Tonight's practice

Jay, did you noticeanyone giving outextra tickets? I want to come out to wednesday nights practice but its a long drive and I dont have tickets.

Hey Fluff... you can usually find people at the busses with extras. I had 1 extra tonight and I gave it to a ticket-taker at the gate in case somebody needed one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Standouts:

Looked Bad:

Vince Young. Eww.

Quite well attended. Great weather. Parking situation was terrible, but the good news is that they just told people to park on campus so I didn't even have to deal with a shuttle bus.

Wish I had some pictures but the camera I brought had a dead battery. I'll get some on Wednesday night.

Good to hear the TC reports. Next best thing to actually being there. Easley and TJ hold the keys to the offense's success this year so i hope one or both of them emerge as a legitimate #2.

And oh yeah, good luck for Wednesday night. Good for you :devil:

I didn't think VY did that bad. Some was pretty bad and some was pretty good. Showed a few times why he's a threat as he ran the ball and picked up big gains. The deep ball to TJ that was a TD was Vince and the ball looked good. I thought he mostly looked good throwing it was his descision making at times. Looks like he's still learning the playbook but the throws seemed like they were mostly there. That was my opinion anyway.

A few other things I noticed for anyone interested:

-Easley looked good but had a few stonehandsy plays.

-Dareus and Williams were monsters.

-Gilmore is going to be REALLY good!!!

-I never saw aNyone else at RDE with the starters except Kelsey and Anderson and Merriman were both there tonight (not happy about that).

-Merriman was invisable to me. I saw him working out with the DEs and he looked full go but never saw him in 11v11.

-I don't see why we spent money to get Anderson. I think he's good. It shows he's a beast. But in 11v11 he was with the 2nd team at LDE. Wasn't the point of picking him up so that he could start at RDE opposite Mario? Confusing.

-McGee was in there but was with the 2nd team.

-Williams and Gilmore started with the 1st groups.

-Glenn needs work. Noticably raw as he made Kelsey look like a probowler at times.

-Largest crowd I've ever seen there. Can't wait for the season at the Ralph.

Hope this info helps all the out of towners.

I have 1 extra ticket to Wed nights practice if anyone wants it let me know. First reply gets it.

I didn't think VY did that bad. Some was pretty bad and some was pretty good. Showed a few times why he's a threat as he ran the ball and picked up big gains. The deep ball to TJ that was a TD was Vince and the ball looked good. I thought he mostly looked good throwing it was his descision making at times. Looks like he's still learning the playbook but the throws seemed like they were mostly there. That was my opinion anyway.

I think this is only to be expected that it will take him time to master the playbook well enough to make decisions at practice speed, let alone game speed. Give him time.

Just tell me he wasn't staring down double-covered receivers then throwing there anyway a la Thiggy.

What's he doing about this, is the question? Is he staying after practice and hitting the jugs? I've heard Hagen is doing this.

-I never saw aNyone else at RDE with the starters except Kelsey and Anderson and Merriman were both there tonight (not happy about that).

Why aren't you happy about that? Who do you think should be getting the reps at RDE?

-Merriman was invisable to me. I saw him working out with the DEs and he looked full go but never saw him in 11v11.

-I don't see why we spent money to get Anderson. I think he's good. It shows he's a beast. But in 11v11 he was with the 2nd team at LDE. Wasn't the point of picking him up so that he could start at RDE opposite Mario? Confusing.

Per Gailey, 1) Merriman was limited in practice tonight, position drills only, to ensure he doesn't strain his Achilles somehow by favoring his rolled ankle 2) again per Gailey Anderson and Kelsay are rotating with the #1s.

I have 1 extra ticket to Wed nights practice if anyone wants it let me know. First reply gets it.

Fluffhead, meet mrags. Mrags, Fluffhead.

-Glenn needs work. Noticably raw as he made Kelsey look like a probowler at times.

Not looking for a ticket, but glad to see the fanhood so stoked. Btw, I think there would be something REALLY wrong if VY looked better that Fitz in a night practice. Not surprised at all about Merriman. As far as I'm concerned, he's the biggest pretender on the team. -Washed up. Guy is just out there to get a check. Wouldn't miss McGee if he got cut either. LOVE the thought of everyone playing so fast. Would reeeeally like some payback for our divisional record last season. Like Bart Scott said, CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Nice. I do hope they use McIntyre, I like him and he's tough to bring down. Maybe they could use him for a few 3rd and shorts.

