June Movies: Prometheus, Brave, Madagascar 3, and.....

Your welcome aj.

I've never cared for Adam Sandler's movies, just could not take his humor for a feature length film. Andy Samberg's presence could end up helping "That's My Boy", since Sandler is not being relied on to carry the film by himself.

And that movie has exactly what so many people have come to hate about Sandler. He's doing one of those stupid voices.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Prometheus this afternoon and that movie is terrific, excellent and intense. I absolutely loved it, even more than Avengers. Problem is I cannot review it without spoilers. So, I highly encourage all sci-fi and/or Alien fans to check it out. Sure there are some plot holes but Scott bought my suspension of disbelief so completely that they were quite insignificant to the entire experience. Good cast, acting, plot.

Saw Prometheus this afternoon and that movie is terrific, excellent and intense. I absolutely loved it, even more than Avengers. Problem is I cannot review it without spoilers. So, I highly encourage all sci-fi and/or Alien fans to check it out. Sure there are some plot holes but Scott bought my suspension of disbelief so completely that they were quite insignificant to the entire experience. Good cast, acting, plot.

I saw it and thought it was okay. I couldn't get past the plot holes.

That movie is 20th Century Fox's sci-fi/thriller "Prometheus", the first sci-fi film that director Ridley Scott has helmed since 1982's "Blade Runner". A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe.

Ridley Scott made a movie about PPP?

I saw it and thought it was okay. I couldn't get past the plot holes.

Loved it visually but the script holes were a disappointment for me as well. My son said "it was like an episode of Lost," not even knowing that Lindelof was a co-writter...

Saw it tonight and enjoyed it. Great pace and a good sci-fi.

Michael Fassbender is quickly becoming a premiere actor. Good job by Noomi Rapace too.

Saw it tonight and enjoyed it. Great pace and a good sci-fi.

Michael Fassbender is quickly becoming a premiere actor. Good job by Noomi Rapace too.

He's a very good actor, I agree. Saw him recently in Shame and A Dangerous Method...he was excellent in both and I felt both films were quite strong.

He's a very good actor, I agree. Saw him recently in Shame and A Dangerous Method...he was excellent in both and I felt both films were quite strong.

I did see "A Dangerous Method" and I agree he was very good in that too. Still not sure if I want to check out "Shame".

I did see "A Dangerous Method" and I agree he was very good in that too. Still not sure if I want to check out "Shame".

I am a big Cronenberg fan but found "Dangerous Method" quite disappointing. Hopefully he redeems himself with Cosmopolis

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Ya just saw prometheus and it doesn't deserve the hate it gets from some and IMO many of the "plot holes" are not even plot holes. Prometheus is good. Stunning 3d visuals IMO also

Edited by TheNewBills

Just saw, only see a handful of movies at theatre every year, but I was a big fan of the 1st alien and also the Greek character/play this was named after, so I had to see it. it's good not great. Best part was the opening, an entire movie so visually compelling and natural, yet creepy and with scientific references (DNA Strand) would have been great. It was a downer when they went back into Hollywood formula mode after that. My biggest problem character/cast wise was Charlize Theron. The role/her acting was so rigid and artificial it diluted the films overal credibility. Yes shes gorgeous, but having her parade around as ships captain like a model on a runway complete with intense look was silly. Putting that aside, most of the other main characters were reasonably well played. It's obviously hollywoods attempt to capitalize on the popularity of history channels "ancient aliens" and having Scott as director makes it AA meets aliens. I think they did a respectful job integrating the two themes. I am however suspicious that they've setup a series of progressively worse and endless sequels because they tease the audience by raising questions they don't answer. Expect that formula to continue. Didn't spot any insurmountable plot holes, but there was an inconsistency with the ancient earth texts pointing to the planet they're from, only to find out later theyre not actually from there. Lol ok

Just saw, only see a handful of movies at theatre every year, but I was a big fan of the 1st alien and also the Greek character/play this was named after, so I had to see it. it's good not great. Best part was the opening, an entire movie so visually compelling and natural, yet creepy and with scientific references (DNA Strand) would have been great. It was a downer when they went back into Hollywood formula mode after that. My biggest problem character/cast wise was Charlize Theron. The role/her acting was so rigid and artificial it diluted the films overal credibility. Yes shes gorgeous, but having her parade around as ships captain like a model on a runway complete with intense look was silly. Putting that aside, most of the other main characters were reasonably well played. It's obviously hollywoods attempt to capitalize on the popularity of history channels "ancient aliens" and having Scott as director makes it AA meets aliens. I think they did a respectful job integrating the two themes. I am however suspicious that they've setup a series of progressively worse and endless sequels because they tease the audience by raising questions they don't answer. Expect that formula to continue. Didn't spot any insurmountable plot holes, but there was an inconsistency with the ancient earth texts pointing to the planet they're from, only to find out later theyre not actually from there. Lol ok

Not necessarily an inconsistency.

SPOILER MATERIAL yellow-fonted. Highlight to read.

The Promethean beings told the humans they contacted that this was where they were from, and ostensibly provided the graphic placement of the stars... since those humans sure didn't have the technology to see them. Then, when Earth's people were advanced enough, and curious enough to gamble going there.... When it drank that stuff, it was committing suicide; if the opening is Earth and the creation moment/injection of DNA, was the "Prometheus" a criminal/undesirable of some sort? Was it being hunted by its own kind, determined to wipe out all existence of it and its progeny? But if that were the case, why wouldn't the visitors just annihilate early man with their ooze? (Then again... what that stuff did was create a totally disgusting other being.) Which pretty much brings me to the idea that it was an experiment by the Promethean beings, at the end of which the task was to exterminate the subjects.

I don't have a problem with Charlize Theron or the character. She's a control freak of the first order, following the whims of her father. She'd stop it if she could, but for all her control freakiness, as the story goes for those types of people, the core of the psychology is she really has very little power. You'll remember that she uses the analogy of a king dying and leaving the kingdom to his children. She was the princess who was always kept from becoming queen. Note that the ship captain asked her whether she was a robot (like David). Have to tell ya, I watched it through, up until that separate pod conversation with her father, with that in mind. That little bit of David wearing a spacesuit to keep up appearances really had me thinking that the special surgery thing was to cover that she was a robot too.

Having never seen the Alien series, only the vague images I've happened to see over the years, I have to say that this stood up fairly well on its own. I guess I'll be checking out Ellen Ripley soon enough.

*spoilers*

Honestly that's an "unexplained thing" not a plot hole and it is known there will be a sequel. Plot holes are things like the Engineer at the end being able to apparently come get her at the end and breath in the atmosphere when we are led to believe he shouldn't be and so on...in other words ticky tack things. Most plot holes go w/ the "it's a fiction about space aliens" explanation for stuff like that etc...reasons to dislike the move are there and I don't think the hate is unfounded but if you show up ready to watch a visually compelling movie as a basic movie watcher you are right....it's good. Better than most. If you show up like a super nerd ready to pick it apart and validate every tiny thing from a 30 year old "alien" movie you will leave disappointed. It was "good but not great." And by good I think most people agree better than most movies that come out and worth seeing in the theater with the stunning 3d

It's a huge "world building" (as the new term seem to be in reviews) movie and it was pretty damn good as a man who doesn't see many movies in theater it is worth the money (15 a ticket for 3d where I went). To me if you are the type of person to see this movie with expectations of liking it (scifi fan)...there is no reason not to love it unless you are a super nerd who expects movies to be perfect and everything message board warriors write over 30 years...and lets face it if those people got what they want the movie would suck.

Edited by TheNewBills

Not necessarily an inconsistency.

SPOILER MATERIAL yellow-fonted. Highlight to read.

The Promethean beings told the humans they contacted that this was where they were from, and ostensibly provided the graphic placement of the stars... since those humans sure didn't have the technology to see them. Then, when Earth's people were advanced enough, and curious enough to gamble going there.... When it drank that stuff, it was committing suicide; if the opening is Earth and the creation moment/injection of DNA, was the "Prometheus" a criminal/undesirable of some sort? Was it being hunted by its own kind, determined to wipe out all existence of it and its progeny? But if that were the case, why wouldn't the visitors just annihilate early man with their ooze? (Then again... what that stuff did was create a totally disgusting other being.) Which pretty much brings me to the idea that it was an experiment by the Promethean beings, at the end of which the task was to exterminate the subjects.

enough.

There have been some interviews that go this. The jist is Q: "was that earth" and A:"doesn't matter"...it doesn't matter if it was earth and it probably wasn't. Just show how they do it...implying they do it all over and often. Also same place you find the interview you find extra scenes from it that will be on dvd and see he's basically molded after the Mayans...they would live like a king for a year then off w/ the head as a sacrifice to the gods. The extended shots show other Engineers around him in cloaks supporting him before he does it. He knew what he was doing and he probably wasn't on earth the point was that's what they do. They create...they are engineers.

IMO that first seen is not earth, but meant to imply that happened on earth at some point in time. We are their creations AND there are other creations (including aliens.)

Then there's a whole question beyond that of "what do they know, what are they, how involved into ALL creation are they, and why kill us now" all for sequel.

Nice review, Jay. You did a great job of neither increasing my interest in seeing the film, nor detracting from it. :D

:P Thanks zepp. But seriously, it's one of those movies that you'll enjoy a lot more if you don't believe a lot of the hype. For a much more thoughtful space movie, check out Moon.

Loved Moon :thumbsup: