Schumer To Announce Plan To Keep Bills In Buffalo

http://www.wgrz.com/...opnews|bc|large

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) will stand in front of Ralph Wilson Stadium Wednesday afternoon to announce his plan to keep the

Bills

in Buffalo for the long-term, according to sources.

It's unclear if Schumer's new plan includes proposed federal legislation or regulation.

A spokesperson for the Bills said the team was unaware Schumer had even planned the news conference.

Schumer's announcement comes as the Bills are in lease negotiations with Erie County, which owns Ralph Wilson Stadium. A source tells 2 On Your Side that Schumer has not been involved "at all" in those talks and worried what Schumer's plan might mean for negotiations.

Very interesting!

F5 all day on my phone at work tomorrow!

UPDATE:

Sen. Charles Schumer visits Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park today, one day before the first Bills pre-season game, to announce his plan to get a new lease deal in place and keep the team in Western New York. His proposal, which he'll outline in a press conference at 2:15 p.m., will include stadium improvements.

Also, Goodell will be in WNY on Wednesday as well at another event in the morning. Does he show up with Schumer at OBD in the afternoon?

Three men with ties to upstate New York and professional sports come to Chautauqua Institution Amphitheater at 10:45 a.m. to address this week's topic, "The Ethics of Cheating."

The most prominent among them is National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell.

http://www.buffalone...ticle991234.ece

Edited by uncle flap

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh that last line freaks me out a little; that Schumer's plan might negatively affect lease negotiations. And he isn't unknown for being an attention seeker (the most dangerous place in Washington is between a camera and Chuck Schumer)

But ultimately he's one of the most powerful senators, and having him actively involved in keeping the team here is huge

Eh that last line freaks me out a little; that Schumer's plan might negatively affect lease negotiations. And he isn't unknown for being an attention seeker (the most dangerous place in Washington is between a camera and Chuck Schumer)

But ultimately he's one of the most powerful senators, and having him actively involved in keeping the team here is huge

It is a little scary that the team is saying they have no knowledge of what Grandstand Chuck is up to. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Is it at all likely related to the Bills stadium lease you think? I don't know what Schumer has invested in those negotiations so I'm just throwing **** and seeing what sticks.

Seeing as how the negotiations are between the team and county (and maybe the state to some extent), I don't know what kind of official purview a US Senator could possibly have...

But, didn't one of our posters here who knows someone on the inside feel we would know something about the long term status of the Bills before the season starts? Whatever this is, it may be it.

It is a little scary that the team is saying they have no knowledge of what Grandstand Chuck is up to. We'll see soon enough I guess.

What I'm telling myself so that I can have some semblance of a workday today is that The Bills spokesman mentioned in the story is low enough that he wouldn't be party to what Schumer is talking about. I mean I love Chris Brown as much as the next guy but his position isn't exactly at Executive VP level.

Seeing as how the negotiations are between the team and county (and maybe the state to some extent), I don't know what kind of official purview a US Senator could possibly have...

Antitrust legislation

Rozelle got away with (antitrust) murder with the merger, and to avoid litigation he made the promise that no team would relocate (to get Louisiana senator support, plus he put a team in NOLA). And with the exception of LA - which is about to get a team anyway - every city that has lost a team got it back. Buffalo won't be so lucky. So Schumer could make life a living hell for the NFL if they want to futz round with Buffalo

And so he should

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

What I'm telling myself so that I can have some semblance of a workday today is that The Bills spokesman mentioned in the story is low enough that he wouldn't be party to what Schumer is talking about. I mean I love Chris Brown as much as the next guy but his position isn't exactly at Executive VP level.

Antitrust legislation

Rozelle got away with (antitrust) murder with the merger, and to avoid litigation he made the promise that no team would relocate (to get Louisiana senator support, plus he put a team in NOLA). And with the exception of LA - which is about to get a team anyway - every city that has lost a team got it back. Buffalo won't be so lucky. So Schumer could make life a living hell for the NFL if they want to futz round with Buffalo

And so he should

Excellent point. A few degrees removed from lease negotiating maybe, and I doubt the words "antitrust exemption" will come out of his mouth today, but there's his leverage on the issue.

Well, we'll know more this afternoon. I look forward to hearing what this is all about.

Excellent point. A few degrees removed from lease negotiating maybe, and I doubt the words "antitrust exemption" will come out of his mouth today, but there's his leverage on the issue.

Well, we'll know more this afternoon. I look forward to hearing what this is all about.

There is not anti-trust issue. NFL's anti-trust exemption applied to the TV contracts. The league has lost court cases arguing that it is not a monopoly, meanwhile the league gets stronger. I can't see how an attention seeking Senator is going to change the legal standing of the league or have any impact on the dealing sof its franchises. If anything, voiding anti-trust rules would make it easier for individual teams to switch cities, because the league wouldn't have the power to block the move.

Is it at all likely related to the Bills stadium lease you think? I don't know what Schumer has invested in those negotiations so I'm just throwing **** and seeing what sticks.

I believe that is probably correct. The one thing to remember about ole Chuck is he LOVES to see himself in the media.

I'm sure he will try and play the lease as "keeping the Bills in Buffalo".

But we will see.