I just watched the video on BB.com from yesterdays practice and Fitz impressed with the 4 throws I saw. All had zip and hit the receivers in stride. Glad he could carry it over from yesterday.

Was there any sighting of Brad Smith working with the 3rd string unit at QB? I'm wondering how he's doing at working with only QBs. Wonder if they might put him at WR for a practice or two, too.

He's so fast you can't even ID the guy... like a streak he is... some call him 'the flash'...

somebody stop me.

He is a less accurate less smart, weaker armed version of fitz, who apparently struggles reading defenses according to some scouting reports I've found.

+1 i have read some tweets from BB.com and there was one tweet either yesterday or the day before that said, that Thigpen had thrown two straight picks right at defenders.

I think this is only to be expected that it will take him time to master the playbook well enough to make decisions at practice speed, let alone game speed. Give him time.

Just tell me he wasn't staring down double-covered receivers then throwing there anyway a la Thiggy.

What's he doing about this, is the question? Is he staying after practice and hitting the jugs? I've heard Hagen is doing this.

Why aren't you happy about that? Who do you think should be getting the reps at RDE?

Per Gailey, 1) Merriman was limited in practice tonight, position drills only, to ensure he doesn't strain his Achilles somehow by favoring his rolled ankle 2) again per Gailey Anderson and Kelsay are rotating with the #1s.

Fluffhead, meet mrags. Mrags, Fluffhead.

Young didn't seem to be making mistakes that way. He threw an int or 2 but he seemed to be attempting to thread the ball in there. Either the balls were just a little off or the defender made the right play on the ball. I think with more experience with the playbook he will be fine.

As far as Thiggy, I think he's gone. Young will win the job.

To a reply for someone else regarding Smith, he looked horrendous at QB. He didn't get many reps at QB but when he did he was horrible.

Easley was good at times and bad and I noticed a few WRs after practice working out catching balls. I'm not sure who it was as they all had thier jerseys off at the time. He may have been there or not. Ur guess is as good a mine.

Chan can say whatever he wants about Anderson and Kelsey splitting time but I know what i saw. Kelsey A LOT!!!! I barely saw Anderson at all and when I did he was playing with the 2's at LDE not RDE. Kelsey is starting opposite Mario, and no I don't like it. I'll give Chan the whole Merriman was limited thing but there is no reason why Anderson wasn't in with the 1s. I guess that answers my question as to who I think should be working with the 1s.

Edited by mrags

Here are some Youtube videos of Sunday nights practice.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?421588-Training-Camp-7-29-2012-Youtube-Video&p=6165108#post6165108

Note: I thought VY played O.K. and looked fairly composed and in control for the most part.

I agree on Young, I liked the way he looked especially considering how little time he's had in Coach Gaileys Offense.

Youngs athleticism stands out...

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?421588-Training-Camp-7-29-2012-Youtube-Video&p=6165108#post6165108

Note: I thought VY played O.K. and looked fairly composed and in control for the most part.

I agree on Young, I liked the way he looked especially considering how little time he's had in Coach Gaileys Offense.

His athleticism defenately stands out. It's the reason why he will win the backup job. The rest of his play could be on par or a little worse than Thiggy and he'd still win because he can make some serious plays with his legs.

Fitz has looked better than I've ever seen him. There's no worry about Young looking better but I'm much more comfortable with Young at backup than Thiggy. If Fitz goes down and Thigpen is in were done, but if Young comes in we could be very good still.

I will say that the 7 on 7 work early in practice was down at our end and VY started very badly. My view of the later team drills was limited and he may have improved during those - it was hard to see who was at QB. He did have one scramble (designed?) that went a long way.

I will say that the 7 on 7 work early in practice was down at our end and VY started very badly. My view of the later team drills was limited and he may have improved during those - it was hard to see who was at QB. He did have one scramble (designed?) that went a long way.

I hear you man, there's a lot going on and its next to impossible to see everything.

Twitter chatter said two called runs for big gains , but video only caught one.

VY fan myself, Thigpen, not so much, so I focus in on Young and Thigpen/QB battle.

Thigpen has also made some good throws.

VY just looks natural at the QB position and appears to already be flourishing under Gailey/QB coach Lee's guidance.

Gailey can turn Young into a very dangerous weapon in my opinion.

Edited by Fig Newton

Just wanted to add a few extra observations from last night's practice. Overall - Jay hit on the highlights -- but for those that haven't seen this Bills team in person yet, here's a couple things to take away:

1. Stephon Gilmore already looks like one of the best players on the team. He is competing with the starters and is primarily on Stevie Johnson. The kid is always in the faces of the WR's. He is quick and physical. Going off what I saw at camp -- it looks like he might get more pass break-ups than picks -- because he is locked onto his man. If there is such a thing as lock-down corner -- this kid is it!

2. Mark Anderson is very, very quick. He has one of the fastest moves off the line and seems to really know how to get in the backfield. I saw someone questioned why he is behind Kelsay. I have to agree -- but on the other hand -- I'm not sure it is possible to keep up that high of a motor on every snap -- maybe they have Kelsay as the prodder to lull the tackles asleep and then will bring in Anderson to collect a bunch of sacks.

3. As already mentioned - Fitz looks like he is throwing harder. I used to question this guy's arm strength (and he still might not have a cannon) but he is sure getting his passes to the receivers in a hurry. I like the look of Fitz.

4. Mario is as big as advertised. Guy looks very intimidating.

5. Dareus is going to have a monster year!

6. Starting O-Line was: Glenn (LT), Levitre (LG), Urbik ©, Rhinehart(RG), Sam Young (RT). Until they add Wood and Pears to that group -- I would expect to see some inconsistencies from the offense. Our defense appears to be that good.

7. Young is so-so. Looked better running than passing. I hope Lee is able to work with him -- but given the way Fitz looks -- I wouldn't want to see Young in the game.

8.Tank Carder impressed me in the individual drills. Not sure if he can beat out some others -- but he had a couple nice pass break-ups in the drills.

Oh - and because I'm an FSU fan -- I was really interested in the punting situation: Moorman clearly looked like the better of the two last night and is much more consistent over Shawn Powell. I don't think he get's beat out. Potter made his FG's -- but Lindell looked sharper. I really want to see Potter's leg on kickoffs.

Just wanted to add a few extra observations from last night's practice. Overall - Jay hit on the highlights -- but for those that haven't seen this Bills team in person yet, here's a couple things to take away:

1. Stephon Gilmore already looks like one of the best players on the team. He is competing with the starters and is primarily on Stevie Johnson. The kid is always in the faces of the WR's. He is quick and physical. Going off what I saw at camp -- it looks like he might get more pass break-ups than picks -- because he is locked onto his man. If there is such a thing as lock-down corner -- this kid is it!

2. Mark Anderson is very, very quick. He has one of the fastest moves off the line and seems to really know how to get in the backfield. I saw someone questioned why he is behind Kelsay. I have to agree -- but on the other hand -- I'm not sure it is possible to keep up that high of a motor on every snap -- maybe they have Kelsay as the prodder to lull the tackles asleep and then will bring in Anderson to collect a bunch of sacks.

3. As already mentioned - Fitz looks like he is throwing harder. I used to question this guy's arm strength (and he still might not have a cannon) but he is sure getting his passes to the receivers in a hurry. I like the look of Fitz.

4. Mario is as big as advertised. Guy looks very intimidating.

5. Dareus is going to have a monster year!

6. Starting O-Line was: Glenn (LT), Levitre (LG), Urbik ©, Rhinehart(RG), Sam Young (RT). Until they add Wood and Pears to that group -- I would expect to see some inconsistencies from the offense. Our defense appears to be that good.

7. Young is so-so. Looked better running than passing. I hope Lee is able to work with him -- but given the way Fitz looks -- I wouldn't want to see Young in the game.

8.Tank Carder impressed me in the individual drills. Not sure if he can beat out some others -- but he had a couple nice pass break-ups in the drills.

Oh - and because I'm an FSU fan -- I was really interested in the punting situation: Moorman clearly looked like the better of the two last night and is much more consistent over Shawn Powell. I don't think he get's beat out. Potter made his FG's -- but Lindell looked sharper. I really want to see Potter's leg on kickoffs.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I am seriously addicted to this stuff.

I like the idea of Kelsay and Anderson rotating at RE. Imagine the preparation every LT is going to have to make each time they go up against us -- those two have such different styles the changeup from snap to snap could really cause issues.

...Potter made his FG's -- but Lindell looked sharper. I really want to see Potter's leg on kickoffs.

I think I am getting an imagination but I see us using Potter early in the season, specifically. If things get rough with injuries and we need depth, I could imagine us waiving him and letting the older more rested Lindell come in on kickoffs.