How many fans remember this game in 1969

HOUSE

More posts like these please people, this is classic stuff.

I remember the Rockpile well. I lived like 6 blocks away when I was young . Even when we didn't go to the games we used to sit outside with the radio and listen for the crowd reactions outside. It was awesome.

My first Bills Game was in 72 vs. the Steelers.

Pittsburg had Franco Harris,Terry Bradshaw. Franco I think scored 3 times.

O.J had a 94 yd TD and had over 180 on the day. Bobby Chandler had a nice game I think he scored twice.

We lost 38-21 but it was a fun game to watch. It's funny my Mom took me because she wanted to see OJ play.

One other thing about the Rockpile, that grass was thick almost like what Notre Dame plays on now. And it was super green early in the season.

I loved watching the games I dont remember or was too young to see on Youtube.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too was there at this game! I was 11, my brother 10 and my Dad, rest his soul, was so young at 33!

I remember we had garbage bags to keep the snow out, but they didn't help much! LOL!

My eyes stung from the snow hitting them so persistently all afternoon.

We were literally right at yard line where Edgerson stole the ball. I remember the play seemed to take forever, and the WR's and the DB's were just running around and you couldn't even tell who was on which team. Edgerson kind of stood at the outside, just off the line, and somehow I felt like I knew what he was thinking. Suddenly, he started running in and I'm so excited that I can't yell or scream or anything, and I'm tugging on my Dad's sleeve and pointing out at Edgerson, trying to get him to look as it transpired. I watched as Edgerson just simply lifted the ball out of Cook's hand and ran into the end zone. The Ref didn't see him do it, and there's Edgerson jumping up and down in the end zone, Cook without the ball looking at Edgerson with half disbelief and half disgust, the bewildered Ref standing between Cook and the end zone trying to figure out how in the hell Edgerson ended up with it. I remember the Ref running up to him to get an explanation. Seemed like it took at least a couple of minutes while I watched Edgerson acting out what had happened before he just shrugged and put his hands up to signal the TD. Nobody around me had even seen it and I was telling everybody around us what had just happened.

It brings tears to my eyes typing this story. My Dad's been gone now for over six years but I remember this day just like it was yesterday, and the way he looked at me as I told him what had happened and how proud I was that I saw it. Take me back........................

My crowd was lucky -- we were all yelling to each other to watch Edgerson when he came in on the blitz because we'd already missed plays when we couldn't see through the snow. So we all saw it.

This whole thread is taking me back to some great memories, especially of people who aren't here anymore (like my two uncles who got the game tickets at work somehow). Thanks to everyone for your stories.

Edited by Ennjay

More posts like these please people, this is classic stuff.

I remember the Rockpile well. I lived like 6 blocks away when I was young . Even when we didn't go to the games we used to sit outside with the radio and listen for the crowd reactions outside. It was awesome.

My first Bills Game was in 72 vs. the Steelers.

Pittsburg had Franco Harris,Terry Bradshaw. Franco I think scored 3 times.

O.J had a 94 yd TD and had over 180 on the day. Bobby Chandler had a nice game I think he scored twice.

We lost 38-21 but it was a fun game to watch. It's funny my Mom took me because she wanted to see OJ play.

One other thing about the Rockpile, that grass was thick almost like what Notre Dame plays on now. And it was super green early in the season.

I loved watching the games I dont remember or was too young to see on Youtube.

I love writing about the Rockpile but I am afraid some people might find it boring. I am new to the board but I will try to slip in a thread now and then.

Hell, your response could be a thread.....go for it!

wow--if this is about the old rockpile--and stories in general--i could go on and on--and on

from roy jefferson leaping the fence and charging into the stands after some heckler----to walking down to the fence area(u could just stroll down there in the old days))---and staring at vince lombardi--afraid to call out to him even though he was 15 feet away(there w his young redskins--who woulda been a championship team under him if he had lived---they were really getting good)-----to describing the neighbors we had at our two sets of season tickets(a big fat guy who played the bartender in a local series of beer commercials and his skinny chain smoking wife).

anyone remember a biz down on jefferson called ST LOUIS TRIPE?

