Kelsay, Johnson, or Edwards, who gets cut?

TPS

There is certainly room on the roster for the TEN DLs that I have listed above............especially since we will be lacking in depth at the LB position unless the Bills choose to sign a veteran LB or two. But as it stands right now, I expect the Bills to keep ten DLs.

I think Troup will make the team over Heard because:

1. He's a better player.

2. He can be the kind of DT that Wanny is looking for. Heard is a space-eater.

It would be a tough choice, but I would go with Troup over Heard.

i think that Edwards/Sp. Johnson/Kelsay all make the final roster.

The Bills don't need a fifth pass rusher like K. Moore when they can keep Carrington and Sp. Johnson who can play both DT and DE.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1338921861[/url]' post='2481035']

Johnson and Edwards will be cut. Carrington will be a swing DT/DE. Kelsay is a serviceable 4-3 DE. I am hopeful Troup is the surpise performer at camp and solidifies the three man DT rotation.

Care to place a wager on that statement? I'll be one of the two makes the team this season. At this point, I think they both make the team.

There is certainly room on the roster for the TEN DLs that I have listed above............especially since we will be lacking in depth at the LB position unless the Bills choose to sign a veteran LB or two. But as it stands right now, I expect the Bills to keep ten DLs.

I think Troup will make the team over Heard because:

1. He's a better player.

2. He can be the kind of DT that Wanny is looking for. Heard is a space-eater.

It would be a tough choice, but I would go with Troup over Heard.

i think that Edwards/Sp. Johnson/Kelsay all make the final roster.

The Bills don't need a fifth pass rusher like K. Moore when they can keep Carrington and Sp. Johnson who can play both DT and DE.

Wouldnt be a huge surprise if they kept 10, but personally only expect them to keep 9. They put allot of value on special teams, and special teams coach gets allot of say in last 4-6 roster spots.

Care to place a wager on that statement? I'll be one of the two makes the team this season. At this point, I think they both make the team.

Edwards is a 3-4 DE with limited pass rush ability. Spencer Johnson is a good swing DT/DE. My hunch is they go with youth and keep Troup/Carrington instead of Johnson. Do I think either are really any better than Johnson? No not really but theyare younger and will be hungry for their next contract. Would I put money on it? No because Troup has back issues and if they insist on playing Carrington at DT he will fail. He was a very good pass rushing DE (in a small college conference) and that is where he should be - not in the trenches.

Wouldnt be a huge surprise if they kept 10, but personally only expect them to keep 9. They put allot of value on special teams, and special teams coach gets allot of say in last 4-6 roster spots.

Agree on the special teams comment. Whether you call Merriman a DE or an OLB he still will not play special teams.

Why are these three our only options. I don't see any getting cut. Nix said "it takes a village to stop the run." Well, we finally have a good looking tribe. As much as we run nickel, and dime, I say drop a linebacker. Having a lot of them dosent make them good. Keep the quality guys.

As I said, I think it's age and money. If one of them is only marginally better than someone like Carrington, I think they go with youth and the cheaper salary.

Not seeing much love for Kellen Heard who played pretty well last season. He may make both Johnson and Edwards expendable.

GO BILLS!!!

I totally agree. Kellen Heard is a force man. I know he was undrafted and we signed him off the Raiders practice squad, but he seemed really fast for a 6'6' 360 pounder out there, not just a space eating 3-4 guy. He picked up 20 tackles and few sacks even.

I think they will find a way to get him on the field unless he shows up at camp out of shape and they don't want to bother developing him.

Williams, Williams, Dareus, Anderson

Merriman, Johnson, Edwards, Kelsay

People on the bubble of being cut: Troup, Carrington, Heard (I like Heard, I just think Edwards and Johnson are more versatile for the 4-3)

Keep your best players, unless you are well over the cap. Which we aren't.

Edited by Dorkington

He who is cut, is not listed below.

Kelsay Anderson Merriman

Williams Edwards

Darius, Troup

Williams, Carrington

Barnett, Sheppard, Brandham, Carder, Morrison, Moats

MaGee, Williams, McKelvin, Rogers, Brooks, Gilmore

Byrd, Wilson, Scott, Searcy

Lindell , Potter

Moorman

Sanborn

Fitzpatrick, Young, Smith

Jackson, Spiller, White

McIntyer

Johnson, Graham, Jones, Nelson, Easley, Martin

Chandler, Smith

Wood, Rinehart, Urbik, Levitre, Glenn, Hairston, Pears, Williams, Young

We may be lacking in veteran depth at LB, and that is all the more reason why they need to save roster spots for LB because they don't know yet who will step up and look good in the new system. In addition to the two draftee rookies, they may want to hang on to McKillop (for his ST play and his Wannstache connection), White (again, good ST play), and Moats - that would be 8 LBs on the roster.

