FB or HB

Corey Mcintyre has been a good special teams player for the Bills for 4 years now, I believe he was a special teams captain. He has been less than productive as an offensive player however, having gained less than 140 total yards rushing and rec. in his entire 8 year NFL career.At age 33 he is also getting a little long in the tooth( pun intended/ likes those vampire eyeteeth).This preseason could be his swansong on the Bills roster.

Dorin Dickerson has been brought in to add some competion to the FB/HB/TE position. He is a 24 year old from Pitt. who has posted sub 4.4 40 times and is so adapt at catching the ball that he has even worked out at WR. He also has the Dave Wannstedt Pitt . connection going for him. Thus far in OTA's he has been taking most of the 1st team FB/HB snaps.Coach Gailey has stated that he wants to get more production from a position that has been overlooked on this team for several years now and has almost gushed at times of Dorin's potential there as well as his good blocking ability.

Add to this the depth the team has now to fill out the special teams roster with players like Tank C. and Nigel B.to mention just a few and things don't appear to rosey for Corey's chances for a 2012 roster spot.

What say you my TBD friends.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. If this kids shows anything at all I also think Corey is gone. I respect him and appreciate his effort but kind of like Moorman it seems it will be time to move on. Wish him well and and am impressed with his character but I think he will be gone. Thanks for being a great team guy.

Corey Mcintyre has been a good special teams player for the Bills for 4 years now, I believe he was a special teams captain. He has been less than productive as an offensive player however, having gained less than 140 total yards rushing and rec. in his entire 8 year NFL career.At age 33 he is also getting a little long in the tooth( pun intended/ likes those vampire eyeteeth).This preseason could be his swansong on the Bills roster.

Dorin Dickerson has been brought in to add some competion to the FB/HB/TE position. He is a 24 year old from Pitt. who has posted sub 4.4 40 times and is so adapt at catching the ball that he has even worked out at WR. He also has the Dave Wannstedt Pitt . connection going for him. Thus far in OTA's he has been taking most of the 1st team FB/HB snaps.Coach Gailey has stated that he wants to get more production from a position that has been overlooked on this team for several years now and has almost gushed at times of Dorin's potential there as well as his good blocking ability.

Add to this the depth the team has now to fill out the special teams roster with players like Tank C. and Nigel B.to mention just a few and things don't appear to rosey for Corey's chances for a 2012 roster spot.

What say you my TBD friends.

A lot of Corey Mac's contribution to the team has been blocking. This shouldn't be overlooked simply because there isn't a stat on it. He's proven himself a strong, capable blocker. Bam, Sonned. The problem is, when he's in, he's pretty much in to block. For whatever reason, Chan doesn't trust him very much with the ball either running or receiving.

I agree with you that Dickerson was brought in essentially to compete with Corey and if he does well enough blocking when the pads go on/preseason and on ST, it is very likely only one of them will be kept on the team and it will likely be Dickerson because of his increased versatility, youth and speed.

Do keep in mind that Chan has a track record in previous training camps of gushing about players who later get the scissors.

I love CMac. Don't want him to leave. But if it males our team better I font see why it's a bad idea. I just don't wanna start letting everyone go. Like you said, he was one of the leaders and playmakers of the ST unit. However it's keybwe get Bradham and Carder on the field as much as possible.

Where's CMacs agent when you need him. Got any insight on this topic, agent?

Do keep in mind that Chan has a track record in previous training camps of gushing about players who later get the scissors.

I think a lot of players respond strongly to praise. I took the comments about Dickerson as the coaches sending a clear message he can really win a job, and hey believe in him. I also think it's likely he doesn't make the team. Then again, it's the right time of year to add some rocket fuel and see if he takes off....

Competition at all positions is good for the team.

A lot of Corey Mac's contribution to the team has been blocking. This shouldn't be overlooked simply because there isn't a stat on it. He's proven himself a strong, capable blocker. Bam, Sonned. The problem is, when he's in, he's pretty much in to block.

That to me is a real problem. Granted,Corey is a pretty good blocker but it's also been pretty obvious if he is in there it is to block.That takes away any element of surprise. Why not just use an extra OL in the backfield for short yardage then?

It's all about mismatches and misdirection.

