Patriots Release Ochocinco

Wall, meet Chad. Chad meet wall. Absolutely not. Say bye bye Chad to the NFL. With his antics I have no patience nor sympathy for him. Now go out in the real world and see if you can use those skills in corporate America.

What a maroon.

Maybe you don't live in America anymore, being self-centered and exaggerated

Self-promotion gets you pretty far in corporate America today. This skills will serve him well.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what some of you want to bring to Buffalo...as I said in my post on page 3 about Palmer, you guys (and gals) realize that running around trying to get open like we did when we were 7 does not translate to a successful offense in the NFL correct?

Multiple sources tell the Boston Globe that Chad Ochocinco just didn't have the "football I.Q." to succeed with the Patriots.

"The Patriots would literally tell him to run a route a certain way, and a minute later he would run it the other way," wrote the Globe's Greg Bedard. "It happened all the time." During recent OTAs, he also struggled to recognize zone versus man coverage. Even if it irked Carson Palmer, Ochocinco often got away with freelancing as opposed to running the correct route in Cincinnati. That was never going to work in the Patriots' precision timing offense, which relies on receivers to make pre-snap reads and run exactly where Tom Brady expects them to run.

Edited by Booger

the most surprising part is that the pats didn't somehow get a first round pick for him.

Good point. Brady had to throw to him a few more times to pull that off, though.

<...> I think he was in the wrong offense which is very Brady-centric in its execution. Timing, being on the same page as TB. That is not Ocho's strong suit. He needs to have a simplified offense where he can just run his routers and out-duel the defender for the ball. <....> Bring him in and see if he at least has the will to win.

Why do you feel that timing and being on the same page as Fitz are not important to the execution of the Bills offense? Why would it benefit us to simplify our offense for a guy who can "just run his routes" as opposed to running the play as called and being where the QB expects him to be?

My perception is that timing and "same page" with receivers who read the D pre-snap and run the route Fitz expects, are critical to the Bills "quick release" offense. Some of Fitz "wtf?" throws the 2nd half of the season were very likely a young receiver who didn't do what Fitz expected given the coverage they got. I don't think our offense is that simple. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think the reason they gave up on Hardy was that he wouldn't run the routes as they wanted him to. Buh-Bye!

Lastly, how do you really tell from OTAs and training camp if a player has "the will to win"? I think that doesn't really show itself until after the regular season starts, when the hitting gets harder, the game gets faster, and the #2s don't make the field on a regular basis.

Edited by Hopeful

So now that you found that reference, do you have anything to say about it?

Any time an aging, has-been player hits the open market, a gaggle of geese start honking about how the Bills should bring him in because "I've heard of him" and "we can get him on the cheap." It's like clockwork. When the Bills invariably do NOT sign said player, the same gaggle respond with "Ralph is cheap."

Edited by eball

I'd take him in a second. He's got straight line power. and lateral jumpability. Not to mention his hands are huge, which he means he never drops.

Most importantly though, he is an awesome tweeter. He gives away so much free stuff/dinner. it's totes worth it.

Trust me,

Any time an aging, has-been player hits the open market, a gaggle of geese start honking about how the Bills should bring him in because "I've heard of him" and "we can get him on the cheap." It's like clockwork. When the Bills invariably do NOT sign said player, the same gaggle respond with "Ralph is cheap."

I know what you are talking about. However,my post history (which I don't expect you to remember ofcourse) will tell you I am not that poster. And I offfered enough logic about why I think he should be considered. Just because there is a.plethora of washed up ex-talent in the market should not lead us to assume Ocho is one of them. It will be a disservice for the FO to not even consider him (not saying they are not)

Thats all I have to say on the subject

I know what you are talking about. However,my post history (which I don't expect you to remember ofcourse) will tell you I am not that poster. And I offfered enough logic about why I think he should be considered. Just because there is a.plethora of washed up ex-talent in the market should not lead us to assume Ocho is one of them. It will be a disservice for the FO to not even consider him (not saying they are not)

Thats all I have to say on the subject

I hear ya. I just don't think Ocho has anything particularly impressive to bring to the Bills' table at this point in his career, and I hope they don't go this route. I'm much more interested in seeing who emerges out of Jones, Easley, Graham, Hagan, and Aiken.

@AdamSchefter: Five logical landing spots for WR @ochocinco: Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore, Houston, Dallas. But nothing imminent.

I would think Indy would be first on that list. Who do they have at WR? And, who cares if he messes with a rookie QB? The rookie is supposedly physically awesome, intangibly :lol: awesome too, so why would 85 be able to mess with his head? Meanwhile, Indy could use something to help them, as most people have them being a cellar dweller. Do they have cap problems? Even so, after the trade being passed on by everybody, they could sign 85 for league minimum.

That Schefter would put us on this list...goes to the fact that most of the media doesn't really understand what is going on in Buffalo. And, I'd be just fine with keeping it that way.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

FWIW, Vic Carucci was just discussing this topic on SiriusXM and concluded exactly what I said earlier -- namely, the fact Ocho couldn't make himself productive with Brady as his QB shows his head is just not in the game. NeIther he nor his broadcast partner think the guy is worth signing. Vic specifically mentioned Buffalo after a caller asked about fit with the Bills, and said disrupting the chemistry they're building is just not worth it.