I can't find the link right now but I read a Wannstache quote something about "when it's all said and done we will be ALMOST 2 deep across the line" (emphasis on the "almost" mine). I think the most straightforward interpretation is they are planning to keep 7 or 8 DL. They may try to stash a promising young player or 2 on the PS. I don't see how they can keep 10 DL, though, and have room for the developing LB and the DBs they need to keep to run the nickle and dime, with some depth.

Expect the backup DL to have versitility (can either play DT or DE or can line up at DE or OLB) and/or stand out on ST.

He who is cut, is not listed below.

Kelsay Anderson Merriman

Williams Edwards

Darius, Troup

Williams, Carrington

Barnett, Sheppard, Brandham, Carder, Morrison, Moats

MaGee, Williams, McKelvin, Rogers, Brooks, Gilmore

Byrd, Wilson, Scott, Searcy

Lindell , Potter

Moorman

Sanborn

Fitzpatrick, Young, Smith

Jackson, Spiller, White

McIntyer

Johnson, Graham, Jones, Nelson, Easley, Martin

Chandler, Smith

Wood, Rinehart, Urbik, Levitre, Glenn, Hairston, Pears, Williams, Young

Not bad. I think the D-line cut will come down to one of Edwards/Johnson/Troup, only because of Troup's injury history.

For the rest of the roster:

1. In the end, I doubt they go with the specialty kicker, because they'd have to cut a good player.

2. I don't know much about Williams who is listed as G, but if he can't also play center, Brown's experience could keep him instead.

3. Choice will probably beat out White at RB.

4. We'll see if Moorman can beat out the young kid?

5. This Dorin Dickerson is intriguing as an Hback/FB. Doubt he will supplant Mac, but it's possible they keep 3 TEs.

6. I expect Hagan to stick around at WR, but who goes? Martin has the edge on ST.

7. There will be a good battle between Carder and McKillop for a roster spot, and I think Mckillop has the edge in experience and former Pitt player.

Unfortunately, I'm sure injuries will sort some of this out.

1338935214[/url]' post='2481210']

Edwards is a 3-4 DE with limited pass rush ability. Spencer Johnson is a good swing DT/DE. My hunch is they go with youth and keep Troup/Carrington instead of Johnson. Do I think either are really any better than Johnson? No not really but theyare younger and will be hungry for their next contract. Would I put money on it? No because Troup has back issues and if they insist on playing Carrington at DT he will fail. He was a very good pass rushing DE (in a small college conference) and that is where he should be - not in the trenches.

I think carrington is being played inside because he would be the 5th best DE behind Mario, Anderson, Merriman and Kelsey. Not much playing time for him at DE. Inside, the only thing we know is marcel and Kyle are entrenched as starters. Beyond that, it's a good competition for PT. He plays right around 290-300, a weight more appropriate for a 4-3 DT than a 4-3 DE (he's not Mario). Wannstedt wants his DTs to penetrate, not eat up blockers. Carrington fits this mold IMO. Not saying carrington cannot play, or wouldn't be effective playing DE, but he can help THIS team right now more as a DT. Maybe that changes if Merriman and Kelsey are gone next year, but right now, that's the sitch.

Regarding Edwards being a 3-4 DE, thats what he's always been, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective in a rotation at DT. He's been given the chance to prove he can play the position. If he excels, he will stick IMO. If he fails, he's gone. Johnson is a solid backup. It would be stupid to get rid of him.

Not bad. I think the D-line cut will come down to one of Edwards/Johnson/Troup, only because of Troup's injury history.

1. In the end, I doubt they go with the specialty kicker, because they'd have to cut a good player.

2. I don't know much about Williams who is listed as G, but if he can't also play center, Brown's experience could keep him instead.

5. This Dorin Dickerson is intriguing as an Hback/FB. Doubt he will supplant Mac, but it's possible they keep 3 TEs.

6. I expect Hagan to stick around at WR, but who goes? Martin has the edge on ST.

7. There will be a good battle between Carder and McKillop for a roster spot, and I think Mckillop has the edge in experience and former Pitt player.

Nice.

1. I agree with the Specialty kicker. But if the guy really shines... But to be fair, I think he's got a better shot of making the 53 than most 3rd-to-last-pick-taken-in-the-7th-round.

2. We also have Jasper who may still be able to be polished. His lack of versatility hurts him though. Maybe another year on PS.

3. yep

4. The kid has a real chance.

5. Only if he's worth it. I've been hoping we only keep 2 TE to let us keep a better player elsewhere.

6. Hagen played well at the end. Ruvell tries hard but can't catch a cold. Not sure ST will keep him.

7. Both have potential. Mck has the edge in what you said, but he's also got an injury history that probably cancels it out.

The bottom line is as you said: Injuries will likely determine some of the final spots.

I thought a lot about Dickerson as third TE/HBack, I would keep him over specialty kicker, but who knows what FO is thinking.

For me, Dwan is the odd man out. I think Spencer has more of the speed that Wanny is looking for. Last, Kelsay playing with his hand on the ground as he did late last season is a different player than trying to play OLB.