Will SCOTUS uphold or strike down Obamacare  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will SCOTUS uphold or strikedown Obamacare

• Uphold in entirety
    • Uphold individual mandate but strike down other provisions
    • Strike down Indivdual Mandate but uphold remainder
    • Strike down Individual Mandate and other provisions
    • Strike down in entirety

"So even though Congress wrote a law that doesn't say anything that would make it constitutional, we can see what they meant and we've fixed it up for them."

It's more like "We can see through the political rhetoric and see how this thing actually functions"

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So even though Congress wrote a law that doesn't say anything that would make it constitutional, we can see what they meant and we've fixed it up for them."

That's what I'm getting so far. There is precedent for this...but Roberts has been known to ignore precedent in the past.

Nope. It's a great day for those who want to see something ultimately happen with respect to healthcare reform.

That would be true if ACA actually reformed health care. All it does is raise everyone's taxes. Of course, that's also a great day for liberals, so let's not split hairs.

It's more like "We can see through the political rhetoric and see how this thing actually functions"

I'll be interested to see if Roberts not only looked at "function," but also at Congressional "intent."

Oh wait, he can't. Because we "have to pass it to see what's in it."

I'll be interested to see if Roberts not only looked at "function," but also at Congressional "intent."

Oh wait, he can't. Because we "have to pass it to see what's in it."

It's plain that Roberts was taking a conservative view of the Court's ability to adjudicate on matters of taxation. See above link in my last post for a excerpt from his opinion where he directly addresses this.

It's about whether we can change what's written just enough to make it pass a Constitutional check.

Is this spoken from Roberts' or Congress' perspective?

It's plain that Roberts was taking a conservative view of the Court's ability to adjudicate on matters of taxation. See above link in my last post for a excerpt from his opinion where he directly addresses this.

Is this spoken from Roberts' or Congress' perspective?

Robert's.

Congress has no idea what the Constitution is, or how it's incorporated into their job.

So you think that Roberts actually wanted this thing to pass and tailored his decision to suit?

I don't know what Robert's wants.

But I do know that ACA didn't actually say what the justices massaged it into saying.

This isn't a newspaper where Congress are the writers and the Court is the editor. You shouldn't just get to slap **** down, and wait for someone to fix your mistakes later.

I don't know what Robert's wants.

But I do know that ACA didn't actually say what the justices massaged it into saying.

This isn't a newspaper where Congress are the writers and the Court is the editor. You shouldn't just get to slap **** down, and wait for someone to fix your mistakes later.

The point I've been trying to make is that Robert wasn't looking at the wording or the read world policy effects, but of his and the Court's constitutional power to adjudicate the IM. And since Congress pinned this "mandate" to a tax - well within it's powers - he deemed it a functional and Constitutional power for Congress. You can tell by reading his opinion he did not want to have to make this decision, but his strict constructionism forced him to.

Right, I was just throwing in a little Pelosi humor that we can appreciate.

Roberts takes judicial restraint seriously, everyone knows that. The rest of them use it when it is convenient. Now that I'm reading his opinion, I can see where he's coming from. Is it the decision I would have made? Probably not, but I can't be sure. To be sure, the dissenting opinions are very strong as well. But it's up to the Chief Justice to establish what the judicial attitudes on the Court will be. He decided that restraint is more important than ideology. I can appreciate that.

It was an argument that the attorneys made. Roberts didn't pull this out of his ass.

but i thought the new tax penalty cannot be enforced? no?

I'd like to hear someone in the know address this. I assume that (1) part of the law has provisions for enforcement or (2) it will be enforced through the IRS like every other tax. But I'm not sure.