where has Dorin Dickenson gone?

Since I am stuck out here in ol Colorado, I rely on the reporting of BB.com and fans takes on training camp for updates. Early on Dorin Dickerson was mentioned often by both, but lately I havn't heard his name once. Is he dinged up? It seems has C Mac taken a greater role in the passing game in the early stages of T Camp. Can someone give an update on the promising H Back who seems to have disappeared.

Found this on the interwebs. Sounds like Dickerson is having a bumpy camp so far...

McIntyre's challenges are not limited to his new role, as the team brought in a sleeper roster candidate to compete in the expanded fullback role: 2010 seventh-round pick Dorin Dickerson.

When the Bills worked out Dickerson in May, they told him they were looking for an H-Back, which in Gailey's offense essentially boils down to a player that can switch between lead blocker and "move" tight end at the drop of a hat. Philosophically, that type of athlete could make Buffalo's offense much more difficult to game plan for, as an H-Back could help Gailey disguise formations with fewer personnel packages.

For months, we've talked up Dickerson as a legitimate candidate to make the team based purely on how he fits athletically into that philosophy. A big man (6'2", 226 pounds) with wheels (he ran a 4.40-second 40-yard dash at the 2010 NFL Combine), teams have struggled to find a true position for Dickerson, pigeon-holing him into specific roles and watching him fail along the way. In Buffalo, his role would be that of a utility infielder, doing many different things under the "H-Back" umbrella.

Dickerson, however, has been up-and-down through the early portions of training camp. He ran a lot with the first-team offense in spring workouts, but has reportedly shown inconsistent hands on the practice field over the past week or so. If he can't improve on his early-camp struggles, it'll leave the door open for McIntyre to keep his roster spot and expand his role.

Another key to the McIntyre/Dickerson battle, beyond how each performs in the expanded offensive role awaiting the victor, is how each plays on special teams. Where Dickerson has much better athletic upside as an offensive weapon, McIntyre equalizes the competition with his special teams ability, at least on paper. McIntyre really is one of the best coverage players on the team, if not the very best, and that ability has allowed him to stick around in the NFL for going on eight years now despite his limited success offensively. Dickerson may need to prove himself better than adequate on special teams for his upside to be relevant in the battle again.

Link

i still think they go with the greater talent in dickerson... jmo

like i said, lee smith can smash people

While i might agree, reading another post in the thread about last nights practice was telling. Corey got a few pass opportunities and did well with them. If he keeps that up in practice and in preseason games, i think Dickenson is gone. Numbers at combines and height and weight are great. If you can not do it with pads on, it is nothing.

i also wonder which 9th lineman we keep?

jasper

asper

young

sanders???

Asper only makes this team via practice squad. He's not ready to play C in the NFL and Urbik is the backup to Wood.

Sanders is a draft choice with upside. He's not going anywhere in '12.

I pull for Jasper but he has to show something in games.

While i might agree, reading another post in the thread about last nights practice was telling. Corey got a few pass opportunities and did well with them. If he keeps that up in practice and in preseason games, i think Dickenson is gone. Numbers at combines and height and weight are great. If you can not do it with pads on, it is nothing.

I agree. Sounds like they're giving Corey a shot at proving he can do more than special teams and a few rare blocking plays. If he can be a legitimate receiving threat, he can be much more useful.

I am of the opinion that we will find a way to keep Chandler Smith, Mac and Dickerson. put Caussin and Fendi on practice squad and Brock goes away. Or Caussin does.

Where have you gone, Dorin Dickerson? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Oo oo oo.

What's that ya say, Mr. Buddy Nix? 'Dozer Dorin's left and gone away. Hey hey hey. Hey hey hey.

dude you look really drunk in that picture. Because you are wearing hunting glasses and a vest. the singing confirms it :worthy:

Edited by 3rdand12

Realistically, he's on his 4(?) team going into his 3rd year. A former 7th rounder, thats never logged a stat....