I was 15 then. The first game I went to was the Jets game in 68. I think I watched the highlights of the Cincy game at my Grandfather's house in Blasdell. No clear memory of it but I watched most away games with him.

Your post brought back so many memories of him. He loved the Bills and it rubbed off on me.

My crowd was lucky -- we were all yelling to each other to watch Edgerson when he came in on the blitz because we'd already missed plays when we couldn't see through the snow. So we all saw it.

This whole thread is taking me back to some great memories, especially of people who aren't here anymore (like my two uncles who got the game tickets at work somehow). Thanks to everyone for your stories.

I agree, Some real time fans are no longer with us but I have great memories of the Rockpile.

I was 15 then. The first game I went to was the Jets game in 68. I think I watched the highlights of the Cincy game at my Grandfather's house in Blasdell. No clear memory of it but I watched most away games with him.

Your post brought back so many memories of him. He loved the Bills and it rubbed off on me.

My father said I was stupid for wasting money on "Those s***ty Bills" but he only said that AFTER I bought season tickets,(lol)

Edited by HOUSE

My Dad's employer had tickets, and we got them this very day.(I was still in school) I remember the Edgerson touchdown like it was yesterday. The visibility was so bad, at times we could not see any players on the field. Worst conditions I ever saw at a Bills game. I was stunned when I got home and looked at the TV replays. The TV pictures were much better than the on field visibility, credit the electronic "snow" filters that also removed the image of the real "snow" Hence, those of you that saw the U tube view using the link really cannot appreciate how bad the visibility was that day. Yep, a real Bills memory at the old Rockpile. And, I admit it, I also am near older than dirt.

I have been looking for this highlight film for 20 years. Really.

I remember it like yesterday. Couldn't see much but I do remember the game well.

Took the University bus to UB then had to walk a mile home in deep snow.

Edited by HOUSE

I realize some of you are to young to remember this game in 1969 but I had 20 yard line seats. Most of the game went unrecorded because of whiteouts. I remember at one point the fans were not sure which team had the ball and the PA system was frozen, just a faint buzzz every time the mike was keyed.

I thought I would post for the older fans. Some recorded Buffalo Bills games are now available on YouTube. Just enter ( Buffalo Bills & year)

This game is a classic.....I believe the temperature was 25 degree at 1pm then dropped to 5 by half time with heavy snow. The tape of this game does NOT show how bad the weather truly was that day. Great game, Buffalo wins 6-3, wow.

NOTE O.J. Simpson is wearing #36 (rare footage) but there are no highlights of him running the ball, Bob Cappadonna wore #32 but I could find him on the tape.

If you remember this game please add me as a friend, WE OLD GUYS NEED TO STICK TOGETHER!

ENJOY

youtube.com/watch?v=8RChfBRj10Y

That wasn't OJ wearing 36, and he wasn't on the punt team, there were too many letters for Simpson. It could easily have been Cappadonna though. I believe OJ was 32 by the time the season started in his rookie year. Gary McDermott was the guy who wore 32 and I think he was cut before the season started and OJ was given the number.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

That wasn't OJ wearing 36, and he wasn't on the punt team, there were too many letters for Simpson. It could easily have been Cappadonna though. I believe OJ was 32 by the time the season started in his rookie year. Gary McDermott was the guy who wore 32 and I think he was cut before the season started and OJ was given the number.

I could be wrong but I believe OJ Simpson wore number 36 for his entire rookie season

If I am wrong,sorry.

I could be wrong but I believe OJ Simpson wore number 36 for his entire rookie season

If I am wrong,sorry.

Well you can tell looking at your own clip that there are too many letters for Simpson on #36's jersey, and again, surely he was not going to be on the punt team. #36 was probably Preston Ridlehuber in 1969.

