What I found to be most unsettling

There's nothing "unsettling" about a preseason game where your starters are in for a quarter or less. What's SETTLING is the fact that there were no injuries to speak of and that the team is still healthy. They used the game for exactly what they should have, which is evaluation of players. The next couple of preseason games will be a little more playing time for the first team. For anyone that cares to remember, the 1990's Bills teams that went to 4 straight superbowls were either 0-4 or 1-3 in preseason games and did exactly what they did last night. So take a chill pill and be patient. I'm more interested in them staying healthy and coming out and destroying the Jets in the first week that counts.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Carved up? I don't think Gilmore was even thrown at... I'm gonna look through the game again, but I believe it was McKelvin covering Garcon and/or Williams. As far as i'm aware Gilmore wasn't tested once, which may mean he had his receiver locked down.

And this was a base defense.... but yes the sky is falling.

even if he was carved up...he is a rookie at somepoint he is going to get carved up. None of us started out careers in any field without F'n sh*t up..thats how you learn

There's nothing "unsettling" about a preseason game where your starters are in for a quarter or less. What's SETTLING is the fact that there were no injuries to speak of and that the team is still healthy. They used the game for exactly what they should have, which is evaluation of players. The next couple of preseason games will be a little more playing time for the first team. For anyone that cares to remember, the 1990's Bills teams that went to 4 straight superbowls were either 0-4 or 1-3 in preseason games and did exactly what they did last night. So take a chill pill and be patient. I'm more interested in them staying healthy and coming out and destroying the Jets in the first week that counts.

People like to bring this up, but bad teams need to do well in preseason, especially when this bad team finished the season freaking 1 win and 8 losses. It is silly to bring up the preseason records of successful teams versus preseason records of unsuccessful teams.

What I noticed it was very difficult for the Redskins first team to run the ball at all. Was a little surprised we did not put more pressure on RGIII with the first team unit, but like it has been stated very Vanilla defense being played. DB's seemed to making sure everything was in front of them with nothing going over the top thus gave too much space.

Offense with all the passing I would thing we would have a better handle on our WR's but I think there are more questions than answers right now with first string, I thought Ghrahm looked pretty good but hard to tell with Thigpin throwing to him. Very boring game a let down with all the Bills Hype we have been doing.

People like to bring this up, but bad teams need to do well in preseason, especially when this bad team finished the season freaking 1 win and 8 losses. It is silly to bring up the preseason records of successful teams versus preseason records of unsuccessful teams.

2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. Then followed it up by going 0-16 when it mattered. So yeah, preseason records are completely meaningless.

Edited by biglukes

Yikes... It's only the first preseason game. I've noticed over the years that some players look good in preseason (e.g. Trent Edwards) and then terrible in the regular season. Other players look bad in preseason and then great when the games count. We all need to be very cautious about making judgments after the first preseason game.

How many games did Marv Levy win in the preseason? I think we had a losing record in 3 of the 4 preseasons that preceded us winning the AFC Championship. Kelly & Company didn't accomplish much during preseason but they produced when it counted.

I take it all with a grain of salt.

Carved up? I don't think Gilmore was even thrown at... I'm gonna look through the game again, but I believe it was McKelvin covering Garcon and/or Williams. As far as i'm aware Gilmore wasn't tested once, which may mean he had his receiver locked down.

And this was a base defense.... but yes the sky is falling.

No, I saw Gilmore beaten by Garcon early. Not the end of the world in preseason week one for a rookie, but it did happen.

What I noticed it was very difficult for the Redskins first team to run the ball at all. Was a little surprised we did not put more pressure on RGIII with the first team unit, but like it has been stated very Vanilla defense being played. DB's seemed to making sure everything was in front of them with nothing going over the top thus gave too much space.

Offense with all the passing I would thing we would have a better handle on our WR's but I think there are more questions than answers right now with first string, I thought Ghrahm looked pretty good but hard to tell with Thigpin throwing to him. Very boring game a let down with all the Bills Hype we have been doing.

According to Mario Williams - they weren't just vanilla - they were in run defense the whole time, and specifically emphasizing contain and lane discipline because they were expecting RG3 to be rolling out and bootlegging a bunch. When it didn't happen, they were often just holding up and not really penetrating too much.

It worried me when they didnt gameplan. I mean we could have used stunts or blitzes but no we just played off coverage and rushed 4.. wtf was that?

Standard preseason behavior for all teams. I do believe the Redskins "gameplanned" a little for the purpose of protecting their new wonderchild.

Carved up? They scored a TD on a WR screen. The final score was 7-6. If anything, the offense is to blame.

Agreed. You gotta score TDs in the NFL not Field Goals... And by the by, what the Hell Rian???

First, let me say I liked the mindset on offense to go in an work on some no huddle spread formations, that in my opinion is what preseason is really for.

What I found to be a little worrisome was how poorly the secondary looked. If there was one glaring sore spot above the officiating, it was how easily they were carved up by a first ever starting rookie.

What concerned you the most?

It's Hard to Win in Pre-Season... :w00t:

Yikes... It's only the first preseason game. I've noticed over the years that some players look good in preseason (e.g. Trent Edwards) and then terrible in the regular season. Other players look bad in preseason and then great when the games count. We all need to be very cautious about making judgments after the first preseason game.

How many games did Marv Levy win in the preseason? I think we had a losing record in 3 of the 4 preseasons that preceded us winning the AFC Championship. Kelly & Company didn't accomplish much during preseason but they produced when it counted.

I take it all with a grain of salt.

cause its not a game, ultimately. calling it a game and keeping records is pretty much solely so the nfl can sell full priced tickets.

I disagree. They need to do well starting week 1 of the regular season. That's all that matters.

The 2012 Super Bowl Champion NY Giants lost their first preseason game last year to the Carolina Panthers and their # pick Cam Newton by a score of 20-10. Things worked out ok for them.

They also lost to the Redskins twice, whereas we wiped our collective aholes with the skins....People who just take isolated events and try to make grand statements are just kidding themselves.

Vanilla defense. Once season starts we will show our pash rush/blitz combo and we will be top defense in league. I am very happy with last night's defesne. Offense, we will see.

Yes! Somebody finally used the word "vanilla" in reference to a preseason game. I've been waiting for this all day. :thumbsup: