David Nelson speaks about team divisiveness in 2010

I liked Lee as one of our receivers. He was one of the few reasonably bright spots on a long sad decade of Bills teams.

When we traded him, he was getting close to the end of his career, but likely still had the potential for 1-2 good seasons. MANY people here reasonably questioned why we would make that trade. It sure looked to make us worse in the short run. If you believe (as I do) that Nelson was talking about Lee as one of the position leaders who didn't buy what Gailey was selling, then the answer is clear as to why we traded him.

It doesn't make him a bad person, a bad teammate or a bad player, just the _wrong_ player for this new team being constructed by Nix/Gailey.

To me, this clears up all doubts as to why the trade went down. You want everyone in the boat rowing the same direction as hard as they can.

I like Lee, I miss his great home-run strikes, but it looks clear that it was time to move on.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post.

There is no doubt nelson was talking about Evans. Come on guys connect the dots. I have it on a pretty good source that Evans & Gailey did not see eye to eye on the way the offense should be runned & he should be used & that gailey could not get Evans out of here fast enough. Didn't one time during traing camp Gailey stated something to the effect that Evans needed to start running better more precise routes. That is a pretty good shot coming from a head coach to a 7-8 year veteran receiver. Evans to me was always a little overrated as a teammate. He threw Edwards under the bus a few times(not that it wasn't deserved at times) & he always seemed like he had these underlying meanings in his quotes. Good receiver that had a nice career but I think when Nix/Gailey took over they immediately earmarked Evans as expendable.

This is hilarious, trying to call a team out in the past that this current crop of players has not even got as many wins as, this team has 4 wins and then 6 wins.

Time to shut up and play football and actually win games.

This was pathetic by Nelson.

This is hilarious, trying to call a team out in the past that this current crop of players has not even got as many wins as, this team has 4 wins and then 6 wins.

Ya. This. Dick Juron agrees with you.

Serious question: are you a Bills' fan?

Serious question: are you a Bills' fan?

Huge Bills fan who is sick of the lackluster play on the field, sick of losing, sick of people giving players who play like crap the benefit of the doubt (FITZPATRICK), and just do not see this current team being that good with the coach and the QB we have. I still spend my money, just bought a bunch of new Bills gear, I have Sunday Ticket, I am plying in for the home opener against KC, I would say I am a pretty big fan of the Buffalo Bills. I watch every game a few times too.

Huge Bills fan who is sick of the lackluster play on the field, sick of losing, sick of people giving players who play like crap the benefit of the doubt (FITZPATRICK), and just do not see this current team being that good with the coach and the QB we have. I still spend my money, just bought a bunch of new Bills gear, I have Sunday Ticket, I am plying in for the home opener against KC, I would say I am a pretty big fan of the Buffalo Bills. I watch every game a few times too.

Americans speak with their wallets. By the way you spend, it appears you're a bigger fan than I. We're ALL frustrated with the team, why do you have to write all negativebitterdouchebaggy comments? Seriously.

We're ALL frustrated with the team, why do you have to write all negativebitterdouchebaggy comments? Seriously.

people do this Because they are fake. If they continue this way of thinking they can easily claim rights to knowing all along that they sucked and if they get better they can say they were a diehard fan all along. It's a joke thebway some people think. Your in or your out. Take your pick.

people do this Because they are fake. If they continue this way of thinking they can easily claim rights to knowing all along that they sucked and if they get better they can say they were a diehard fan all along. It's a joke thebway some people think. Your in or your out. Take your pick.

Wow, didn't know a person who is a fan can only have opinion. That sounds pathetic to me. I don't care enough about people on message boards to say I told you so, so you don't have to worry about that from me.

I am always all in, whether they suck or not, but I feel like it's my right to call them as I see them, and they have sucked and look like they still will not be a playoff team again this season.

Riding a magical piece of plywood?

You are probably correct. There are plenty of myths about Lee Evans tenure in the NFL, first about his ability to make players around him better or "open things up" for the offense. Our offense was awful in his tenure with the bills especially our WR production.

Secondaly I always had a hunch that it was a myth about him being a good teammate or a "team player". Just remember how divisive he was with the Losman and Edwards QB controversy. This was probably just the tip of the iceberg.

One of the best personnel moves in the Buddy Nix era was trading Evans away.

Excellent post and thread btw.

LOL

Yeah, it was amazing how he underachieved w/ Holcomb, Losman, and Edwards throwing the ball.

Heads up analysis.

I really don't get it. If I was that disgusted with the QB and HC, I don't think I'd be shelling out my hard-earned $$ to come sit in the stands and torture myself. Do you enjoy the games? Are you constantly yelling, or is more of a quiet, slow burn?

Very curious. Certainly one of the oddest examples of "fandom" I've seen.

By the by, anyone want to make a friendly wager that Evans has a bigger year in Jacksonville than Johnson does in B-Lo.

No need to reply, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I don't think that Fitzpatrick is going to make it much past the bye week without major criticism being heaped on him by media as well as fans.

Johnson's also going to be double-covered often. We can all sit here and ignore Fitzpatrick's last 10 games from last season, but until proven otherwise, that's the QB that comes out of the gates.

By the by, anyone want to make a friendly wager that Evans has a bigger year in Jacksonville than Johnson does in B-Lo.

No need to reply, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I don't think that Fitzpatrick is going to make it much past the bye week without major criticism being heaped on him by media as well as fans.

Johnson's also going to be double-covered often. We can all sit here and ignore Fitzpatrick's last 10 games from last season, but until proven otherwise, that's the QB that comes out of the gates.

That is some hilarious stuff right there. Yes, I'm up for that wager.

I really don't get it. If I was that disgusted with the QB and HC, I don't think I'd be shelling out my hard-earned $$ to come sit in the stands and torture myself. Do you enjoy the games? Are you constantly yelling, or is more of a quiet, slow burn?

Very curious. Certainly one of the oddest examples of "fandom" I've seen.

Many of us don't go to games anymore, that doesn't mean that we're not fans.

The options are sucking up mediocrity and being bad, or complaining about what isn't being done properly.

Our team has the longest playoff drought and hasn't seen them in any year beginning with the digit 2, hasn't won a playoff game since what, 1995 or something, and has only one winning season in years beginning with the digit 2 and since the Wade Phillips years.

Until that changes it should be perfectly understandable that many fans don't go to the games. It has nothing to do with support, it has to do with expending one's resources to go watch incompetence on display.

People are getting really gung ho over Mario, and apart from him not much has changed. But the Texans never made the playoffs with him on the team for the full season, and they had Schaub, Andre Johnson, and Owen Daniels in their passing game. Fitz is no Schaub, Johnson is no Andre, and we don't have a TE that is going to make any kind of difference.

There are still a lot of hurdles for this team. I mean who even knows what the starting LB rotation will be. We know that Barnett and Sheppard are shoe ins, but after that, it's anyone's guess.

A rookie starting CB? Pro Football Weekly even posted an article talking about how unlikely it would be for teams to start rookies at any one of three positions, QB, LT, and CB, to make the playoffs. We're facing rookies at two of them.

I don't know, but I would prefer to go watch games when I know that they're not OJT auditions. I miss the days of yore under Kelly, Bruce, and competence on the team that truly let us know that we were capable of beating any team in the league. Going to those games, even when we lost, was enjoyable. Going to these games, at least speking for myself and other fans that I've spoken with, is not enjoyable. It's like going somewhere where you suspect that you're going to regret going when it's all done. The fact that your wallet's a hundred bucks lighter per head all the way around afterwards doesn't help the thought that you just wasted your day or make it any easier.

That is some hilarious stuff right there. Yes, I'm up for that wager.

We'll see. Evans should be the #1 on the Jags.

And fwiw, not that I think that Johnson will have a bad year, I just think that Evans will have 1,000 plus.

I also suspect that Gabbert will have no worse a season than Fitzy will.

Many of us don't go to games anymore, that doesn't mean that we're not fans.

Until that changes it should be perfectly understandable that many fans don't go to the games. It has nothing to do with support, it has to do with expending one's resources to go watch incompetence on display.

I don't know, but I would prefer to go watch games when I know that they're not OJT auditions. I miss the days of yore under Kelly, Bruce, and competence on the team that truly let us know that we were capable of beating any team in the league. Going to those games, even when we lost, was enjoyable. Going to these games, at least speking for myself and other fans that I've spoken with, is not enjoyable. It's like going somewhere where you suspect that you're going to regret going when it's all done. The fact that your wallet's a hundred bucks lighter per head all the way around afterwards doesn't help the thought that you just wasted your day or make it any easier.

I think maybe you misinterpreted my post? I was questioning why paintmyhouse WOULD go to games when he so clearly hates everything about what the Bills have done.

I certainly understand skeptical fans staying away from the stadium.