and mcgahee, we wasted first rounders on those two and they didnt work out. we could have just kept london and mcgahee and forced mcgahee to play out his contract. but thats besides the point.

instead of asking if i was out of town or suggesting im clueless, read the post better and you will see nothing i said can be argued. no one here knows for sure lee evans true condition and trying to guess it due to his being cut...is just a guess. We now have to hope easley or graham are as good as evans was....and I highly doubt they will be.

if evans has a good year it will be one more example of us shippin out an injured player who makes a comeback for someone else.

Ok, now I can't find it. Maybe it was a tweet. Basically, it was reported that somebody asked Nix if he had any interest in bringing back Evans and he gave a one word response: "No." Sorry for the misleading link info.

Great post... precisely why it makes no sense to keep a long time loser like Chris Kelsay on this team.

So, is every veteran who has had the unfortunate experience of playing on bad teams a "long-time loser" who doesn't deserve to play for a winner or team on the upswing?

Serious question.

I appreciated having Evans in Buffalo. In his time here he was one of the Bills better receivers. Speed was his forte. Now we have 2 receivers (Easley and Graham) who I believe may be comperable in this area. If the purpose of bringing him back is to stretch the field, and the knocks on him are that he is a 'one trick pony'...wouldn't that make graham a more than adequate replacement. I believe that has been the critique on Graham. When i look at them in this light, I prefer the younger player who may well improve with coaching and experience rather than Evans who may be on the decline.

You should have watched some of the games last season. Outside of the couple games he missed with an injury, Kelsay was if not the best player on the defense, then pretty darn close all year. Because he was on a sucky ass team his whole career makes him a loser? I guess O.J. Simpson was a loser, Joe D. and the rest of the Electric Company were losers, they played in what, 1 playoff game their entire career?

are you done? really? So you missed the point and made a few assumptions

1. you know lee evans "lost a step"? how do you know this? he played well in the afc champ game, he had 5 catches and a huge missed td, just like SJ in his much revered REVIS GAME. we lost that game on SJ's drop but now we say it was a all-league performance.

2. the point made about spikes,fletcher, and mcgahee wasnt about attitude, its about waiting to see if the injury or age really will matter, rather than just cutting a guy the year hes injured and assuming hes "done". (notice how now we wait on easley and meriman for years)

3. also mcgahee was cut by the ravens, did that mean he was "done"? hes 31 and lost a step but still gets it done. did evans also lose his hands because of age?

4.lynch and poz were mentioned as the replacements to fletcher and mcgahee, we wasted first rounders on those two and they didnt work out. we could have just kept london and mcgahee and forced mcgahee to play out his contract. but thats besides the point.

instead of asking if i was out of town or suggesting im clueless, read the post better and you will see nothing i said can be argued. no one here knows for sure lee evans true condition and trying to guess it due to his being cut...is just a guess. We now have to hope easley or graham are as good as evans was....and I highly doubt they will be.

if evans has a good year it will be one more example of us shippin out an injured player who makes a comeback for someone else.

First, I'm not going to mention the other players again that have been shipped out of town. This thread isn't about them. It's about Lee Evans. I know he has lost a step because THE ONLY OFFICIAL WAY TO JUDGE A PLAYERS PLAY IS BY HIS STATISTICS!!! You can't judge him by the "IT" factor, you can't judge him by how nice he is, you can't judge him by how old he is, you can't judge him anything else. The only sure way to do it is by his production. And Lees production has been horrible the last 3 years in a row. And before those 3 years it was only good for 2 of the rest. Not great but good. I'm not saying he CANT come back and be productive but I'm saying the odds are against him at this point. He was MOSTLY a speed demon. Not saying he woulnt or couldn't run many routes. I don't care how many routes he can run. He didn't. He mostly ran flys and posts and after being 31 and after a few injuries it doesn't look good. Again, not saying he won't or can't be as fast but the odds are against him. You don't see too many 31 year olds running the 100m dash in the Olympics do you??? They don't because they generally can't keep up with the young 22 year olds. It's just a fact that when you get older you slow down. I'm not going to male a guess how old you are but I'm over 30 and I can tell you I don't move the way I did when I was 22. Ya I'm sure it's not always the case but the general consensus is that people slow down as they get older.

I will comment on Stevie J and his game against the Jets. I will not compare it to Lee because there is no comparison to make. I'm only mentioning it because you made a point to say everyone thinks this performance was all worldly. There's a reason for that. He put up that performance against agruably the best CB in the game today. That's the Only reason why people think it was good.

As far as Easley or Graham goes. It doesn't matter if they will be better or not. Because they don't have to replace Lee Evans. That's not thier job. If they are better, great, if not, I don't care. We got A draft pick for an aging WR that is now battling injuries and was on his last year of his contract and wouldn't have been resigned anyway.

Instead of stating your unconditional love for Lee Evans and hating on the Bills and all the moves they make, take a look at some of the guys they DID sign and kept as apposed to the few they didn't.

Freddy

Stevie

Fitz

Williams

McGee- which is proving to be a mistake

Wilson

for every guy you say is a mistake to let go of, I can name one that wasn't let go. It's a business and these things happen. We, as fans can't make a guy stay or want to stay in Buffalo. Guys like McGahee for example. If they want out, do you really want a guy like that playing out his contract? You really want his loud mouth in the locker room being a cancer to the rest of the team? Cmon bro. Your better than that. There is not 1 single person in Buffalo that Thought getting rid of Willis wasnt a good idea. And that's why I question your intelligence or where you live. Because if you lived here at the time of Willis' badmouthing the city and making comments about how the team would be better off in Toronto and you still wanted him then I don't know what to say.

On my final note. The HUGE reason why I think Lee Evans is finished is this: he was injured, traded, injured again, cut, picked up, cut again all within a year. The guys that know what they are taking about like Nix, Newsome, and whoever the Jags have have made my mind up for me. They are the professionals and do this everyday. They know talent when they see it. Like I said before. It's not like the Bills let him go and he is doing good now. He was let go by 3 NFL franchises. And he's not exactly lighting up the phones with calls now is he. Sure I don't know what's going on in the rest of the league and his Verizon service but in today's age with Twitter and Facebook and ESPN you pretty much know everytime one of these guys takes a piss let alone tries out for a team. I haven't heard Any of that. Heck, even TO who is hated by most and out of the league for a year got a job. Just saying man. The league proving you wrong at this point.

Edited by mrags