June Movies: Prometheus, Brave, Madagascar 3, and.....

I can't even tell you how disappointed I am to hear that, especially given that Ridley Scott is involved. There are an awful lot of people who seem to echo your comments, so I think I may take that advice and wait to watch it on Vudu or bluray in a few months.

I don't have to ask about M.Fassbender, cause he gives a great performance in every role, but how did Charlize do? Seems like the few clips I've seen of her she seems to be overacting a little. Was she the right choice for the female lead?

She's fine. It's the enigmatic ice queen role that is firmly in her wheelhouse. She's not the female lead though, Noomi Rapace is. Who is pretty good. Honestly if the Charlize Theron role (Vickers) was not even in the movie you wouldn't miss it. She's advertised as a villian, or at least an antagonist, but she ends up being just another meaningless distraction. Actually she is kind of a giant plot hole herself. Fassbender was probably the highlight of the film outside of the photography/effects.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's fine. It's the enigmatic ice queen role that is firmly in her wheelhouse. She's not the female lead though, Noomi Rapace is. Who is pretty good. Honestly if the Charlize Theron role (Vickers) was not even in the movie you wouldn't miss it. She's advertised as a villian, or at least an antagonist, but she ends up being just another meaningless distraction. Actually she is kind of a giant plot hole herself. Fassbender was probably the highlight of the film outside of the photography/effects.

Oh okay, I figured she'd have a more prominent role. Fassbender is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I have yet to see anything he's done where he wasn't excellent. Just recently, he was great in A Dangerous Method, Shame, and the most recent X-Men film.

So that's two movies that I was likely going to see at the theater...Prometheus and Rock of Ages...but I'll probably just wait for Batman before I hit the big screen again. Going to see that one opening night or the following day.

SPOILER ALERT

I agree with your plot holes, Astro. One of my first problems was all those scientists agreeing to be frozen for 2 years and travel millions of miles away, without any idea why. Did they just answer a posting on Peterslist? I understand why they did it like that, but it still didn't sit right with me.

I also don't know how this fits-in with "Alien," since this is supposed to pre-date that movie.

As for the Engineer who dies in the beginning, I don't know how that will be explained. I assume he's the progenitor of humans, but there is an evolutionary history that got us to our present form, and the Engineers were theoretically perfect. Why the de-evolution?

As for Vickers and David, they're brother and sister of sorts. David is an android created by Peter Weyland and Vickers was his human daughter. No doubt David is everything Weyland wanted Vickers to be, and the source of the conflict.

Personally, I would have gone with the mad scientist laboratory gone wrong. The Engineers were creating all sorts of life and depositing it on various planets, checking on it and leaving clues where to find them in the pictograms, when they were advanced enough. But along the way, they created the aliens, who were too much for them, and they wiped the Engineers out. And when the crew of the Prometheus found the planet, wiped them out as well, along with the other creations. Doesn't leave room for a sequel, though.

It's less a pre-quel than it exists in the same universe, I think....like when Thor shows up in an Iron Man movie. In Alien the crew discovers an engineer with a hole in his chest, presumably where a xenomorph (that's the name of the aliens in those movies) was birthed. Also the name of the company that owned the prometheus is the same as the company that owned the ships/everything in the other movies. Finally there was a mural of a xenomorph in the new film. I assume the engineers worshipped them to some degree based on how it was positioned in the mural. Could be wrong on the worship angle since it was one of the many many things that ended up being dropped instead of fleshed out.

You get a sense of David being "the good son" but once the context of their relationship is revealed they don't get another scene or even reference one another. Was David created in response to Vickers? Is he meant to take over the corporation? Is he there to cross the lines Vickers can't for moral reasons? Does that explain the poisoning? So many questions.

