Mars Curiosity Rover

/dev/null

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's incredible that Opportunity was only designed to last one Martian summer and has made it this long. NASA has done some pretty amazing things recently.

When you're launching **** into space, you tend to overengineer the hell out of it.

When you're launching **** into space, you tend to overengineer the hell out of it.

Yup. Every system that can have a back-up, has a back-up.

Remember when NASA lost a Mars probe because the vendor (Lockheed-Martin) did their work in English units rather than the standard metric? My geek friends and I had an email exchange that basically asked. "Who uses English other than the marketing department?" The first two weeks of my Dynamics course almost made me think about switching to business. Then we switched to metric and it became almost simple.

I keep checking the Olympic medal count to see if the US can catch China once the subjective scoring events are over. I wish there was an event for putting a mobile lab the size of a Ford Festiva on the surface of Mars. We'd have swept.

I guess a 2.5 bil space mission is worth its price. Most exciting mission since Apollo. My question to a rocket scientist would be. Why couldn't one of those tethers on the space craft that dropped the rover moved over a few miles after the drop, scopped some martian rocks and brought them back to a safe parachute landing in a ocean back here on Earth. You would think they could have pulled that off for maybe another billion.

I guess a 2.5 bil space mission is worth its price. Most exciting mission since Apollo. My question to a rocket scientist would be. Why couldn't one of those tethers on the space craft that dropped the rover moved over a few miles after the drop, scopped some martian rocks and brought them back to a safe parachute landing in a ocean back here on Earth. You would think they could have pulled that off for maybe another billion.

My first guess is that a 300,000,000 mile round-trip mission is a tad more complicated than a 150,000,000 mile one-way trip. That's just for starters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately yes. Nasa is afraid the microbes will contaminate the Martian soil in the presence of water. Ray Bradbury is smirking somewhere.

Unfortunately yes. Nasa is afraid the microbes will contaminate the Martian soil in the presence of water. Ray Bradbury is smirking somewhere.