The odds are about even money between never makes the squad and making the team but finishing with 5 or fewer catches. Anything beyond that would be a great deal of luck for both him and us.

We can dream, but we should be realistic too.

Now as a fan - here's some crossed fingers!

Galliford's piece was pretty good.

I would add that players are usually pretty loyal to the incumbent vets… especially if that vet is fighting for his career, is the leader of special teams kick coverage, and has played out of his skull so far.

Yeah that TD catch CMac caught was a busted coverage but he had to extend to make the catch and then showed excellent speed down the field. I'm sure all of his teammates are cheering for him to win that spot.

Players can sometimes be supportive of younger players, if those younger players are very talented and can help the team win games. If they're unproven players struggling to find themselves, you can be sure the veterans are pulling for their fellow vet… and you can bet that the coaching staff is fully aware of that.

Asper only makes this team via practice squad. He's not ready to play C in the NFL and Urbik is the backup to Wood.

Sanders is a draft choice with upside. He's not going anywhere in '12.

I pull for Jasper but he has to show something in games.

This sounds right

John Clayton on the Bills http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...training-camps

And here are three observations from the Bills' training camp:

1. The Super Mario effect in Buffalo: Not only did the Bills recruit the best free-agent pass-rusher in Williams, they also signed defensive end Mark Anderson, whom they rated as the second-best available. Many thought it would take two years for the Bills to add a pass rush. Arguably, the Bills have one of the best defensive lines in football. By switching back to a 4-3 scheme that is run by Dave Wannstedt, the Bills allowed Kyle Williams to play at his more natural position of 3-technique defensive tackle. Marcell Dareus, last year's first-round pick, can collapse the middle of a blocking scheme. All of that appealed to Mario Williams. He said he thinks Kyle Williams and Dareus can push the pocket several yards, setting up sack opportunities for him and Anderson. Another positive for the defensive line is that backups Chris Kelsay, Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson and Shawne Merriman all have been starters and now only will be asked to be part of the rotation. In 2012, the Bills will go as far as their defensive line takes them.

2. Cornering the market on coverage: The Bills appear to have scored big by drafting cornerback Stephon Gilmore. He's a big, physical player who can challenge every throw from man coverage. In Houston last year, Mario Williams watched Wade Phillips turn a horrible defense into one of the league's best by bringing in three key players -- defensive end J.J. Watt, cornerback Johnathan Joseph and safety Danieal Manning. Gilmore, Williams and Anderson could produce comparable results in Buffalo. Wannstedt knows a good pass rush improves the effectiveness of cornerbacks. Gilmore earned a starting job in Buffalo by his second day in the offseason program. Aaron Williams, a second-round pick last year, may not be as consistent shutting down receivers as Gilmore, but he's a big corner with skills.

3. Chan Gailey's offensive system is hard to figure for defenses: No team spreads the field with four-receiver sets more than the Bills. The great part of the system is that Gailey doesn't need big-name receivers to make it work. He believes he has the smart quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick, who can get the ball quickly to receivers in the spread set. Steve Johnson is his best receiver, and the hands of 6-foot-5 David Nelson earned him the chance to be the slot receiver. What was noticeable in practice was how Gailey is still finding weapons. Dorin Dickerson, a tight end/fullback who failed in Houston, is making plays coming out of the backfield. As for Fitzpatrick, new quarterbacks coach David Lee will help maintain Fitzpatrick's mechanics through the season and prevent the second-half slump he experienced last season.

Where have you gone, Dorin Dickerson? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Oo oo oo.

What's that ya say, Mr. Buddy Nix? 'Dozer Dorin's left and gone away. Hey hey hey. Hey hey hey.

"Wait until my friend Biggus Dickus hears of this"

you could be right...

i also wonder which 9th lineman we keep?

jasper

asper

young

sanders???

i heard jasper looked really good... would hate to cut someone with that ability...

Sanders and Young appear to be struggling at this point. Asper & Jasper (sound good together)