Mars Curiosity Rover

/dev/null

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to work late last night/this morning and listened to the whole thing live. It was fantastic! I guess NASA, JPL etc. are not the dead end government agencies that a lot of people said they were. NASA could have looked very bad if this had failed. They showed the world "live" exactly what the USA is capable of. They really kicked ass on this one!

So now I can say I was actually at work during both this unmanned Mars landing and also during the first Apollo Moon Landing in '69.

please...it took then 8 months to send an suv and try and hit a target 13.000miles in circumphrence....hell jp losman had better accuracy than that.... :devil:

Had to work late last night/this morning and listened to the whole thing live. It was fantastic! I guess NASA, JPL etc. are not the dead end government agencies that a lot of people said they were. NASA could have looked very bad if this had failed. They showed the world "live" exactly what the USA is capable of. They really kicked ass on this one!

So now I can say I was actually at work during both this unmanned Mars landing and also during the first Apollo Moon Landing in '69.

I live within walking distance of JPL. I thought I heard some whooping at touchdown confirmation. A friend of mine was working in the control room. I saw him on the live feed; he was waving a paper cut-out puppet like a maniac after touchdown. Gonna have to ask him wtf was up with that.

I would love to know about that cut-out if you learn anything. I'm hoping it was just one of the engineers who wasn't able to be there because he was sick, etc. Otherwise, the entire event was a blast to watch on the NASA channel as well as follow on Twitter. We were cracking up when Curiosity tweeted something like "I think right about now a bunch of people are eating peanuts..."

We must have kept watching everyone for 20 minutes after the touch down. Few people in this world will ever know what it's like to accomplish something of this magnitude, but we all got a front-row seat to pure unadulterated joy from success.

I think you could really get a feel for just how much this meant to everyone there and how much they had on their shoulders. To see it all culminate with a successful entry and touchdown was really something. I can't even fathom what they must have been feeling inside...and I love how they were celebrating it in terms of all the American people and also the other handful of countries that were involved. They presented it as something we can all share it together, and that was very cool. I'm really amazed at the technology of this thing, too...supposedly it's like putting a small lab on Mars.

Serious question for anyone who knows: What happens if the thing tips over?

Amazing to watch Olympic athletes set records AND the Curiosity Rover land successfully all in one day.

Im convinced that the cure for all sickness, pain, suffering, famine, fighting, and war is simple... Science and Sport.

Those are the paths to true progress for mankind.

Amazing to watch Olympic athletes set records AND the Curiosity Rover land successfully all in one day.

Im convinced that the cure for all sickness, pain, suffering, famine, fighting, and war is simple... Science and Sport.

Those are the paths to true progress for mankind.

TRUE STORY!

Have yall seen the Mohawk Guy?

The hairdo, its empiric awesomeness aside, was also a visual symbol of the humanity at the core of NASA's achievements. We may associate the agency with rockets and robots and missions to places that are distinctly inhuman; Ferdowsi's mohawk, though, served as a reminder of the individual people -- the quirky people -- who make all that progress possible. So, as the Internet waited for news of the Curiosity rover's fate, it cast its collective gaze on Ferdowsi -- not just as the bearer of an excellent hairstyle, but as a proxy for every person who made the rover's tension-filled landing, ultimately, a success.

I'm really amazed at the technology of this thing, too...supposedly it's like putting a small lab on Mars.

It's not "like" putting a small lab on Mars. It IS putting a small lab on Mars, only this time it's one of the most advanced labs they've ever sent. Curiosity is literally drilling into the ground, pulling out samples, depositing them into itself, analyzing the samples and transmitting reports back to JPL.

Below is just an animated flick, but get to the 8-minute mark to check out the arm extending, drilling, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZYnIsLNz3c&feature=related

It's not "like" putting a small lab on Mars. It IS putting a small lab on Mars, only this time it's one of the most advanced labs they've ever sent. Curiosity is literally drilling into the ground, pulling out samples, depositing them into itself, analyzing the samples and transmitting reports back to JPL.

Below is just an animated flick, but get to the 8-minute mark to check out the arm extending, drilling, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=FZYnIsLNz3c&feature=related

So many things could go wrong, it would be amazing if this could work for a few weeks, let alone a few months.

I'm starting to think the Apollo missions to the moon were faked. They had vastly inferior computers and technology and we got a live video feed. 50 years later with vastly superior technology and satellites and the engineers are happy with thumbnails. Something is fishy about the lunar landings.

I'm starting to think the Apollo missions to the moon were faked. They had vastly inferior computers and technology and we got a live video feed. 50 years later with vastly superior technology and satellites and the engineers are happy with thumbnails. Something is fishy about the lunar landings.

Of course they were faked. The moon isn't even real. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

So many things could go wrong, it would be amazing if this could work for a few weeks, let alone a few months.

It's powered by Plutonium instead of solar panels. It's plan to work for years.

It's powered by Plutonium instead of solar panels. It's plan to work for years.

Opportunity is still operational and drivable after more than 8 years of operation. Which means we currently have 2 RC vehicles driving around a planet >150,000,000 miles away....

Opportunity is still operational and drivable after more than 8 years of operation. Which means we currently have 2 RC vehicles driving around a planet >150,000,000 miles away....

It's incredible that Opportunity was only designed to last one Martian summer and has made it this long. NASA has done some pretty amazing things recently.

Edited by Marcellosaurus