How many fans remember this game in 1969

HOUSE

I realize some of you are to young to remember this game in 1969 but I had 20 yard line seats. Most of the game went unrecorded because of whiteouts. I remember at one point the fans were not sure which team had the ball and the PA system was frozen, just a faint buzzz every time the mike was keyed.

I thought I would post for the older fans. Some recorded Buffalo Bills games are now available on YouTube. Just enter ( Buffalo Bills & year)

This game is a classic.....I believe the temperature was 25 degree at 1pm then dropped to 5 by half time with heavy snow.

You will notice the stands are empty near the end of the game and this was a result of a driving ban, most of the roads were closed after the game.Some people were scared to be trapped at the stadium. Lucky for me, I took the 8A bus back to the University Plaza. Not really sure how the bus driver could drive in a white out but we somehow survived. My dad picked me up at the bus stop and we laughed all the way home...

If you remember this game please add me as a friend, WE OLD GUYS NEED TO STICK TOGETHER!

ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RChfBRj10Y

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horst Muhlmann. Now that was a blast from the past. I remember listening to that game on the radio.

GO BILLS!!!

I had season tickets one row before the Band in the stands. The band went home in the first quarter. Lucky for me.

Why K-9, how come I'm not shocked that you remember games like this?

For one, I'm old as dirt around here (I was 10 when they played this game). And two, my dad was a statistician for the Bills on game days and some of my fondest earliest memories revolve around those early teams and hanging around that old press box. I was glued to the radio every Sunday I couldn't go (my older brothers would really rub it in).

Good times.

GO BILLS!!!

For one, I'm old as dirt around here (I was 10 when they played this game). And two, my dad was a statistician for the Bills on game days and some of my fondest earliest memories revolve around those early teams and hanging around that old press box. I was glued to the radio every Sunday I couldn't go (my older brothers would really rub it in).

Good times.

GO BILLS!!!

I was 15 but I took the 8A bus from University Plaza near U.B.

I am much older dirt. (lol)

Edited by HOUSE

I remember that game… not sure why.

I believe Sam Wyche was the Bengals QB in that game.

Greg Cook started and Wyche came in in relief. They probably had a dozen passes between them. Old time football!

GO BILLS!!!

I was 15 but I took the 8A bus from University Plaza near U.B.

My dirt has the half-life of uranium. The 'ol 8A on the NFTA. Gotta love it.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Good times.

GO BILLS!!!

You're not so old. I was in the Air Force, stationed in Anchorage at the time. It was during this time that I took a hiatus from following the Bills for a few years. Growing up in Niagara county though, we'd play football in snow like that in our neighborhood. "Hey, what's the problem'?

Greg Cook started and Wyche came in in relief. They probably had a dozen passes between them. Old time football!

GO BILLS!!!

My dirt has the half-life of uranium. The 'ol 8A on the NFTA. Gotta love it.

GO BILLS!!!

Cost me 25 cents !!

Edited by HOUSE

I was there with my brother, two uncles and a cousin, and you are correct sir.

The video is too good -- you can see too well. It was a legitimate whiteout. I remember from the stands you couldn't see the other stands across the field. And on both the Edgerson TD and the big Wyche run, the key was that most of the players on the field couldn't see what as happening with the ball so they didn't react to the play. Nobody went after Edgerson (I thought he ran maybe 30 yards to score) and nobody knew Wyche had the ball.

Cook had been ROY the previous season. It was a shame he got hurt so young.

I was there with my brother, two uncles and a cousin, and you are correct sir.

The video is too good -- you can see too well. It was a legitimate whiteout. I remember from the stands you couldn't see the other stands across the field. And on both the Edgerson TD and the big Wyche run, the key was that most of the players on the field couldn't see what as happening with the ball so they didn't react to the play. Nobody went after Edgerson (I thought he ran maybe 30 yards to score) and nobody knew Wyche had the ball.

Cook had been ROY the previous season. It was a shame he got hurt so young.

Thank You, I thought the tape didn't come close to showing how bad the weather was that day. At one point, I wasn't sure which team had the ball....

The P.A. system was frozen and all I could see was shadows. Ah the memories....

Edited by HOUSE

that's offensive. and you're not.

i envy you old geezers. at least you experienced the championship years. i'm ancient enough to have lived through the almost-glory years of the early nineties but i can't imagine being a fan who was born post '94. that would be brutal.

now, old folks, go drink some warm milk and go to bed. you need your rest.

Well… just watched the video. What a flood of memories. Names I haven't heard in years and years.

I listened to the game on the radio but seem to remember a Courier Express photo of the Mulhmann miss.

Thanks for posting.

This is one of my favorites as well. Check out the nifty artwork in the end zone ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgTroeyrVtk

I watched that game but I thought I would let somebody else post it. THANK YOU.

Edited by HOUSE

Didn't a defensive back blitz in, steal the ball from Greg Cooke as he was poised to throw it, and run in for a TD? If so I was at that game. We were in the covered end zone at the Rockpile, and at times could not see the scoreboard!

After the game we had to drive a friend from Buffalo to Rochester for college, and then drive back home to Hamburg.

Duh, should have watched the video before replying (but I am at work)...Booker Edgerson

:wallbash:

Edited by Rockpile

i envy you old geezers. at least you experienced the championship years. i'm ancient enough to have lived through the almost-glory years of the early nineties but i can't imagine being a fan who was born post '94. that would be brutal.

It really depends on when you became a fan.

I started as a Bills fan after my family moved to Buffalo in 1967 when I was 6 years old. The Bills won 4 games in '67, and 1 game in '68. In '69 they won 4 games, in '70 they won 3 games, in '71 they again won only 1 game and in '72 they won 4 games.

So in my first 6 years as a Bills fan, they won a grand total of 17 games.

This is one of my favorites as well. Check out the nifty artwork in Buffalo end zone ??

youtube.com/watch?v=RgTroeyrVtk

Awesome stuff. Looks pretty much like modern football too.

that's offensive. and you're not.

now, old folks, go drink some warm milk and go to bed. you need your rest.

That's a cakewalk compared to earlier fans. Despite the two AFL championships, for the 25 year period of 1960-1984, the Buffalo Bills had the worst winning percentage of ANY team in ANY of the four major North American sports leagues. Let that sink in a minute. We were beyond football bad. We were SPORTS bad.

And we loved them just the same.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9