Sweetest words I've heard out of Training Camp

I agree, Curtis Modkins has been a real no-show for this team. It's as if he isn't even calling the game.

Haw.

I do think it's a problem that our HC and de-facto OC are one and the same.

Who does Chan have who has the status and moxie to second-guess him, to look over his shoulder and say "boy, your play calling there was out of whack"?

I'm afraid the answer is "no one"

I'm excited for our new defense as well, but isn't this the same thing we see this time every year, that it takes awhile for the offense to get down their timing and "catch up" to the D? I was actually surprised the initial reports had the offense doing so well. I suspect this was them letting up because they weren't in full pads.

I thought the defense dominated the practice.

Gailey is obviously more astute than I am but I can't tell if anyone dominated from only half speed drills.

Merriman showed up at the kids autograph tent the entire time according to my kids so the ankle can't be too bad.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Meaning: We have a dominating D but an average O. Just as I expected. :thumbdown:

Dominating D plus an average offense has been a regular Super Bowl winning formula - not sure how that would be a bad thing. So I say :thumbsup: not :thumbdown:, dude.

And our offense is probably a bit better than average. Even with the injuries they were slightly better than average last year (14th).

There will always be the narrow-minded nincompoops who don't have the slightest clue that the defense is always ahead of offense at this point (and usually has the edge for a good portion of camp & preseason) . They will naturally draw the conclusion that "We are DOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!" when they read Chan's acidly candid assessment of the offense vs. the defense after just the first 48-hours of camp.

I OTOH find it extremely encouraging to know that, by having our offense practicing daily against a defense better than any we'll see in the rest of the entire NFL this season, this Buffalo Bills team will be a dominant force on both sides of the football when the season begins...

GO BILLSSS!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!! :beer:

Funny stuff know-it-alls!

I've been going to camps and games for 30 years, played when I was young, coaching now.

I've see the defenses be "ahead" of offenses too. This was different. This starting D-line is going to be a dominant one. I can evaluate and compare to 30 years of seeing this stuff thanks.

You should be excited about it really... The O-line will improve, especially when Wood and Pears start playing.

Like I said there was literally no pocket yesterday on pass plays. It was good to see.

There will always be the narrow-minded nincompoops who don't have the slightest clue that the defense is always ahead of offense at this point (and usually has the edge for a good portion of camp & preseason) . They will naturally draw the conclusion that "We are DOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!" when they read Chan's acidly candid assessment of the offense vs. the defense after just the first 48-hours of camp.

I OTOH find it extremely encouraging to know that, by having our offense practicing daily against a defense better than any we'll see in the rest of the entire NFL this season, this Buffalo Bills team will be a dominant force on both sides of the football when the season begins...

Not to mention that they don't game plan against our D in practice. Something they will be doing against their competition in the regular season.

Edited by MikeSpeed

Weeeallll, I didn't know I was a narrow-minded nincompoop - however as far as "always", this is NO WAY what I remember from the first days of training camp last year, or in 2010.

Offense was cooking along, Defense was getting schooled as I recall.

At the time I thought maybe it meant our offense was pretty good. It turned out to mean our defense was really bad.

If you remember it differently, I would be glad to be corrected....I don't think it means we are DOOOOOOOOMED though, just that we really need Wood and Pears back and our OL as a whole needs to take it up a notch.

Point being I disagree that the D is always ahead of the O at this point - and league wide, with the shortened offseason and TC last year it seemed that offenses all over the league were rolling up defenses in the first few games, riddle me that...

I think that was Chan's point and I agree.

Gailey is obviously more astute than I am but I can't tell if anyone dominated from only half speed drills.

Merriman showed up at the kids autograph tent the entire time according to my kids so the ankle can't be too bad.

If there is one thing that Gailey knows it is offense and based on what we keep hearing from the players the complexity of this offense takes time to understand with last year's off season limitations having their impact. I think we are going to see a very creative offensive team every time we get the ball, which should be often because of our dominating D.

Plus, doesn't that say something about another one of our star's (ok, he has not been a star for us but he is a "name player" and all too frequently they do not hang out with fans.) character that Merriman would spend the entire time in the autograph tent! :thumbsup:

Edited by shoretalk

Dominating D plus an average offense has been a regular Super Bowl winning formula - not sure how that would be a bad thing. So I say :thumbsup: not :thumbdown:, dude.

And our offense is probably a bit better than average. Even with the injuries they were slightly better than average last year (14th).

We have a below average QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick! Thus: :thumbdown:

Weeeallll, I didn't know I was a narrow-minded nincompoop - however as far as "always", this is NO WAY what I remember from the first days of training camp last year, or in 2010.

Offense was cooking along, Defense was getting schooled as I recall.

At the time I thought maybe it meant our offense was pretty good. It turned out to mean our defense was really bad.

If you remember it differently, I would be glad to be corrected....I don't think it means we are DOOOOOOOOMED though, just that we really need Wood and Pears back and our OL as a whole needs to take it up a notch.

Point being I disagree that the D is always ahead of the O at this point - and league wide, with the shortened offseason and TC last year it seemed that offenses all over the league were rolling up defenses in the first few games, riddle me that...

Sorry Hopeful - I certainly wasn't referring to you when I hastily coined that phrase. I was referring more to those who used your obviously correct OP for their own negative (as usual) purposes; namely, to pile criticism on the Bills offensive strategy, talent level and coaching staff simply because - after a mere 48 hours - they were finding the newly revamped Bills D a difficult challenge.

(I would never consider you one of the narrow-minded nincompoops, house-painters, mother-of-pearl-men, Herring Cove vacationers, et al that comprise my ever-growing ignore list B-) )

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer: