Lee Evans released

silvermike

Ok. First Lee supporter to reply to this post gets a bet with me for Lees career. I'll be in this for the long haul if needed but of be willing to bet that Lee won't play in another 16 games for the rest of his career. The first one that replies to this post gets a beer if I'm wrong. I won't even ask you for one, that's how certain I am that he's done.

I'll see ya on that. I've been a Lee fan since I saw him catch 5 TD's vs. Mich St. (I think it was)...

But I won't apologize for him, because ultimately, you have to find your own way to greatness no matter the odds or hand you've been dealt. He very much coulda walked away from the Bills, but he went for the $$. Let's hope he banked it and doesn't end up washed away in debt and misery like so many reported recently.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see ya on that. I've been a Lee fan since I saw him catch 5 TD's vs. Mich St. (I think it was)...

But I won't apologize for him, because ultimately, you have to find your own way to greatness no matter the odds or hand you've been dealt. He very much coulda walked away from the Bills, but he went for the $$. Let's hope he banked it and doesn't end up washed away in debt and misery like so many reported recently.

The beer is yours if I'm wrong sir.

It was a fantastic defensive play--- but he probably should have held on to it. Honestly, it's not Lee's fault he only played in a hanful of meaningful games during his career in Buffalo. But I think that lack of intensity exhibited in this play can at least in part be attributed to going through the motions year after year in meaningless football games--- close games that matter against tough opponents will hone the concentration and will to win for athletes and without that environment, I think it's nigh impossible to just "turn it on" because a guy switches teams and finds himself in the playoffs after 10 fruitless years.

But again--- he probably should have caught it.

Its crazy how his career just seemed to go downhill so quick. Hopefully somebody picks him up.

i think its more of coincedence than anything. He got hurt, got hurt again, had a very unlucky play in the afc champ game, then went to a crap jags team that is probably just going younger and doesnt need to "win it all" this year. I will laugh at everybody saying how "hes done" and "was done 4 years ago" when he catches his first td this season after being picked up by a contender. I just hope its not against us. But if it is....we deserve it, big time.

Just to set you straight, look at this play again. See how Evans had the ball in his hands. The defender then attempts to knock the ball loose and it comes out. You focus on the word 'drop'. Fine, even if we not call that a drop, that was clearly a ball which should have been secured quickly. Evans was facing the defender, he knew he was coming and yet did not do enough to hold on to it. This is the difference between physical receivers who will out-duel the defender for the ball and those that are over the hill and can make the cream puff catches only. Lee Evans had good hands once but never superlative. He was not one to consistently win the battle with a defender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIH-GrnnPVM

I was a big Evans fan. Here I will admit disagreeing with the Bills front office for trading him without a viable replacement. And yet, here we are with Evans unable to find a roster to hang on to. His legacy forever tainted by the one non-catch which could have made him almost immortal in Ravens-land. And the Bills walked away with a fairly high pick for his declined skills.

if you read my post, you will see i said he wasnt physical, but tht it wasnt a drop, thats a 100 percent accurate, it wasnt a drop, thats what i said. nothing about, if he shoulda had it. HE SHOULD HAVE. but the defender got lucky. not only hitting the ball perfectly straight down between his hands where they couldnt stop the force of the DB, but also if you look closely, he hit Lee's face mask in the same motion. Not excusing Lee but the PHYSICS of the play dont know it was a super bowl bound play or a pre season play.

Let me say this...many of Lees td's in his career, I noticed, were effortless, some one handed, in the endzone, along the sideline, dragging two toes. I was always amazed he didnt drop them but that was his advantage, being completely fluid and pure in his style. I dont think Lee ever had to be "physical", it wasnt really necessary. I think it was horrible luck, that the one time he needed to be like Micheal Irvin, or Andre Reed, he played soft and had the ball knocked out of his hands. But he did have "superaltive" hands which means he caught the balls that were in his hands, that a defender did not also get his hands on.

i think its more of coincedence than anything. He got hurt, got hurt again, had a very unlucky play in the afc champ game, then went to a crap jags team that is probably just going younger and doesnt need to "win it all" this year. I will laugh at everybody saying how "hes done" and "was done 4 years ago" when he catches his first td this season after being picked up by a contender. I just hope its not against us. But if it is....we deserve it, big time.

And what if your wrong about him? You should have gotten involved In my free beer if bet. Unfortunately you missed the timing. Don't worry, nobodya going to get a free beer anyway.

;-)

Lee Evans is done and over the hill, yet inconsistent players who have done ZERO in the NFL such as Jones, Easley, Roosevelt, and Hagan have NFL rosters?? Thats a joke. I would take Lee Evans as our number two still to this day without a question. Say what you want about the guy, but he is the only talent we have had at wideout since Eric Moulds (and of course Stevie still on the team). Lets please not make the Bills front office heros for trading away Lee Evans for Ron Brooks. Especially when we spent two high picks on CBs before selecting Brooks in the last two drafts. Lee always put up solid numbers with horrendous QBs, offensive lines, and no help on the other side of the field. Give the guy a break, especially when we are still crossing our fingers that MARCUS FREAKIN EASLEY CAN PLAY IN THE NFL!!!

Crushes die hard. In a league where talent is king fans will insist they know better than coaching staffs and front offices. My first girlfriend was the hottest girl ever....in 1975.

PTR

Are you really saying that fans are not able to spot a bad pick when they see it? And that FO's always know better than the fans? I know your job here is to protect the infallibility of the Bills FO, but is this something that you personally, truly believe?

Are you really saying that fans are not able to spot a bad pick when they see it? And that FO's always know better than the fans? I know your job here is to protect the infallibility of the Bills FO, but is this something that you personally, truly believe?

What I am saying is that fans watching TV insist they know talent better than NFL staffs who actually work with players.

PTR

LOL at most the posts in this thread saying his career is over. The guy is 31 years old, not 37. His career is not done. Jax is going young and with Mike Thomas and Blackman entrenched at 1 and 2 and expensive Laurent Robinson there for #3, having Evans did not make any sense any more.

People forget that they signed Evans BEFORE they brought in Robinson and were unsure about Thomas remaining there. They already have 2 vets in Thomas and Robinson, so a third Vet doesn't make a lot of sense on a rebuilding team that has young guys that Evans will take playing time away from. He was also on a one year deal and the easiest to cut.

So the fact Jax cut him does not signal the end of his career. Evans will land somewhere, and personally I always thought Jax was a horrible fit for him. Blaine has no deep game and Evans would be useless in that system.

I think the possibility of him landing in Buffalo again is less than 20%. I would bet Evans would be interested, but we already have a crowded WR group that needs experience and a downfield threat to develop in TJ Graham, so I don't think he would fit here barring injuries anymore. I can see teams like Car, Was, Dall, SD, Cle, Hou, Minn, Tenn, Phi, Den, or the Rams taking a look at him.

Top 3 likely landing spots/best fits IMHO: Hou, Minn, or Rams.

Houston: Need some other big play ability outside of AJ. Besides AJ, the other WR's are marginal at best on that team.

Minn: Lack much of any WR threats outside of Harvin who is questionable at best as a #1 WR to begin with.

Rams: They have lots of possession WR's (Steve Smith, Amendola, etc) but are short on deep threats and could use a weapon for Bradford that can stretch the field still.

People hate on him because of his lack of production in Balt last year. But people ignore the fact he got there via trade midway through preseason. And when he got into the games in preseason he looked like the best WR on that team. Then he got hurt and it lingered all year and he never got a chance to earn a spot in the rotation. What that did was open up the door for Torrey Smith to breakout and emerge and that made Evans expendable.

I still firmly believe that he can still be a good WR on the right team and to write him off at age 31 is a bit silly. I could be wrong, but thats just my 2 cents.

Mike Thomas is a likely roster cut as well.

Right now, Blackmon and Robinson are the top 2...Evans fell behind both Cecil Shorts and Thomas on the depth chart, and was looking no better than their #5 option.