This link shows McDermott wore 32 in 1968 before OJ and OJ wore 32 in 1969.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/uniform.cgi?number=32&team=buf

The only thing I am not positive of is when OJ got 32 from McDermott. OJ was definitely 36 in preseason but I am pretty sure that he was 32 his entire rookie season, and if not, it was only the first couple games. Another link I found said McDermott carried the ball for Atlanta in 1969 but never for the Bills, which again leads me to believe he was cut before the regular season started. I know OJ was on the cover of SI wearing 36 but that was for a preseason game..

This link also says it was only "a few preseason games" that OJ wore 36.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y41NlKNgRtMC&pg=PA206-IA12&lpg=PA206-IA12&dq=gary+mcdermott+oj+simpson+32&source=bl&ots=1q3ShfEwel&sig=c8j3qBZjpS7OxFCMweYhG8sDkeQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Gt_5T7bAO8qW2QX8k5zXBg&ved=0CFgQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=gary%20mcdermott%20oj%20simpson%2032&f=false

Well you can tell looking at your own clip that there are too many letters for Simpson on #36's jersey, and again, surely he was not going to be on the punt team. #36 was probably Preston Ridlehuber in 1969.

This link shows McDermott wore 32 in 1968 before OJ and OJ wore 32 in 1969.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/uniform.cgi?number=32&team=buf

The only thing I am not positive of is when OJ got 32 from McDermott. OJ was definitely 36 in preseason but I am pretty sure that he was 32 his entire rookie season, and if not, it was only the first couple games. Another link I found said McDermott carried the ball for Atlanta in 1969 but never for the Bills, which again leads me to believe he was cut before the regular season started. I know OJ was on the cover of SI wearing 36 but that was for a preseason game..

This link also says it was only "a few preseason games" that OJ wore 36.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y41NlKNgRtMC&pg=PA206-IA12&lpg=PA206-IA12&dq=gary+mcdermott+oj+simpson+32&source=bl&ots=1q3ShfEwel&sig=c8j3qBZjpS7OxFCMweYhG8sDkeQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Gt_5T7bAO8qW2QX8k5zXBg&ved=0CFgQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=gary%20mcdermott%20oj%20simpson%2032&f=false

I stand corrected and I thank you, I did this all from memory. Thanks again.

I was 15 but I took the 8A bus from University Plaza near U.B.

I am much older dirt. (lol)

Hey, I was three years out of high school then. Into and out of Kallage at that point.

Does were da days!

Hey, I was three years out of high school then. Into and out of Kallage at that point.

Does were da days!

Geeez, if this keeps up I might be the kid on the board.... :flirt:

#36 was probably Preston Ridlehuber in 1969.

OJ was definitely 36 in preseason but I am pretty sure that he was 32 his entire rookie season.

That's how I remember it too. McDermott was cut but IIRC they kept #22, Mini-Max Anderson.

That's how I remember it too. McDermott was cut but IIRC they kept #22, Mini-Max Anderson.

OJ's HOF profile says he also wore # 33 with the Bills, which I don't remember at all. Bills media guide confirms it as well. He did wear # 36 in the Pro Bowl in the mid-70s.

the rockpile was awesome, but at the time of its use by the bills, it had a lousy reputation, but as a kid growing up with the bills in the 60's, there was no bigger deal than be taken there for a bills game. i started attending AA bison's baseball games in the 80's just to be able to go there again.there was something about those hot dogs! they were just fried on a greasy looking rectangular skillet, but grabbing one, then going to the big mustard jars and squirting it on, yummy..

Edited by dwight in philly

the rockpile was awesome, but at the time of its use by the bills, it had a lousy reputation, but as a kid growing up with the bills in the 60's, there was no bigger deal than be taken there for a bills game. i started attending AA bison's baseball games in the 80's just to be able to go there again.there was something about those hot dogs! they were just fried on a greasy looking rectangular skillet, but grabbing one, then going to the big mustard jars and squirting it on, yummy..

I loved those AA Bison games. Rick Lancelloti, Tona Pena, Luis Salazar, etc. Not to mention the Earl of Bud, Conehead, and the "Cold Paaaaaaaaaap" vendors. Just being in the Rockpile brought back vivid memories of the Bills.