I don't see anything wrong with giving him a CHANCE at a roster spot. But at the same time, I'm not asking that it happens. I'll take whatever makes the Bills better. If he helps, awesome. If he wouldn't, keep him away. Don't care about him other than that.

1339239901[/url]' post='2483502']

You forgot "what have we got to lose?"

Why would you ever throw out wide when you have Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker working between the hash marks? Brady plays Captain Checkdown ball, and you can when you have that corp. If Jerry Rice were playing WIDE Receiver in that offense today he wouldn't do much either.

That being said. Do you really want Ocho Cinco rubbing shoulders with TJ Graham or Stevie Johnson? Let me first restate Chad "OchoCinco" Johnson is not a thug, he has done nothing wrong, he is simply a publicity whore.

I wouldn't hate the idea of signing him. I wouldn't love it though.

WR#2 is a weakpoint and I don't know if there is one starter in the whole mix of "The Legend of" Marcus Easley, TJ Whathisname, David "Hands of Stone" Jones, Derek "I'm not Mario" Hagan, Naaman "Homer" Rossevelt or Kamar "Practice Squad" Aiken, adding Chad Eight Five only adds one more question mark.

I'd rather see what we have on the roster through extra reps than bring a player with the "arrow pointing down."

Captain Checkdown???? maybe you missed the Randy Moss Era. Rice played with Dwight Clark, roger Craig, Joe Cribbs, Tom Rathman, John Taylor, yeah you right that offense had no other options for montana :beer::doh:

When he was old and went to the Raiders he was still very productive and actually went to another Super Bowl.

Dont ever compare Chad to Jerry....

Please no role models for the younger players on how to be a self-centered douchebag.

Not only has Chad Ochocinco skills really gone down a cliff but we don't need him messing with the chemistry of the team. Yes we could use a vet WR but we need a good one, and if we were going to take a chance on a guy why take a chance on a guy who does everything we don't want Stevie to be doing?

I don't want to mess with Stevie's progress just to take a flyer on an over the hill player.

Not only has Chad Ochocinco skills really gone down a cliff but we don't need him messing with the chemistry of the team. Yes we could use a vet WR but we need a good one, and if we were going to take a chance on a guy why take a chance on a guy who does everything we don't want Stevie to be doing?

I don't want to mess with Stevie's progress just to take a flyer on an over the hill player.

By all accounts he was well liked in the Pats locker room, soldiered along when he didn't get the ball or get playing time, and took crap like Bruschi's in good part.

The real question is can he do, on the football field, everything we do want a #2 WR to be doing? The Bills offense is simpler than NE, however, it still, as I understand it, relies on the receiver to understand which of several play variants is called for and select between several options for each play depending on a pre-snap read. (I base this on comments from several Bills WR during post-game interviews last fall) It's pretty clear to me that Fitz relies on the WR to be on the same page, and at least some of his "WTF?" throws appear to be the receiver being in a different place than he expected. Chan also commented after a later-season loss playing 3rd string WR "we need to get the WR to be where Fitz expects them to be".

This article points out that Ochocinco has never been asked to run option routes:

"One of the reasons Chad Ochocinco simply didn't become a factor in New England, according to several sources, is that he could never stick and stay with the complexities of the option route concept. Not that Chad's unintelligent by any means, but he wasn't asked to do such things at any level of football -- not at Santa Monica (Community) College, not at Oregon State, and not with the Cincinnati Bengals. With the Bengals, the oeuvre of the game plan went a little more like this: "Let Chad beat his double-cover with pure speed and Gumby-like flexibility." "

"What the Patriots didn't realize watching Ochocinco on film while with the Bengals was, according to several league sources, he ran the routes he wanted to there and it drove quarterback Carson Palmer nuts -- especially later in his Bengals career. But Palmer was smart enough to realize that no matter where Ochocinco was running, he was probably going to get open because his feet are that good down the field. And after so many reps together, Palmer had a good feel for where Ochocinco would end up. Brady didn't have those reps, and he wasn't going to put his offense on hold until it happened."

So...if we're trying to build an offense here where 4-5 WR spread the field and run slightly different route options depending on the pre-snap read, where the QB and WR are on the same page, Ochocinco is not a guy we want to look at - not because he would teach SJ bad habits or be a bad teammate, but simply because pre-snap reads and route options have never been his thing and aren't going to start being his thing at this point in his career. That means we shouldn't waste our time with giving him a try-out, because you don't expect a guy to learn your offense during a try-out - you have to base your evaluation on his prior track record for learning. And for Ochocinco, that prior record is off the tracks.

Edited by Hopeful

If giving a guy a tryout "messes with your team chemistry" you don't have a team in the first place.

You're just not getting it. What exactly would Buffalo learn during a tryout? That Chad can still catch the ball? It's meaningless.

Gotta love TSW on a monday morning.... some team parts with dead weight, and the "sign him now" patrol is in full swing... and I've only had one sip of my coffee... so entertaining.

Yeah... let's not develop our young talent, and give a washed up big mouth team corrupter a roster spot... oops here I go thinking rationally again...

I mean... F-Yeah!!! Championship!

I don't see anything wrong with giving him a CHANCE at a roster spot. But at the same time, I'm not asking that it happens. I'll take whatever makes the Bills better. If he helps, awesome. If he wouldn't, keep him away. Don't care about him other than that.

Here is what is wrong with it...Bringing Ocho in wastes precious camp time. You are taking away time from players who have a real chance at being productive for a clown show.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot