Inventor of Electric Football Dies

BRAWNDO

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours never did quite work right. I take that happened with other people's game to. Now, knock hockey... That ruled!

RIP.

If by "knock hockey" you mean "rod hockey" (what we called it) there was nothing better... electric football was never as fun for me. The rod hockey game (and to a lesser extent, the basketball game) were amazing... I remember my brother and I playing an entire Sabres season on rod hockey, during the blizzard of '77. My brother was always good at models, and painting them very intricately...he did the same with our rod hockey set. One team was transformed from the Maple Leafs, into the Sabres, while the Canadians were transformed into the Flyers...names on the back of jerseys and all... we flipped a coin at the begining of the season, winner got to pick if they were the Sabres, or the oppostition team on the real schedule. You got to be the Sabres, until you lost, and then the other got to be the Sabres...we kept talley of of goalie W-L records, as well as goals scored....Gilbert Perreault had well over 160 goals that "season"...and of course, our one dimensional Sabres squad (the only time the Sabres being 1-D was an advantage!)won their first Stanley Cup during the blizzard of '77.

Edited by Buftex

RIP.

If by "knock hockey" you mean "rod hockey" (what we called it) there was nothing better... electric football was never as fun for me. The rod hockey game (and to a lesser extent, the basketball game) were amazing... I remember my brother and I playing an entire Sabres season on rod hockey, during the blizzard of '77. My brother was always good at models, and painting them very intricately...he did the same with our rod hockey set. One team was transformed from the Maple Leafs, into the Sabres, while the Canadians were transformed into the Flyers...names on the back of jerseys and all... we flipped a coin at the begining of the season, winner got to pick if they were the Sabres, or the oppostition team on the real schedule. You got to be the Sabres, until you lost, and then the other got to be the Sabres...we kept talley of of goalie W-L records, as well as goals scored....Gilbert Perreault had well over 160 goals that "season"...and of course, our one dimensional Sabres squad (the only time the Sabres being 1-D was an advantage!)won their first Stanley Cup during the blizzard of '77.

Oooops my bad... Rod hockey... I don't know why we always called it Knock Hockey... Just looked it up... That's the older game with the hockey sticks... :wallbash:

Electric football -- $#%@#%$!!! I can't even count the number of safeties I scored on myself playing that damn game, and my QB's completion percentage was less than 5%.

Rod hockey, bubble hockey, whatever you want to call it -- best game ever. I still have the Bobby Orr version in my attic.

Did you read some of the comments... Pretty funny! RIP

Something like... They spent hours upon hours getting his funeral ready only to have it turn into utter chaos when the people started to show up.

Another one is: "My Bills always won the Super Bowl."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Electric football -- $#%@#%$!!! I can't even count the number of safeties I scored on myself playing that damn game, and my QB's completion percentage was less than 5%.

Rod hockey, bubble hockey, whatever you want to call it -- best game ever. I still have the Bobby Orr version in my attic.

Foozeball, pretty cool too... We had a commercial table in the basement... It would get so heated, that one time the table was tipped in rage! Pretty heavy bar room table too!

They better position the mourners and pall-bearers just right or it'll take forever for the casket to make it into the grave when the flip on the power.....

That's it Avenger!

Oh... The foozeball thing... Wife gets all upset whenever we find a table somewhere... I impress them with some of the moves from back in the day... I tell her: "You shouldn't have been reading books!" Amazing how you can still remember some of that crap! They think I am cheating!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I used to use the players that would be sprinting in the open field and going all the way on 80 yard runs only to abruptly turn around and start going the other way -- on end arounds, hoping to time it perfectly for them to run for 40 yard TDs.

APBA Baseball and APBA Football were the games to play though.

When I got one for X-Mas in the late 70's the game came with the Steelers and Cowboys. After a few days the # decals would start to fall off....the unpredictability would be maddening these days but in the mind of 9 year old who loved football it was pure fun.

Eff RIP. May this guy spin around in circles for all eternity.

Thanks for ruining my childhood - thinking everybody else has a game that works like on the commercials, but I must be an idiot because nothing any of the players do looks like football.

So, he sold 40 millions of these games and nobody got them to work. This has really got to be unprecedented.

They better position the mourners and pall-bearers just right or it'll take forever for the casket to make it into the grave when the flip on the power.....

Good one. I remember a family on my street cut off all of those little bristley things on the bottoms of the players and then wondered why the pieces didn't move.