Former WR Josh Reed Slams Buffalo

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok it may not be acidic or bitter because they load it up with surgar, hence the reason it's sweet. I hate that. And my point is if they're using tomato paste they're fools. Why the hell use tomato paste? I'll tell you why so you can have a nice thick (and crappy tasting) sauce in about 30 minutes as opposed to a slow simmered sauce that has cooked for hours. The best sauce I've made is using butter, yes butter not olive oil, onions, carrots (the natural sweetness will cut the acidity instead of sugar) garlic, whole canned tomatoes (imported from Italy), fresh basil and dried oregano (never been a big fan of the fresh).

San Marzanos?

Will have to try the carrot thing. Seems weird in a tomato sauce on a pizza, but I'll try it.

Amazing that a throw-away thread about a washed-up former WR ended up making me reconsider my lifelong love of Bocce pizza. Gotta love the offseason on TBD.

I like Bocces too. Certainly it's flavor is unique to Buffalo. Just thinking about a cheese and pepp or just cheese pizza is making me salivate.

Italy???? Most Americans wouldn't even recognize what you get there as being pizza. Pizza was born in Italy, but what we get here as pizza is an American invention.

Some places in Italy has no idea how to make a good pizza as we know it... not in Naples or Rome, anyways... but in Sicily, they seem to know how to make it REALLY well!

Chicago perfected pizza, IMO.. the deep dish pizza of Geno's East and other establishments there have given us perfection in pizza... :thumbsup:

San Marzanos?

Will have to try the carrot thing. Seems weird in a tomato sauce on a pizza, but I'll try it.

Those be the ones. My tomato sauce is not used to often for pizza. I use it more for pasta. But the carrots really cut the acidity without the sugar.

Italy???? Most Americans wouldn't even recognize what you get there as being pizza. Pizza was born in Italy, but what we get here as pizza is an American invention.

That's why I love going to the North Beach area of SF. Some of the best pizza and calzones I've had. The pizzas are super thin with no yeast at all. Many Americans would say that's not pizza. Well it's how it was originally made and I'm big on orginality.

That's why I love going to the North Beach area of SF. Some of the best pizza and calzones I've had. The pizzas are super thin with no yeast at all. Many Americans would say that's not pizza. Well it's how it was originally made and I'm big on orginality.

Yep.

It's not super-widely known but San Francisco pizza (North Beach is the traditional Italian section) like Jim says, is ridiculously good.

This is the same neighborhood which houses the Bills Backers of San Francisco, The North Star, and many well-known "gentlemen's clubs."

Hope you all visit for the October 7th Bills-Niners game.

World Class pizza, dancers, and football.

The pizzas are super thin with no yeast at all. Many Americans would say that's not pizza. Well it's how it was originally made and I'm big on orginality.

Yeah that describes every pizza I've had in Italy. Never been to Sicily though.

It's not bad, just like you said, not what most Americans consider pizza to be.

Plus when you add a nice espresso after it's all good :)

All the makings for a great weekend.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Amazing that a throw-away thread about a washed-up former WR ended up making me reconsider my lifelong love of Bocce pizza. Gotta love the offseason on TBD.

I know I am keeping this thread alive but, why is it amazing? The discussion is about the most direct link between the thread title and what is being talked about: "...Slams Buffalo."

How much more closer can we get to the title than debunk what the thread is about by talking positive about BFLO?

This title was never about JR, it is about slamming BFLO.

O

Yep.

It's not super-widely known but San Francisco pizza (North Beach is the traditional Italian section) like Jim says, is ridiculously good.

This is the same neighborhood which houses the Bills Backers of San Francisco, The North Star, and many well-known "gentlemen's clubs."

Hope you all visit for the October 7th Bills-Niners game.

I was there in 2005 @ the NorthStar... Didn't OJ grow up somewhere around there?... Also, what is the connection with John "Ole" Fina and that place? I jest with the Ole part... Didn't he go to Arizona?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

http://blogs.lsureveille.com/sports/2011/03/01/qa-with-former-lsu-wide-receiver-josh-reed/

Q: What was life in the NFL like?

A: “It might be different in other cities but you know, Buffalo is in Western New York. It, really as far as the layout, the landscape and the area was kind of like the South, in New York. It’s not anything like the city. It’s real laid back in the country, but the people are horrible. As far as getting in trouble in Buffalo or socially, there’s nothing to do. You go to practice and go home. In eight years we never made the playoffs and didn’t have much success, so the fans are brutal. They sit here and say they have the best fans and have the best food. No. Coming from Louisiana where you have great weather, you can go outside 90 percent of the time. The people here are just friendly; you don’t even have to know somebody. If you say,’Hello,’ they’re going to say, ‘Hello,’ back; they may even start up a conversation. Up there, you say, ‘Hello,’ they’re like, ‘What do you mean, hello?’ It’s just like if they’re so miserable up here, then move.”

Hate to tell you this, but lots of friend that have visited me in New Mexico and Mississippi were shocked by how friendly people were in those places, in contrast to Buffalo. There are good people in Buffalo, just like anywhere else, but there is a negative, unfriendly vibe, in general.

I know I am keeping this thread alive but, why is it amazing? The discussion is about the most direct link between the thread title and what is being talked about: "...Slams Buffalo."

How much more closer can we get to the title than debunk what the thread is about by talking positive about BFLO?

This title was never about JR, it is about slamming BFLO.

O

I was there in 2005 @ the NorthStar... Didn't OJ grow up somewhere around there?... Also, what is the connection with John "Ole" Fina and that place? I jest with the Ole part... Didn't he go to Arizona?

OJ grew up in the projects on Potrero Hill. Potrero has some of the best views in SF, execpt of course on the projects side which overlooks the shipyards.

Hate to tell you this, but lots of friend that have visited me in New Mexico and Mississippi were shocked by how friendly people were in those places, in contrast to Buffalo. There are good people in Buffalo, just like anywhere else, but there is a negative, unfriendly vibe, in general.

Well the term southern hospitality came from someplace. "Come on in and set a spell."

For the polar opposite view, go see Steve Ott's reaction to being traded to Buffalo (in Buffalo News). The guy couldn't be happier,,,but then again, hockey players from Canada seem to love it here.

I'm not aware of any connection between John Fina and the Northstar… but as of yet I haven't been to the Northstar.

I know Fina is from the midwest and I believe he settled in Arizona. I don't believe he has any connection to SF but I couldn't say for sure.

. . . Didn't know WNYers didn't know the word "hello." Guys--it's a introductory greeting that us people in the South give. . .

Actually, the introductory greeting that people raised in most parts of the South commonly give is "Hey" - -so if you are from Buffalo traveling or visiting in the South and you greet a stranger by saying "Hello" you have immediately identified yourself as an outsider.

I've lived several places in the US and visited many more. While Southern hospitality is real, it is somewhat tempered when dealing with outsiders, especially in the rural/small town South. In my experience, though, small towns tend to be fairly insular everywhere.

Maybe I was just fortunate to have exceptionally nice neighbors and co-workers at the time, but the friendliest place I ever lived (as far as being made to feel welcome by people I did not really know very well) was Memphis, TN.

Just my 2 pesos.

Being from binghamton originally after joining army and getting out I settled in Louisiana and I can say that the food is great only thing I miss is clams.... and the people are great. I am a die hard bills fan, one thing that gets under my skin is when I first.moved.here u never seen saints ANYTHING until they were good now all you hear is who dat this and who dat that they can't.name anyone on the team except for breed but they are.diehard saints fans. I hate.the saints just for that reason. Louisiana isn't that bad except for the saints fans.: