Looks like blackout rule won't apply here

I am a diehard Bills fan and appreciate the difficult decision that Mr. Brandon had to make. I am sure it was difficult and will have a great deal of scrutiny with it. True Bills fans will completely understand the rationale, but this really should not have surprised anyone. Our boxes are a tough sell along with our club seats. We need the revenue from the tickets but probably could not afford the financial obligation to the league if we went with the 85%.

Before those of you who wish to bash this move do so, try and think outside the box a bit.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't lived in Upstate NY since 1993 and in the blackout region since I left for college in 1978, so it has no affect on me. However, my parents, in their upper 80's and still living in Rochester, can't see any blacked out games and I think that's very unfortunate. Unfortunately, I agree that for the Bills this is probably the correct decision because of the change in revenue sharing if they change the blackout policy.

However, I still have at least two concerns. First of all, the decision to extend the blackout rule to Syracuse a few years ago stinks. The farther away from Buffalo you get the more they are competing for new, young fans with the Jersey teams. I think allowing them to watch on TV will bring in new fans that may otherwise be lost for life to the Gints or Jerks.

Secondly, I think the new policy from the NFL sucks. They needed to change the blackout rule. But, making the choice up to each individual team and financially penalizing teams for changing their policy is a sham. They should have either changed the policy across the board, or, they could have made it up to individual teams but not by giving a disincentive to teams to opt in to the new policy.

Also, I really don't believe that many people, particularly from farther away like Rochester or Syracuse, decide to buy game tickets because they are afraid the game may be blacked out if they don't do so.

this is a BS. decision. At the very worst. the Bills lose 3/4 or a milliom dollars. When you make over $100 million, that is a drop in the bucket and the public would be able to rally around the team easier.

The bean counters at OBD find a way to screw the fans over. :thumbdown:

Another cheap publicity stunt by the ever-grandstanding Brian "I Never Met a TV Camera I Didn't Like" Higgins. (How can he possibly lose by demanding that more fans be allowed to see Bills games for free???)

Personally, I feel the new policy would be unfair to the good fans who ante up for tickets and make the effort to go out to the stadium every week - rain or shine, sleet or snow. (I have friends that, jokingly, thank me for paying all that money for season tix so that they can sit home and watch he games on TV in the nice warm comfort of their man caves.)

Looks like the Colts and the Chargers - both also technically "small market" teams, though much larger than Buffalo - have also opted to not to go along with the new blackout policy. There will be others, I'm sure. The NFL's smallest market - Green Bay - for instance, which sells out every single game; why would they opt to share more revenue with other teams whose fans don't seem to care much about football?

Bottom line is, Bills fans - if you really really wanna see the game...if it's that important to you...if you're that big of a Bills fan...buy a ticket!!!!

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Happy they made this decision. I want the Bills to be the team that doesn't need help lifting blackouts. And that will happen if we actually build a team that wins. I sympathize for the folks that can't go to the stadium to watch, but this is the best decision for the greater good.

Edited by BarkLessWagMore

I've always been a fan of the blackout rule. Perhaps my view as a [for all intents and purposes] life-long season ticket holder is skewed, but I've always felt that if you want to guarantee that you'll see the game, you need to buy a ticket. If you don't buy a ticket, you have no right to complain if you can't see it.

That may sound harsh, but it's just the way I've always viewed it. For those that don't share the opinion, I'd be interested to hear your take...

this is a BS. decision. At the very worst. the Bills lose 3/4 or a milliom dollars. When you make over $100 million, that is a drop in the bucket and the public would be able to rally around the team easier.

The bean counters at OBD find a way to screw the fans over. :thumbdown:

Again, you're allowed to buy a ticket (or NFL Sunday Ticket) if you want to watch.

what about 90% or 95%?

99.5% is a threshold I could live with - 90% still leaves over 7000 unsold tickets

95% is getting close to the point where either a local company or Ralph himself will buy the remaining tix and donate them to some worthy organization for the good will they'll get in return - or one of the local TV stations (WIVB or WUTV) will pony up for the remaing tix because the game would be on their station and they could sell more ads.