It's less a pre-quel than it exists in the same universe, I think....like when Thor shows up in an Iron Man movie. In Alien the crew discovers an engineer with a hole in his chest, presumably where a xenomorph (that's the name of the aliens in those movies) was birthed. Also the name of the company that owned the prometheus is the same as the company that owned the ships/everything in the other movies. Finally there was a mural of a xenomorph in the new film. I assume the engineers worshipped them to some degree based on how it was positioned in the mural. Could be wrong on the worship angle since it was one of the many many things that ended up being dropped instead of fleshed out.

You get a sense of David being "the good son" but once the context of their relationship is revealed they don't get another scene or even reference one another. Was David created in response to Vickers? Is he meant to take over the corporation? Is he there to cross the lines Vickers can't for moral reasons? Does that explain the poisoning? So many questions.

I missed the xenomorph mural. How did that happen? I guess it's possible they worshipped them. But why? Who created whom? I guess we'll find out about that later. Can't explain the David/Vickers stuff, but as you said, Vickers might as well not even have been in the movie.

I went to see the movie on opening night with my bro. My wife wanted to see it, but after I said it was disappointing, she said she'd wait for DVD or cable. However I think we'll go to a matinee to see it together.

Edited by Doc

Oh okay, I figured she'd have a more prominent role. Fassbender is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I have yet to see anything he's done where he wasn't excellent. Just recently, he was great in A Dangerous Method, Shame, and the most recent X-Men film.

So that's two movies that I was likely going to see at the theater...Prometheus and Rock of Ages...but I'll probably just wait for Batman before I hit the big screen again. Going to see that one opening night or the following day.

Wow, the emotional level that "Prometheus" has hit on this board has been most interesting.

aj, I recommend that you see this movie in the theatre. It is a movie that deserves to be seen on the silver screen. The cinematography is very good. If you need to save money then go to a matinee.

I think some of the posters on this board are overreacting, but that just shows they are passionate about this.

Personally I have never been a big fan of the Alien series, so I lack the passion of others. "Alien" is a brilliant film, as we all know, and "Aliens" is a big fun ride, but I found "Alien 3" to be tedious and not very exciting, and "Alien Resurrection" is just a mess.

In the end, I did enjoy "Prometheus". It is by no means a perfect film, and there are moments that are typical and predictable. Michael Fassbender is outstanding, and Noomi Rapace is very good too. Charlize Theron is more understated, but she has the talent to make it work. There is also a nice turn by Guy Pearce.

So I say see it in the theatre and try not to over-analyze, and you'll end up enjoying it.

Okay Mark, you know I value your opinion...it's not a money issue, it's a comfort issue. I've been on FMLA until just recently and have severe chronic back pain...I just don't have a lot of tolerance for those movie seats unless the film really holds my attention. Prometheus probably wouldn't need to hit the same threshold with me as it would others, cause aliens are my "shiny things" and it doesn't take a lot to get me to full retard status.

Okay Mark, you know I value your opinion...it's not a money issue, it's a comfort issue. I've been on FMLA until just recently and have severe chronic back pain...I just don't have a lot of tolerance for those movie seats unless the film really holds my attention. Prometheus probably wouldn't need to hit the same threshold with me as it would others, cause aliens are my "shiny things" and it doesn't take a lot to get me to full retard status.

My recommendation is certainly to see it in HD -- IMAX if possible. The film really is beautiful from that standpoint; I still can't believe how well they've nailed 3D these days. Plot holes and unanswered questions aside, it's good entertainment for a couple of hours.

I missed the xenomorph mural. How did that happen? I guess it's possible they worshipped them. But why? Who created whom? I guess we'll find out about that later. Can't explain the David/Vickers stuff, but as you said, Vickers might as well not even have been in the movie.

I went to see the movie on opening night with my bro. My wife wanted to see it, but after I said it was disappointing, she said she'd wait for DVD or cable. However I think we'll go to a matinee to see it together.

Here's a picture of the mural I'm talking about (it was only on screen for a few seconds):

http://gamingshogun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/uxAo9.jpg

The christ pose leads me to believe the xenomorph was worshiped, but I can see the mural being an easter egg that gets fleshed out in a sequel.

