Former WR Josh Reed Slams Buffalo

Well of course the pepperoni is different. It's made from dog meat.

Life is pretty good and cosmoploltan here in Thailand, much more so than in Buffalo.

The dogs here are under threat from importers to Vietnam who kidnap street dogs; Buddhists do not eat dog.

They eat grasshoppers here though, taste like crispy shrimp.

Overall, there is plenty more here than in Buffalo and the quality of life is much higher than anywhere in the USA. Sorry for that news. Please do not come to visit though, go up to the falls instead, it is nice there LOL.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life is pretty good and cosmoploltan here in Thailand, much more so than in Buffalo.

The dogs here are under threat from importers to Vietnam who kidnap street dogs; Buddhists do not eat dog.

They eat grasshoppers here though, taste like crispy shrimp.

Overall, there is plenty more here than in Buffalo and the quality of life is much higher than anywhere in the USA. Sorry for that news. Please do not come to visit though, go up to the falls instead, it is nice there LOL.

"Quality of life"... LOL

"...Whaddya mean? Ya seen one crowded, polluted, stinking town

Tea girls, warm and sweet, warm, sweet

Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham Suite

"Get Thai'd", you're talking to a tourist

Whose every move's among the purest I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine..."

I never thought I would quote Murray Head in a thread... Well I just did! Amazing!

"Quality of life"... LOL

"...Whaddya mean? Ya seen one crowded, polluted, stinking town

Tea girls, warm and sweet, warm, sweet

Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham Suite

"Get Thai'd", you're talking to a tourist

Whose every move's among the purest I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine..."

I never thought I would quote Murray Head in a thread... Well I just did! Amazing!

Is that the place that has the chess bars in it? There's Iceland, the Philippines, Hastings, and this place...

Ha, cupped Pepperoni is a bit unique to Buffalo, so your on the right track! Amazingly a small town on the Oregon coast has Buffalo Pizza, and It's good but thin crust.

Chicago style is distinct but a little to heavy duty IMO.

Do they actually call it "Buffalo" pizza? In all the places I have traveled I have seen NY pizza (thin like others have mentioned), Chicago (generally deep dish), and that's it. Everything else is just generically called pizza. The exception being pizza with wing sauce, chicken, and blue cheese like they have in Rochester at wegmans which has the word Buffalo in it.

Buffalo wings yes, including some in Cali made with teriyaki sauce which was different but not bad. But not pizza.

Do they actually call it "Buffalo" pizza? In all the places I have traveled I have seen NY pizza (thin like others have mentioned), Chicago (generally deep dish), and that's it. Everything else is just generically called pizza. The exception being pizza with wing sauce, chicken, and blue cheese like they have in Rochester at wegmans which has the word Buffalo in it.

Buffalo wings yes, including some in Cali made with teriyaki sauce which was different but not bad. But not pizza.

Buffalo pizza is different... I can't put my finger on except that it is a bit doughier? Something about?? Not like other "pizza."

Buffalo pizza is different... I can't put my finger on except that it is a bit doughier? Something about?? Not like other "pizza."

I have never had pizza in Buffalo, maybe I should try it sometime. But I generally get wings when I'm there.

But pizza in Rochester is thicker than NY style and thinner than deep dish which seems to be what you are describing. But it's just called pizza, not Buffalo pizza.

I have never had pizza in Buffalo, maybe I should try it sometime. But I generally get wings when I'm there.

But pizza in Rochester is thicker than NY style and thinner than deep dish which seems to be what you are describing. But it's just called pizza, not Buffalo pizza.

Roch is probably the same as BFLO... But go elsewhere in the country and it is like cardboard or just different... Especially in the sticks... My sister lives in VT and it is terrible.

True... BFLO is just "pizza." But for some reason, it is basic, good pizza! Go figure.

They do call it "Buffalo Pizza" which had me scratching my head when I first heard it for a couple of reasons.

I had never heard the description before. it is hands down the best pizza in a town where frozen crusts are filled with

a cheese wizz like substance, etc. and called pizza. In a couple of ways it tastes different than pizza I get when in Buffalo. It's thin crust, never had one in Buffalo. He uses wood fired ovens. The owner is Italian and certainly knows how to make a pizza.

I think he uses the word Buffalo simply because he is from there. People here think pizza is chit based on the cheese wizz "style". Crap pizza is not unique west of the Rockies.

This whole thing started with someone on this board saying he opened a place somewhere and introduced people to "Buffalo pizza"? In this small coastal town the place is hands down the best pizza, but there is nothing in it that I can tell is unique or "Buffalo like".

They do call it "Buffalo Pizza" which had me scratching my head when I first heard it for a couple of reasons.

I had never heard the description before. it is hands down the best pizza in a town where frozen crusts are filled with

a cheese wizz like substance, etc. and called pizza. In a couple of ways it tastes different than pizza I get when in Buffalo. It's thin crust, never had one in Buffalo. He uses wood fired ovens. The owner is Italian and certainly knows how to make a pizza.

I think he uses the word Buffalo simply because he is from there. People here think pizza is chit based on the cheese wizz "style". Crap pizza is not unique west of the Rockies.

This whole thing started with someone on this board saying he opened a place somewhere and introduced people to "Buffalo pizza"? In this small coastal town the place is hands down the best pizza, but there is nothing in it that I can tell is unique or "Buffalo like".

I think it has to do with oven type... You sure it is wood fired? That sounds too fancy for BFLO pizza. If somebody could clarify this, I would be much obliged. Yes, it is just plain old regular pizza... But for some reason... It is done really well... And hell knows that BFLO has a ton of mom and pop pizza joints!

I think it has to do with oven type... You sure it is wood fired? That sounds too fancy for BFLO pizza. If somebody could clarify this, I would be much obliged. Yes, it is just plain old regular pizza... But for some reason... It is done really well... And hell knows that BFLO has a ton of mom and pop pizza joints!

As BPA said, the owner probably refers to it as "Buffalo Style" because he's from Buffalo.

As someone who has worked in 3 different Buffalo pizzerias, I can tell you that most all of pizzerias in Buffalo bake their pies in Blodgett (the brand) gas-fired ovens. A true Buffalo pizza is started on a flat pizza pan (not perforated like they commonly use in NYC) and when the top is almost done (cheese bubbling, pepperoni just starting to sizzle), the pizza is "decked." This means you grab the pan with your tongs and quickly and suddenly pull the pan out from under the pizza. The pizza then finishes baking on the floor of the oven which seems like a ceramic surface (like those pizza stones you can buy for your oven). This process of "decking" allows the bottom of the crust to brown. The pizza is then removed using a pizza paddle.

A conscientious pizzeria will allow the pizza to cool for a minute before slicing so that the cheese doesn't run all over the place… kind of like letting your steaks "rest" so that the juices don't flow everywhere.

All three Buffalo pizzerias I worked in used this process.

All three also used Margherita pepperoni and Sorrento mozzarella.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

As BPA said, the owner probably refers to it as "Buffalo Style" because he's from Buffalo.

As someone who has worked in 3 different Buffalo pizzerias, I can tell you that most all of pizzerias in Buffalo bake their pies in Blodgett (the brand) gas-fired ovens. A true Buffalo pizza is started on a flat pizza pan (not perforated like they commonly use in NYC) and when the top is almost done (cheese bubbling, pepperoni just starting to sizzle), the pizza is "decked." This means you grab the pan with your tongs and quickly and suddenly pull the pan out from under the pizza. The pizza then finishes baking on the floor of the oven which seems like a ceramic surface (like those pizza stones you can buy for your oven). This process of "decking" allows the bottom of the crust to brown. The pizza is then removed using a pizza paddle.

A conscientious pizzeria will allow the pizza to cool for a minute before slicing so that the cheese doesn't run all over the place… kind of like letting your steaks "rest" so that the juices don't flow everywhere.

WOW... Awesome breakdown of what they do... Thanx!

That is different to how they are made in Rochester (at least the places I have been to).

Here they use a traditional gas fired pizza oven and no pan at all. It just goes right into the oven.

Maybe the places in Buffalo really are a bit thicker crust than here after all and that's what requires the pan.

Interesting. Guess I'm going to have to try it sometime.

Any particular places, close to 90 preferred, that are recommended?

And as a side note, suddenly I'm hungry :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

WOW... Awesome breakdown of what they do... Thanx!

And the reason they do it that way is the pizza it too doughy in my opinion. They don't stretch the dough enough before putting it on the stone. Traditional Italian (Neopolitan to be exact) the dough is stretched very thin and put directly on the stone. That way it's crispy and not "floppy" like NY style pizza. When I went to Culinary school outside of NY we made fun of the New Yorkers because they had to fold their pizza in order to eat it. I prefer mine thin and crispy. But like music food is "to each his own".

And the reason they do it that way is the pizza it too doughy in my opinion. They don't stretch the dough enough before putting it on the stone. Traditional Italian (Neopolitan to be exact) the dough is stretched very thin and put directly on the stone. That way it's crispy and not "floppy" like NY style pizza. When I went to Culinary school outside of NY we made fun of the New Yorkers because they had to fold their pizza in order to eat it. I prefer mine thin and crispy. But like music food is "to each his own".

Not entirely because of the stretching. The yeast fermentation process will greatly have an affect on how thick or thin the dough will be.

I can achieve different thicknesses with just how I approach the rise.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Not entirely because of the stretching. The yeast fermentation process will greatly have an affect on how thick or thin the dough will be.

I can achieve different thicknesses with just how I approach the rise.

This is very true. The more more yeast you use of course the more the dough will rise. That's the problem in my mind. People that have no idea how to cook will put a yeasty pizza in a very hot pizza oven. They see the bottom browned, the top nice and cooked and they pull it out. However the dough has not been cooked all the way through.

If you go to China and eat local cuisine it is called food, not Chinese food.