Look, if the Bills play as well as most people think, the entire season will be sold out well in advance. I already saw tickets posted for twice the face value for the New England game. :blink:

If you live in the blackout area and want to be guaranteed to see the Bills play, go buy a ticket. They're the lowest in the NFL. It's just that simple.

I still have my comunion money :flirt:

Bottom line is, Bills fans - if you really really wanna see the game...if it's that important to you...if you're that big of a Bills fan...buy a ticket!!!!

If it were only that easy.

If you live in the blackout area and want to be guaranteed to see the Bills play, go buy a ticket. They're the lowest in the NFL. It's just that simple.

Unfortunately, it isn't a black & white issue like you state. Some people can't buy a ticket or go to a game for various valid reasons.

The black out is BS when you think about how much of out tax dollars go into stadium maintenance and upgrades. The SMALL MARKET stuff is a bunch of crap too!!! If the Bills are a small market they should have a SMALL stadium to match. At 73,000 seats its 10,000 seats bigger than the smallest 6-7 stadiums.

I live on the east side of Rochester and for me to go to a game its an 11-12 hour deal, not to mention the additional 3 hours of driving a person in Syracuse would have. Not always a reasonable for us family guys to do. Also consider amount of who cares games that have been played in the back half of the season and the typical WEATHER that is in December.

If the Bills dont lower the blackout to 90% of capacity (which would sell out several other stadiums) it is a slap in the face to the loyal fans who have who have stuck with this team through a lot of crap years.

I choose to support the Bills through my season ticket purchase even though the blackout rule (as it pertains to the Bills) means nothing to me. So I can't sympathize with any "fan" complaining about this decision, if they don't have any skin in the game.

Call me old fashioned but our institutions (whether sports teams or government) can't survive for long when the "takers" who expect something for nothing, outnumber the "givers".

The black out is BS when you think about how much of out tax dollars go into stadium maintenance and upgrades. The SMALL MARKET stuff is a bunch of crap too!!! If the Bills are a small market they should have a SMALL stadium to match. At 73,000 seats its 10,000 seats bigger than the smallest 6-7 stadiums.

The stadium capacity has decreased by more than 10% in the last 20 years. With the upcoming renovations, I'd assume it will continue to do so. Besides, there are over 1 million people living in the greater Buffalo area, so it's not as though there isn't enough of a population to support a 70,000 seat stadium

I live on the east side of Rochester and for me to go to a game its an 11-12 hour deal, not to mention the additional 3 hours of driving a person in Syracuse would have. Not always a reasonable for us family guys to do. Also consider amount of who cares games that have been played in the back half of the season and the typical WEATHER that is in December.

No offense, but it is your choice to live where you do, just as it is your choice to cheer for the team. If you want to see them, you can choose to give up your whole Sunday to do so. Or not. Either way, it's my opinion that the team has no responsibility to show you the game, especially since you live outside the tax district that supports them. Again, no offense intended, as I would be interested in hearing why you feel otherwise.

If the Bills dont lower the blackout to 90% of capacity (which would sell out several other stadiums) it is a slap in the face to the loyal fans who have who have stuck with this team through a lot of crap years.

Strongly disagree. I feel that the notion of non-ticket-buying folks complaining about the blackout rule is a slap in the face to the Bills' fans that buy the tickets. Not to dig at your fandom, but the ticket-holders are the ones that have supported the team with their dollars, not the people that watch them from home.

I choose to support the Bills through my season ticket purchase even though the blackout rule (as it pertains to the Bills) means nothing to me. So I can't sympathize with any "fan" complaining about this decision, if they don't have any skin in the game.

Call me old fashioned but our institutions (whether sports teams or government) can't survive for long when the "takers" who expect something for nothing, outnumber the "givers".

^ This...all of this.

If it were only that easy.

Unfortunately, it isn't a black & white issue like you state. Some people can't buy a ticket or go to a game for various valid reasons.

People can't buy and/or attend lots of stuff for various valid reasons. Doesn't mean they should get it for free.