Will SCOTUS uphold or strike down Obamacare  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will SCOTUS uphold or strikedown Obamacare

• Uphold in entirety
    • Uphold individual mandate but strike down other provisions
    • Strike down Indivdual Mandate but uphold remainder
    • Strike down Individual Mandate and other provisions
    • Strike down in entirety

First of all, it that was an option, why didn't he do it in the first place? He had full control of both houses and STILL made people kill their political careers to get this piece of garbage through. For want of the progressive holy grail of entitlements at any cost, he FUBAR'ed the whole thing. He should've stopped when Scott Brown was elected...but no. He kept pushing something that no one wanted, and two years later, STILL don't want.

Second of all, the main reason most people do not want ACA is because it forces every American, against their will, to purchase something EXCLUSIVELY because they exist. That is, at its most basic level, the complete opposite of freedom. Now I know libs and progs laugh at conservatives when they talk about the erosion of freedom, but that doesn't make it a laughing matter. While I am hopeful that it all gets struck down, I will say now that if it does, it will be a very sad day for our country. That a significant majority of one party took an entire year to do NOTHING but throw a trillion dollars out the window and then create a 2700-page abortion of a law that couldn't even pass the simple, basic laws of the land says more about the state of our country than it ever will about the utterly unprecedented incompetence of Barack Obama.

Stop holding back, tell us how you really feel.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't eat cheerios

Talking Democrats and Independents here

And again, people that wanted the public option or a larger health care bill weren't going to vote for Romney over Obama to begin with.

It's kind of like claiming that Obama's "If I had a son" comment helps him with black voters

Judgment Day

Having spent his first 14 months in office on achieving Obamacare, for the former constitutional law lecturer to see his signature reform declared unconstitutional would be a humiliating blow.

In ramming the bill through Congress, Obama failed to secure a single Republican vote, thereby shedding his campaign image as a bipartisan uniter.

Although passing the bill was a legislative victory, the reform itself has proved to be a political millstone.

The censure of Holder, in which a number of Democrats are poised to join Republicans, would also be a major embarrassment because Obama has claimed executive privilege, something he blasted his predecessor George W. Bush for doing.

So the mandate is constitutional. Chief Justice Roberts joins the left of the Court.

The Medicaid provision is limited but not invalidated.

The bottom line: the entire ACA is upheld, with the exception that the federal government's power to terminate states' Medicaid funds is narrowly read.

Edited by erynthered

So the mandate is constitutional. Chief Justice Roberts joins the left of the Court.

The Medicaid provision is limited but not invalidated.

The bottom line: the entire ACA is upheld, with the exception that the federal government's power to terminate states' Medicaid funds is narrowly read.

Unconstitutional under commerce clause. Constitutional as a tax. Even though it's not a tax.

Unconstitutional under commerce clause. Constitutional as a tax. Even though it's not a tax.

The court reinforces that individuals can simply refuse to pay the tax and not comply with the mandate.

Apologies - you can't refuse to pay the tax; typo. The only effect of not complying with the mandate is that you pay the tax.

The Court holds that the mandate violates the Commerce Clause, but that doesn't matter b/c there are five votes for the mandate to be constitutional under the taxing power.

Edited by erynthered

All of ACA upheld except that fed government's power to terminate states' Medicaid funds is narrowly read.

Roberts was the swing - voted with the libs. Kennedy with cons.

Edited by WilliamCody

I can't wait to read the **** Roberts must have put down on paper to justify that.

Wow, granted the ability to tax- WOW......

Now its time to start streamlining that 2400 pages behemouth to make it Work

That won't happen B....................and you know it.

its a sad day for all Americans.

I can't wait to read the **** Roberts must have put down on paper to justify that.

It's a simple justification, really. The only penalty for the individual mandate is a tax. You can't be punished otherwise. So Congress' power is in levying taxes. Within this conception, the law is constitutional.

Your prediction a page ago said the mandate would likely go down.

Were you talking out of your ass then, now, or both?

I thought it was 55 it would go down, 45 it would be upheld. Ultimately I predicted it would be upheld. Nobody knew.