[closed]Zebrie Sanders better not pull this cr*p in Buffalo

Florida State's offensive line when it feels like there's an offside quick snaps the ball and doesn't move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzV8KUD8Mv8

Zebrie felt like there was an offside on that play and acted according to what his coaches told him to do. You can see the fellow to his right ALSO stays still. There was an offside call and they acted appropriately for that situation. You can see the Gator defensemen flinch at the line before the snap, that's what drew them to stand still.

A mental lapse to be incorrect about the offside, sure even if it probably was offside, was he napping or being a bonehead? No.

FLORIDA STATE! FLORIDA STATE! FLORIDA STATE! WOOOO

Edited by gregkash

youtube.com/watch?v=cV448r5f2qI

Falling asleep while your QB is running around helplessly...this better not happen here. Seriously. WTF are you doing?

Actually you want him to pull this crap in BuFfalo.

It shows he listens to his coaches. An NFL team wouldn't have as silly a rule but zebrie was disciplined.

He is a very intelligent athletic young man. I personally thing he will develop into a contributor.

Falling asleep while your QB is running around helplessly...this better not happen here. Seriously. WTF are you doing?

The last question in this post demanding to know WTF he was doing is really the only relevant thing here. This situation is so unusual that it simply demands that a team ask this player who had shown the raw talent to be a much earlier pick as to what he was thinking?

Was there some medical problem which actually caused him to sleep? Doubtful as deep sleep usually brings with it a loss of muscle control and if anything he demonstrated great control to remain stock still with so much action around him.

Was this an act of willfully getting back at the coaches or qb on this play. Probably most problematic as he may have been most motivated by personal angst rather just playing football though there could be some explanation here which makes taking a talented player with a fairly usually meaningless final day pick a worthwhile flyer

WTF was going on.

Particularly on a team with a significant need for more talented players on the OL, its simply hard actually to justify not taking a flyer on a physically talented player who appears to have taken a mental vacation on one play,

Ok ... so you are far behind on catching up with the bloopers of college football.

If you really are interested in what Zebrie Sanders brings to the table why not watch him in action rather than this moment of inaction. You will find that we drafted a really strong offensive lineman with potential to be either a quality back-up or even a potential started in the NFL.

Good luck as you search your time machine for more bits of history that the rest of us have moved beyond already ...

And if other news, "the Pope is Catholic."

omg he should be cut now...where was this at the draft? I feel like this will become a kenny mayne skit this season! I thought the line was teaching the qb a lesson or something?

This has been covered ad nauseum at the time of the draft.

It was an offside play (or the OL felt it was an offside play). Zebrie and the guy next to him were performing as instructed by the FSU coaches for an offside play.

Do I want him doing this in the NFL? No. Will he be coached to do this in the NFL? No. Is it a Good Thing that he performs as instructed by the coaches? Yes.

This has been covered ad nauseum at the time of the draft.

It was an offside play (or the OL felt it was an offside play). Zebrie and the guy next to him were performing as instructed by the FSU coaches for an offside play.

Do I want him doing this in the NFL? No. Will he be coached to do this in the NFL? No. Is it a Good Thing that he performs as instructed by the coaches? Yes.

Sarcasm doesn't come acoss on the web.

Florida State's offensive line when it feels like there's an offside quick snaps the ball and doesn't move.

youtube.com/watch?v=IzV8KUD8Mv8

Zebrie felt like there was an offside on that play and acted according to what his coaches told him to do. You can see the fellow to his right ALSO stays still. There was an offside call and they acted appropriately for that situation. You can see the Gator defensemen flinch at the line before the snap, that's what drew them to stand still.

A mental lapse to be incorrect about the offside, sure even if it probably was offside, was he napping or being a bonehead? No.

FLORIDA STATE! FLORIDA STATE! FLORIDA STATE! WOOOO

It's not crap if you are being disciplined.

This again? Look, if you want to blame someone for this blame the FSU coaching staff. Other than that it's a complete non-story. The guy did what he was taught to do.

All of this.

It wasnt a mistake, or him "falling asleep". He was doing exactly as he was instructed. It sure looks strange on the tape, out of context, but there is nothing to be worried about.

What is it that he was "taught to do"? In the OP video, sure, the o-line may have been expecting and therefore waiting (briefly) for an offsides flag. But every other guy realized that there was no flag and dropped back to block--or at least moved around some. Did this kid not see there was no flag and that everyone around him was continuing with the play? 20 guys ran by him, including his QB an he still didn't budge. What was his goal there?

What is it that he was "taught to do"? In the OP video, sure, the o-line may have been expecting and therefore waiting (briefly) for an offsides flag. But every other guy realized that there was no flag and dropped back to block--or at least moved around some. Did this kid not see there was no flag and that everyone around him was continuing with the play? 20 guys ran by him, including his QB an he still didn't budge. What was his goal there?

That is what he was taught to do. In the OP's video, I think either the other linemen didn't think the D was offside, or they didn't do what they were taught (and probably got chewed out).

I posted this in the Zebrie thread from three days ago. There's a full explanation by the TV crew:

FSU and others coach the kids to freeze when they think the defense jumped offsides to emphasize that it was not a false start. He probably took it too far in that case but here's another example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgpPGfj1_sM

That is what he was taught to do. In the OP's video, I think either the other linemen didn't think the D was offside, or they didn't do what they were taught (and probably got chewed out).

I posted this in the Zebrie thread from three days ago. There's a full explanation by the TV crew:

Well, yeah, I think we all got that he was told to freeze if he thinks there is an off sides. But how could he not realize there was no whistle/flag. Guys were running all over the place! All his linemen bolted too. He stood there the entire time--12 seconds! Did they really say "if you think there is an off-sides, no matter what happens---DO NOT MOVE FROM THAT POINT ON!!"

I'm pretty sure they didn't coach him to do that.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Well, yeah, I think we all got that he was told to freeze if he thinks there is an off sides. But how could he not realize there was no whistle/flag. Guys were running all over the place! All his linemen bolted too. He stood there the entire time--12 seconds! Did they really say "if you think there is an off-sides, no matter what happens---DO NOT MOVE FROM THAT POINT ON!!"

I'm pretty sure they didn't coach him to do that.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but based on being a casual college football fan and seeing that scenario a number of times, and the clear explanation in the video I just posted, I am sure he and the rest were coached to not move from that point on. There is no whistle on an offsides unless the QB spikes the ball, or is clearly not participating in the play and a defender is pursuing the QB unabated.

If you didn't or can't watch the video the color commentator explains that the oline coach is a strict former Marine and they are coached to not move until the play is over.