My recommendation is certainly to see it in HD -- IMAX if possible. The film really is beautiful from that standpoint; I still can't believe how well they've nailed 3D these days. Plot holes and unanswered questions aside, it's good entertainment for a couple of hours.

Agreed. See it in theatres, don't bother making it part of the personal collection. In my opinion.

Like Astrojanitor, it just sort of befuddles me that a project with so much obvious time and dedication on the aesthetic side of things could fall so short on the script.

So I say see it in the theatre and try not to over-analyze, and you'll end up enjoying it.

See it in the theater, yes. The first scene alone will make your jaw drop. Visuals really are impressive on the big screen. But the fun is "over-analyzing" it. The film not holding up to analysis is Ridley Scott's fault, not the viewer. You wouldn't get so many long winded posts on the film if breaking it apart wasn't so much fun. I assure you, talking about Prometheus is a lot more fun than watching it.

In many ways I agree with you. Especially with what you said about the title of the movie.

The animation is superb, Merida's hair alone is amazing. The story while having it's creative moments, ends up on the sub-par side.

I liked it, but didn't love it.

Wow, the emotional level that "Prometheus" has hit on this board has been most interesting.

aj, I recommend that you see this movie in the theatre. It is a movie that deserves to be seen on the silver screen. The cinematography is very good. If you need to save money then go to a matinee.

I think some of the posters on this board are overreacting, but that just shows they are passionate about this.

Personally I have never been a big fan of the Alien series, so I lack the passion of others. "Alien" is a brilliant film, as we all know, and "Aliens" is a big fun ride, but I found "Alien 3" to be tedious and not very exciting, and "Alien Resurrection" is just a mess.

I stopped feeling scared in Alien 3 when the xenomorph enters the medical bay, gets right up to Ripley's face, but leaves her alone. At that point, I knew she had a xenomorph inside her.

Here's a picture of the mural I'm talking about (it was only on screen for a few seconds):

http://gamingshogun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/uxAo9.jpg

The christ pose leads me to believe the xenomorph was worshiped, but I can see the mural being an easter egg that gets fleshed out in a sequel.

Thanks, I was trying to find the mural online. I guess we'll have to wait until the sequel(s) to find out.

Anybody see Ted? Here's my review...

http://www.entertainment-bureau.com/ted-review-reviewsday-tuesday/2286

Much better than I expected.

Nice review Sage. Saw Ted last Friday night -- enjoyed the laughs. The Flash Gordon was overplayed but the movie worked. The jokes would have been funny -- even without a stuffed bear delivering the punch lines.....

The interplay between Ted and the Grocery Store owner was classic...

Some friends want to see Ted tonight, but I really have no desire to see it. McFarlane's style totally clashes with what I enjoy. I also don't see an ounce of acting talent in Marky Mark, so this one has the recipe for disaster written all over it. Have any non-McFarlane fans seen this movie so far?

Saw Spiderman tonight. A lot like the rest. I am starting to go over it in my head - Emma Stone was the only reason I will remember it. It was neat, good special effects but I am tired of Spiderman.

Paid $30 for two IMAX 3D tickets... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Saw Spiderman tonight. A lot like the rest. I am starting to go over it in my head - Emma Stone was the only reason I will remember it. It was neat, good special effects but I am tired of Spiderman.

Paid $30 for two IMAX 3D tickets... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I've been trying to get psyched for it, but having a hard time. I will admit that Rhys Ifans is a selling point with me...I don't think most people in this country realize how solid of an actor he is, but he's an excellent character actor with a tremendous amount of range. If he's given the right material, he'll elevate the role.

I'm definitely looking forward to Batman, though...an even better character actor, Tom Hardy, should steal the show. He won't be the draw that Heath Ledger was as the Joker, but his performance should be on par. Hard to imagine Nolan won't give him lots of great lines to feast on.