Former WR Josh Reed Slams Buffalo

Ok. I've gotta ask. Do you sell this? I've been looking for some really good, really fresh Mozz for a while now. Can't seem to find anything like that "eating a slice of milk" taste.

Try the artisan section in the link I posted above... Some cheeses are a bit steep at 20 bucks a pound.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I've gotta ask. Do you sell this? I've been looking for some really good, really fresh Mozz for a while now. Can't seem to find anything like that "eating a slice of milk" taste.

No I make that, camembert, and cured meats just for personal consumption. If you want that taste just make it yourself. It's easy. Google 30 minute mozzarella.

Thanks to you, Saint, and IL.

No prob - ive done it a few times with mixed to good results and was actually at a cheese making demo just lastnight for fresh mozz and ricotta and a few other of the quick cheeses. None that hard but a little bit of "getting a feel for it." kind of like a biscuit - simple recipes, but you have to figure out the right way to handle it and not overwork it. Hard to beat the quality of homemade when you start getting the touch though. Even the good store bought stuff will seem like day old bread in comparison to fresh out of your own kitchen.

Edited by NoSaint

Living in the Chicago area... My children only like "Buffalo style" pizza and "Chicago style" all beef hotdogs... Go figure!

In Buffalo, the crust is thick and "doughy" with the "cupped" pepperoni... Oh, and cheap costwise... Not a fancy crust. Chicago, you get a "cracker crust," deep dish, or stuffed. Buffalo is no frills, basic... No getting fancy.

IMO

Living in the Chicago area... My children only like "Buffalo style" pizza and "Chicago style" all beef hotdogs... Go figure!

In Buffalo, the crust is thick and "doughy" with the "cupped" pepperoni... Oh, and cheap costwise... Not a fancy crust. Chicago, you get a "cracker crust," deep dish, or stuffed. Buffalo is no frills, basic... No getting fancy.

IMO

Thank you for this. I was wrapping my head trying to figure out why I love "Buffalo Pizza" so much more than anywhere else. NYC is always so thin, Chicago, deep, no matter where I go I always get big ginormous sausage size pepperoni that is half wet and mushy. Pizza in Buffalo generally uses Margherita Pepperoni and it's always crispy on the rim and perfectly cooked in the center. When I get pizza from around the NYC area as I do just about every week while I'm at work, it's always paper thin, dripping with no sauce but all grease and falling all over the place when I grab it by the crust. I usually end up with a stream of nasty grease dripping down my palm, past my wrist and drips off my elbow. I've heard of people saying Buffalos pizza is greasy but I think there's a different kind of grease. I dot get that with Bocce, Johns, Mister Pizza, Imperial Pizza at all. Not sure where people are getting this so called greasy pizza but I think it's the wrong places. Regarding the cheese that people say we use that is sub par, I know for a fact that those places I mentioned (which are usually the only places I order from) use fresh Sorrento Mozz Cheese. Not quite the mozz we talked about as far as being fresh, but much better than many places in other cities from what I can tell.

IMO

Ha, cupped Pepperoni is a bit unique to Buffalo, so your on the right track! Amazingly a small town on the Oregon coast has Buffalo Pizza, and It's good but thin crust.

Chicago style is distinct but a little to heavy duty IMO.

That was one of the more rambling nonsensical responses I've seen in a while.

You may disagree with what he said, but Reed was pretty coherent.

Thank you for this. I was wrapping my head trying to figure out why I love "Buffalo Pizza" so much more than anywhere else. NYC is always so thin, Chicago, deep, no matter where I go I always get big ginormous sausage size pepperoni that is half wet and mushy. Pizza in Buffalo generally uses Margherita Pepperoni and it's always crispy on the rim and perfectly cooked in the center. When I get pizza from around the NYC area as I do just about every week while I'm at work, it's always paper thin, dripping with no sauce but all grease and falling all over the place when I grab it by the crust. I usually end up with a stream of nasty grease dripping down my palm, past my wrist and drips off my elbow. I've heard of people saying Buffalos pizza is greasy but I think there's a different kind of grease. I dot get that with Bocce, Johns, Mister Pizza, Imperial Pizza at all. Not sure where people are getting this so called greasy pizza but I think it's the wrong places. Regarding the cheese that people say we use that is sub par, I know for a fact that those places I mentioned (which are usually the only places I order from) use fresh Sorrento Mozz Cheese. Not quite the mozz we talked about as far as being fresh, but much better than many places in other cities from what I can tell.

My vote goes to New Haven-style pizza. That stuff is incredible.

San Jose, interesting perspectives!

I think a couple of the players (MaGahee, Lynch) mentioned brought the hostility onto themselves in their words or actions. A couple of others (Peca, Hasek) wanted out of Buffalo during their prime only to want to return years later. Buffalonians could do a better job moving on I suppose!

I don't know how often you visit Montreal but it is a very different place in some respects than when you lived there. I have visited Montreal numerous times over the last fifteen years. Montreal is a very cool city with great cultural offerings. Montrealers can be very passionate with a history of rioting (Rocket riot of 1955 and the playoff riot of 2008). That passion also effects spheres other than sports with this year's student protests, the pursuit of separatism and the language law being particularly dramatic!. I am American with parts of my family being from both the U.S. and Canada. I haven't lived in Buffalo for a long time (now in San Diego). However, based on my interactions in Montreal, Toronto and Buffalo, the relations between Americans and Canadians have become much worse over the last thirty or so years. There are a lot of reasons for the anger. But it is anger and that is especially true from the Canadian side. This resentment was on full display for the 2011 World Juniors tourney in Buffalo. From my view, it is well beyond rivalry. In Montreal, it is well known that the locals don't like Americans. Feeling it from both sides, it is unfortunate.

