Fitz comes out throwing as Bills open camp

bowery4

I am pretty psyched about this year, so glad football is back! Fitz is a big key no doubt, to the year. My favorite thing from this article is a thing that some people on here just don't seem to get.

Fitzpatrick actually had a quality 20-game stretch as the Bills' starter, counting those seven games and the 13 he started in 2010. Over that stretch, he had 37 TD passes and 22 interceptions, and threw for 237 yards a game.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article967787.ece?twobillsdrive

That's not a bad stretch, imo. I think it was obvious something wasn't right in the second half of the season last year. He may not be a HOF QB, but he's the best we have and is a good character guy to lead this team. :thumbsup:

I am pretty psyched about this year, so glad football is back! Fitz is a big key no doubt, to the year. My favorite thing from this article is a thing that some people on here just don't seem to get.

http://www.buffalone...e?twobillsdrive

I understand your point and I think it's obvious from my posts that I like Fitz and am pulling for him to succeed as a player in addition to as a Bill.

The fact remains that you can cherry-pick stats to make almost anyone look good. Until he puts a whole season together without any need to pick cherries, he has a "?" by his name when the question "can he take a team to a winning season?" is asked.

That said, it's clear the Bills coaches have confidence in him, he has confidence in himself while being aware of areas where he needs to improve, and he has a plan in place to hit those areas.

Outside of magically picking up Brees, Rodgers, Romo, Brady, Stafford, or Roethlisberger I think we're in good hands.

First the QB rating is not the end all, but it is a descent measuring stick, all stats can be twisted even wins and losses Pittsburgh put up games of 0-3-14-13-17-10-7-17 that's half their games 17 or below still won four. If your giving credit to the QB your kidding yourself.

Drew Brees had QB ratings of 76.9, 67.5, 104.8, 89.2 in his full seasons in San Diego before the Saints took a flyer on him off an injury. After his first two years starting the Chargers were 12-20 with Tomilson running wild. Everyone has to start somewhere although his path to a starting QB job isn't text book his first two years as a starter Fitzpatrick's ratings were 81.8 79.1 with a record of 10-22. I'm not comparing a two year starter to a 10 year starter but what I am saying is everyone has to start somewhere. You can only play one year at a time and with weapons on offense and a defense that won't have him down 21-0 or 28-0 in the first quarter I think Fitz will have a huge year. For some if he does then it's the players around him or the defense is awesome - always ready to blame never ready to credit.

That's not a bad stretch, imo. I think it was obvious something wasn't right in the second half of the season last year. He may not be a HOF QB, but he's the best we have and is a good character guy to lead this team. :thumbsup:

Exactly, how could one of the best quarterback, at the time, just stink that quickly. He was awesome in the beginning of the year, but after the Redskins game he didn't play the same. So I think obviously something had to happen to him, for him to play the way he did in the second half of the season.

Exactly, how could one of the best quarterback, at the time, just stink that quickly. He was awesome in the beginning of the year, but after the Redskins game he didn't play the same. So I think obviously something had to happen to him, for him to play the way he did in the second half of the season.

I thought they said he had a broken rib or something after that game?

What happened in any of the prior years doesn't matter. All that matters is what's in front of you. You can't change the past. If Fitz plays solid this year and doesn't lose half of his offense to injury there's no reason the Bills won't make a run at the playoffs.

Can we please just calm down with the statistical over analysis.

Fitz is the man. We rise or fall with him.

Yep. There were some interesting points in that article, like the stats from Fitz's 20 games immediately prior to the "alleged" rib injury. 37/22 TD/INT and 237 yards per game. That's actually evidence of some consistency. If Lee really can tighten up some of the mechanics, and they stay healthy...who knows?

Im actually not worried about Fitz at all......

The QB position needs a backup guy that can drop the clipboard and win you 3 games in a season if your QB goes down......

I have my fingers crossed that Vince Young picks up the offense quickly

Fitz does exactly what you ask, he dropped the clipboard and won 4 in 2010, and won 6 in 2011, pretty much what you get from a backup.

Edited by paintmyhouse

If every individual player has good stats (Like Fitz in this thread), but the overall record of the team as a whole is dismal...then what ?

Who knows? We haven't had that problem that's for sure. Our D has been bottom of the barrel over that timeframe. So bad that IMO it has had a profoundly negative effect on the offense. Statistically we STILL managed a middle of the road offense.

So with a defense that actually gives back to the offense instead of taking away from it??? Hope Springs eternal, but there are a lot of reasons for optimism.

Fitz does exactly what you ask, he dropped the clipboard and won 4 in 2010, and won 6 in 2011, pretty much what you get from a backup.

Yes, he's a backup...that ouptlays franchise starters like Sam Bradford.

PTR

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article967787.ece?twobillsdrive

stats are overrated, we need wins and consistency.

i love having fitz as our quarterback. seems he is capable of making some very good (and bad) plays on the field. the coaches and his teammates believe in him and he is a great guy. and with the additions to the o line and the return of freddy, re-signing of stevie, and the emergance of cj and chandler (and hopefully a couple more this year, he doesn't have to do it all on his own. football is a team sport but i am very confident of him being the leader of this team.