Likely the first conversation Nix had with Mr. Ralph

Hplarrm

He probably said something like:

Under good circumstances the best way to build a team is draft a franchise QB and develop him yourself choosing a player you think has the skills to run the O style you want and building the team around the talented franchise QB!

However, the Bills around double digits in failing to even make the playoffs are not good circumstances.

The lead rule in the Nix regime will be we are not going to draft a QB in the first 4 or so rounds because there is no way with the fan base and intensity we have and the whiners like WGR and Sully that there is any real hope we will be able to do proper development of a franchise QB.

Even if we drafted a player of the quality of a Peyton Manning, he took his team from 3-13 when they drafted him to a meteroric improvement to 3-13 with him as a strarter. Even worse you might end up being forced to take a Ryan Leaf drafted one pick after Manning.

We almost certainly will not take a QB in the draft higher than 6th as look to catch a Tom Brady level perforner who some how falls late into the draft.

The route to take is to get an HC who has had good luck reviving the careers of vets (like a Chan Gailey) and get a bright FA who can win even with marginal talent (much like Fitzy.

Worse comes to worse we get some FAs QB who failed elsewhere and build an O based upon revival of this failed FA (much like a Thigpen or a Vince Young).

Fitzy, Young and Thigpen all struggled Thursday but simply get used to it!

Unless someone wants to seriouslu advocate that we likely would have given some specific rookie adequate time to develop it is simply a fantasy to claim that our reality should have been to draft a franchise QB.

This is not how the real world works in Bills world and Gailey is doing the best we can with what we got!

It is a gamble but worth it anyway. I liked a couple of QBs who were picked between 2nd and 6th rounds the last couple of years. Those are gambles too but with less worth. RG3 is a gamble that I wouldn't have taken but it may work out. for them. If you gamble and lose, yeah you are set back a few years, unless you get lucky with an FA or a trade. I kind of think the whole " franchise QB" thing is a bit of a misnomer anyway. If you can draft a great QB you should. I kind of think they would have went for Wilson if he was there in the 3rd but he wasn't, this year. I think they have done that a couple of times now. I am not so sure it is all this faith that they have in Fitz as much as having bigger holes to fill and equalizing it against the price. Buddy seems to know what he wants and what he is doing, he is the one whose job as the GM will ride on having a decent guy in that position. I would wager even more so than the coach selection.

Still beating your old "Aisle 8 QB" drum? Give it up. The best way to get a franchise QB is to draft one as high as possible.

I am still beating it from time to time when I keep seeing posts like one which said we would rue the day we passed on taking some very nice QB but instead to Williams at CB who disappointed in the first pre-season game.

The best way to get a franchise QB through the draft has worked twice for an SB win in the past 20 or so years. Indy took Peyton which did deliver some nice playoff appearances but exactly 1 SB win under his guidance and Pitt taking RoboQB which proved to be the winning supplement to a team which was led by a host of solid vets.

The problem for the Bills and the reason why spending a high draft pick or even crazier trading up for the right to Harrington be your bust instead of Williams be your bust is that our team has zero ability to take the time even a great QB like Peyton Manning needs to become Peyton Manning.

The at least neurotic (if not psychotic) need some have to do everything possible to get this year's Akili Smith (or a host of other failed early picks) when the truth actually is that SB winning QBs can be found through FA, trade, and even Aisle 8 (Kurt Warner's last job before becoming a franchise QB- ironically he was then picked by AZ for an SB appearance by another team smart enough to know that drafting though the best theory was not the best realistic option for them.

I am happy to agree with you that drafting your franchise QB is the BEST way to do this in theory.

However, I think you should also be able to agree that this theory does not fit the Bills reality at all, due to a variety of factors such as a press mostly interested in column inches blather and selling radio ads driven by a few loud voices such as yours which keep demanding an application of a good theory which does not fit our reality.

This... How many times does nix have to say tends to draft BPA. You can bet your arse if Darius and Von were gone Cam would be a bill.

You can bet your arse If Cam were there at 3 he would have been a Buffalo Bill, OVER Von Miller and Darius

This was stated by NGU before the draft and both Nix and Gailey had stated so after the draft. In fact they both told Ryan Fitzpatrick that if Newton was there at #3 they would have drafted him.

So this entire thread is nonsense

Look, if you take the average draft position of all the super bowl winning quarterbacks (minus Warner, undrafted), you come up with the 56th pick overall. Only one quarterback has ever been selected 56th. Brian Brohm. And we all know how well that turned out. Now, I have no idea what this means, however it should prove someone's point either way. So, you're welcome.