I often wonder how different Buffalo and Buffalonians would be with a thriving economy (first) and a couple of championships on our resume. I wish for both!

I moved to Buffalo when I was 6, from Montreal, Canada (I love Canada and Candians… I think as a whole they are a good people and are great neighbors and if you're the patriotic type, great allies). I lived in Buffalo until I was 41 at which point my wife and I moved to San Jose, CA.

My wife's also a longtime WNYer… a beautiful Tonawanda girl. We moved for three reasons:

We thought it would be good to live in another city and truth be told, were intrigued to live in the Silicon Valley because of its status as the epicenter of the world's high tech industry, its multiculturalism and because of its legendary climate… 300 sunny days each year, low humidity.

On top of that, I was offered employment here in my chosen field that was twice denied to me when I lived in Buffalo. The Buffalo people didn't want me… maybe I wasn't their type. The people out here went out of their way to recruit me after seeing my test scores and interviewing me. I was actually their number one choice among hundreds of candidates.

However the biggest factor in our moving to San Jose was that my elderly parents had moved out here in the 80s and after having witnessed a succession of friend's parents passing away through the 1990s and early 2000s, I knew it was time for me to reconcile with my family and find some peace. That mission has gone quite well.

It was tough leaving Buffalo. After living there for 35 years, it's become dyed-in-wool. I lived in the Elmwood Village in a very nice Arts and Crafts home. My downstairs tenants rental income was more than my mortgage payment. Even on my modest income I lived very comfortably (and complacently). I had great neighbors and most of my best friends are still in Buffalo. I try to visit once a year for our league's fantasy football draft. I am a true and true Buffalonian who loves Beef on Weck, Wings, Jim's Steakout, Mighty Taco, etc. etc. etc. I know all of WNY like the back of my hand and love rural WNY… the animals, plants, the climate, everything. I miss the Bills and the Sabres but luckily we live in the best of times for following sports teams from afar.

Buffalo has some problems and I think they stem from the poor political and economic conditions. I believe these problems have affected the populace profoundly. The state, region, and locale have been dragged down by corruption, nepotism, patronage, etc. While this "climate" exists in places like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and even in large cities who have large, downtrodden working class and/or poor populations like NYC, Boston, and Philly, those larger cities also have more wealth and more diversions and proportionately less focus on their sports team.

As others have pointed out, the poverty and poorness of our area continues to have a very negative effect on the people… so it's up to Buffalonians to try and rise above that. It's a handicap that has to be overcome.

This climate manifests itself in something I've brought up many times on this board… the way we Buffalonians have crapped on so many of our pro athletes. Dominik Hasek, Michael Peca, Lynch, McGahee, the list goes on and on. It's this small-minded, petty, and vindictive attitude which blemishes our fair city and gives critics the leeway to accuse us of being provincial, narrow-minded, and worse.

It seems that there's some misery and unhappiness latent in the community which affects the way we treat our athletes. It's amplified in Buffalo because we care so much about our sports teams… probably too much. If you do well as an athlete in Buffalo you're a god. If you don't do well… good luck. Good or bad we invest too heavily and intensely in our sports teams/athletes and somewhere along the way something has poisoned our attitudes.

I'm a Buffalonian, I love Buffalo, but our attitudes and actions towards others (pro athletes, Canadians) says more about us than it does about them. And what it says is not good.

typical 9 pages on an ex-Bill's negative comments...

wow, sometimes you got a hello? ... in rochester? ... rochester, ny? ... what are you, a hot chick or something?

no im just a country guy who works construction in the city and the hellos come from the business area mainly but even then its like pulling teeth lol

Ha, cupped Pepperoni is a bit unique to Buffalo, so your on the right track! Amazingly a small town on the Oregon coast has Buffalo Pizza, and It's good but thin crust.

Chicago style is distinct but a little to heavy duty IMO.

There is a Buffalo Style pizza place in Pattaya Thailand also! Says right on the box, Western New Yorks finest pizza" and it is true Buffalo style, there is no mistaking it. Although, the pepperoni is a bit different, the restis the same and it is proudly Buffalo styla.

typical 9 pages on an ex-Bill's negative comments...

wow, sometimes you got a hello? ... in rochester? ... rochester, ny? ... what are you, a hot chick or something?

no im just a country guy who works construction in the city and the hellos come from the business area mainly but even then its like pulling teeth lol

It is a bit different in the old industrial north... Chicago is a lot like BFLO... People won't willfully reach out to you BUT, when a person does need help or something... People are very open and hospitable. Get what I am saying?

There is a Buffalo Style pizza place in Pattaya Thailand also! Says right on the box, Western New Yorks finest pizza" and it is true Buffalo style, there is no mistaking it. Although, the pepperoni is a bit different, the restis the same and it is proudly Buffalo styla.

But what the heck is BFLO style. Thick and doughy? No fancy dancy cuts... What bothers me about Chicago pizza is they cut it into little squares... Not pie triangles.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Well of course the pepperoni is different. It's made from dog meat.

It is a bit different in the old industrial north... Chicago is a lot like BFLO... People won't willfully reach out to you BUT, when a person does need help or something... People are very open and hospitable. Get what I am saying?

The last 2 visits to Chi-town for us have been for Clapton's Crossroads. We were in the Hotel in front of Buddy Guys legends club. My stories on both visits there were all on the extreme positive note.

I'll only bore you with one though. We got to the hotel by cab from the airport. Chatted up the cabbie paid, gave him his tip, and went in to register. Someone in our party said to me the cabbie is here to talk to you. I though I gave him some ones and a five for his tip. Turned out I gave him some ones and a fifty. He said I don't think you meant to tip me that well. I didn't but took the fifty back and gave him a twenty which then almost equaled the fare. As they say he was a righteous dude. I love Chicago people, especially the natural blond polish chicks.