When a guy cannot beat out the likes of Thomas and Shorts, it doesn't bode well for his career moving forward.

No, it was an easy catch which he failed to secure. He played it too soft. That is like saying it is not the RB's fault for fumbling, because someone stripped it. Plenty of receivers make that play with ease every week.

Yep Flacco put the ball right there. Lee just has to make that catch. I felt bad for him after the play. I bet if he makes that catch he is still with the Ravens.

Lee Evans is done and over the hill, yet inconsistent players who have done ZERO in the NFL such as Jones, Easley, Roosevelt, and Hagan have NFL rosters?? Thats a joke. I would take Lee Evans as our number two still to this day without a question. Say what you want about the guy, but he is the only talent we have had at wideout since Eric Moulds (and of course Stevie still on the team). Lets please not make the Bills front office heros for trading away Lee Evans for Ron Brooks. Especially when we spent two high picks on CBs before selecting Brooks in the last two drafts. Lee always put up solid numbers with horrendous QBs, offensive lines, and no help on the other side of the field. Give the guy a break, especially when we are still crossing our fingers that MARCUS FREAKIN EASLEY CAN PLAY IN THE NFL!!!

Yet you still want him on the team? I always liked Evans but the only solid numbers he put up was when Losman would air it out and Evans would fly by the defenders.

What I am saying is that fans watching TV insist they know talent better than NFL staffs who actually work with players.

PTR

What proves your argument more than anything is the fact that Lee has been traded for a 4th, injured for the majority of a season, and cut from 2 different teams in 6 months. And this is all after one of the worst years of his career. Unfortunately for us people that see things logically, the "crushers" will never let it go. Its like the guy that has his heart broken by his girl but still drives by her house every once in a while. It's just sad now.

Lee Evans is a dead-end for this team.

We want players that have the needle pointing to Full in their tank.

Lets not look back at the past. You just heard your Ex-Girlfriend broke up, The girls you're dating aren't really working out for you right now. So you think hmm maybe I should give her ring, as you think of all the good times together. Don't do it!

Just think of the far majority of the non-sepration, "decoy" plays, remember the fact that Fitzy and Lee were never on the same page. They never had any chemistry and never consistently connected.

Roosevelt has 100 times more potential in this offense than Lee Evans (and I don't think Roosevelt will make the team.)

Don't look back. Look forward.

What proves your argument more than anything is the fact that Lee has been traded for a 4th, injured for the majority of a season, and cut from 2 different teams in 6 months. And this is all after one of the worst years of his career. Unfortunately for us people that see things logically, the "crushers" will never let it go. Its like the guy that has his heart broken by his girl but still drives by her house every once in a while. It's just sad now.

nice simile

Edited by Why So Serious?

Unfortunately for your argument statistics Are pretty much the gospel and the statistics on Lee Evans show that he's had the worst 3 years of his career unquestionably. He's also for the first time been injured and for 2 straight seasons has battled with it. Ya, unfortunately for you, the only factual way to judge a player, shows that your wrong. We can all say things like, "he Has it" or something along the lines of his chemistry with the team or a certain player or how he's better now than what we have. But the evidence shows that he's not and that's why he was traded for a 4th round pick and has since been cut from 2 teams in the league. One that needed one good WR to get over the SB hump and another team rebuilding and is void of talent. Either way, if Lee was still any good, he'd still be on one of those teams and not looking for a job anywhere.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5538/lee-evans

Edited by mrags

Lee Evans was a one-trick pony, a deep threat. Guys like him & Peerless Price excelled because of their speed. But, once they started losing their speed, it was downhill quick. It's a shame because I liked both players. I loved the year when both Price & Moulds had over 1200 receiving yards each, that was great and I've been wanting to see another WR duo do that again in Buffalo. Evans had 2 great seasons with Buffalo, one season he had over 1,200 yards receiving, and another with over 1,000. Evans has regressed since, and the Bills made the right choice by trading him. It's over with now, and it's time to move on.