With Corey in, the defense knows it's a run.

With Dorin in, it keeps a defense more honest as it could still be a pass play.

Dorin has the potential to make the D have to cover him. Corey doesn't.

It's all about mismatches and misdirection.

With Corey in, the defense knows it's a run.

With Dorin in, it keeps a defense more honest as it could still be a pass play.

Dorin has the potential to make the D have to cover him. Corey doesn't.

I would generally agree with the premise of many here but we have proven the ability to get yards even when the D knows its a run. Mac doesn't just block on run plays.

I would generally agree with the premise of many here but we have proven the ability to get yards even when the D knows its a run. Mac doesn't just block on run plays.

Agreed he is a good guy and ST player and is sometimes used as a decoy????, but 139 total yards in an 8 year career is far from deceptive or productive. I question whether that justifies a 2012 roster spot if Dickerson shows anything in camp.

His stats speak for themselves.

No D worries about Mac doing anything other than blocking when he's in.

Even if it's a pass play, and Mac doesn't block, the D doesn't care.

We'll see if Dorin is any good. But having a more versatile threat in that position can only be a good thing.

i think a lot of people have quickly written off the value of a good blocker, and special teams ace as his yardage shows up on other guys stat sheets instead of his own.

could not have said it better myself. it is like putting Moormans stats in the offensive catagory, although...on the other hand... some times his stats were offensive.

We'll see if Dorin is any good. But having a more versatile threat in that position can only be a good thing.

We need to be a team that can rely on the run, and one of the best ways to keep your backs healthy is give them a wedge to run behind. If FJ is a train then Mac is his cattle guard.

I for one don't want us to drop Corey, maybe Dickerson can have a TE roster spot, ot take Johnny White's. It would not surprise me if Chan lets Cmac go though as it seems he doesn't use him for anything but blocking. I would line him up next (but closer to the line) to Brad Smith and hike to him on some WC plays if nothing else. If he goes, I thank him for being a true blue collar trouper and ST ace, he has been a good piece on a bad team for a pretty long time. I always wished they would get him some touches though.

I for one don't want us to drop Corey, maybe Dickerson can have a TE roster spot, ot take Johnny White's. It would not surprise me if Chan lets Cmac go though as it seems he doesn't use him for anything but blocking. I would line him up next (but closer to the line) to Brad Smith and hike to him on some WC plays if nothing else. If he goes, I thank him for being a true blue collar trouper and ST ace, he has been a good piece on a bad team for a pretty long time. I always wished they would get him some touches though.

I don't think he is competing against CM, rather he is fighting for the 3rd TE spot.

I respectfully disagree.

I seem to recall that they have proven they could NOT run when defenses knew it was coming. The high YPC of the RBs was due to running out of 3 and 4 wide sets, when the defense couldn't stack the box. Ever wonder why Fitz was so quick to audible to throw on those 3rd and shorts? Because he had single coverage from the defense and was more confident in his arm and the likes of Donald Jones to beat his man than Fred "MVP" Jackson to get a yard or two behind the questionable O line - even when they were healthy.

Also, for those saying that McIntyre's value is being a good blocker, he was hardly on the field. No more than 4-5 offensive plays per game, I'd guess. If he is such a great blocker, wouldn't it make sense to use him more than a handful of plays? Even if just to run behind?

I like McIntyre, but I think the writing is on the wall. He seems to be an average run blocker and above average special teams guy, but not an offensive threat. Dickerson or Onobun could take his place as a more versatile threat in the backfield, and a number of recent additions to the team are alleged to be impact special teamers.

Something I've noticed about championship teams is they don't fall in love with their players, even their great ones. Corey only had like 10 ST tackles all last year and was very rarely in the lineup blocking for any big runs.Most of our 3rd, 4th dwn short yardage runs were from the WC. The bills are one of only a few teams that still carry a true FB on the roster anymore.

The D might not worry, but the Special Teams sure as hell worries when Corey is on the field. He packs a big punch.

I don't know either way, but, Cory is like an o-lineman who plays out of the back field.

Didn't he blow up wilfork on a goal line TD last year?

Yes. And it was amazing. Stopped Vince dead in his tracks. Wilfork never saw it coming, Bills TD.