June Movies: Prometheus, Brave, Madagascar 3, and.....

With "The Avengers" putting every other summer offering to shame, the month of June arrives to add more options to those needing something fresh from the Shawarma loving superheroes. Schools are closing for summer vacation so now the youth demographic will be the focus of all movie studios, as there will be a little something of everything for all movie goers. Another interesting factor to the month of June is the surprising lack of sequels, that normally draw the most excitement this time of year. One particular movie that was supposed to be a much hyped prequel has now become it's own stand alone film.

That movie is 20th Century Fox's sci-fi/thriller "Prometheus", the first sci-fi film that director Ridley Scott has helmed since 1982's "Blade Runner". A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race. What was originally going to be a prequel to Scott's "Alien", has taken a different approach. Early trailers have thrilled science fiction fans as the movie has an old school thrilling feel to it. Fox & Scott have done a great job of keeping the lid on this film, making it an even bigger anticipation for fans. With the "Alien" aspect being hinted at instead of being exploited, and a top notch cast that should attract more of a mainstream audience, "Prometheus" looks to become a big money maker this summer. Starring Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green & Guy Pearce.

Disney/Pixar continue their summer tradition with their latest animated tale, "Brave". Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse. After the somewhat lackluster performance of "Cars 2", Disney/Pixar look to get back on track as the premiere animation movie department. For the first time Pixar enters the mythical/fairy tale world and has a female character as it's main character. Starring the voice talents of Kelly Macdonald, Emma Thompson, Billy Connolly, Kevin McKidd, Robbie Coltrane, Julie Walters, Craig Ferguson & John Ratzenberger.

Disney & Pixar are not the only ones releasing a big animated movie this month. Dreamworks & PDI continue their hit series of lost zoo animals trying to return home, with "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted". Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman are still fighting to get home to their beloved Big Apple. Their journey takes them through Europe where they find the perfect cover: a traveling circus, which they reinvent - Madagascar style. Starring the voice talents of Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, Jada Pinkett Smith, Daid Schwimmer, Sacha Baron Cohen, Cedric the Entertainer, Frances McDormand, Andy Richter, Bryan Cranston, Martin Short, Jessica Chastain & Paz Vega.

20th Century Fox, director Timur Bekmembetov & producer Tim Burton present, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter". Based on the novel by Seth Grahame-Smith, this story explores the secret life of the America's greatest president, Abraham Lincoln, and the untold story that shaped their nation. The president discovers blood-thirsty vampires are planning to take over the United States. Lincoln makes it his mission to eliminate them, becoming history's greatest hunter of the undead. With no big name actors, a modest budget, and a good following of the popular novel, you could be looking at one of this summer's sleeper movies. Starring Benjamin Walker, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Dominic Cooper, Alan Tudyk & Rufus Sewell.

After misfiring with "Battleship", Universal now targets young women with it's action/adventure take on a famous fairy tale, "Snow White and the Huntsman". In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen. Starring Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron, Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone & Toby Jones.

Getting the big screen treatment is the broadway musical hit, "Rock of Ages". Set in 1987 Los Angeles, Drew and Sherrie are two young people chasing their dreams in the big city. When they meet, it's love at first sight, though their romance will face a series of challenges. Starring Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Malin Akerman, Mary J. Blige, Alec Baldwin & Tom Cruise.

Adam Sandler & Andy Samberg star in "That's My Boy". While still in his teens, Donny fathered a son, Todd, and raised him as a single parent up until Todd's 18th birthday. Now, after not seeing each other for years, Todd's world comes crashing down. Also starring Leighton Meester, James Caan, Milo Ventimiglia & Vanilla Ice.

Warner Bros. and director Steven Soderbergh present "Magic Mike". Mike, an experienced stripper, takes a younger performer called The Kid under his wing and schools him in the arts of partying, picking up women, and making easy money. Starring Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Matt Bomer, Joe Manganiello, Olivia Munn & Matthew McConaughey.

Mark Wahlberg & Mila Kunis star in the Seth MacFarlane directed "Ted". John makes a Christmas miracle happen by bringing his one and only friend to life, his teddy bear. The two grow up together and John must then choose to stay with his girlfriend or keep his friendship with his crude and extremely inappropriate teddy bear, Ted. Also starring Giovanni Ribisi, Patrick Warburton & Laura Vandervoort.

Steve Carrell & Keira Knightley star in "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World". As an asteroid nears Earth, a man finds himself alone after his wife leaves in a panic. He decides to take a road trip to reunite with his high school sweetheart. Accompanying him is a neighbor who inadvertently puts a wrench in his plan.

Tyler Perry stars and directs "Madea's Witness Protection". A Wall Street investment banker who has been set up as the linchpin of his company's mob-backed Ponzi scheme is relocated with his family to Aunt Madea's southern home. Also starring Eugene Levy & Denise Richards.

Andy Garcia stars in "For Greater Glory", a chronicle of the Cristeros War (1926-1929); a war by the people of Mexico against the atheistic Mexican government. Also starring Oscar Issac, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Peter O'Toole, Bruce Greenwood, Nestor Carbonell & Eva Longoria.

Finally in "Battlefield America", A young businessman who lands a community service sentence falls in with a group of misfit kids who need mentoring. With the help of a pro instructor, he works to get the kids ready for a big underground dance competition. Starring Marques Houston, Mekia Cox & Christopher Jones.

Calendar with Trailers.

6/1

"Battlefield America": http://www.battlefieldamericamovie.com/

"For Greater Glory": http://www.forgreaterglory.com/

"Snow White and the Huntsman": http://www.snowwhiteandthehuntsman.com/

6/8

"Prometheus": http://www.prometheus-movie.com/

"Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted": http://www.madagascarmovie.com/

6/15

"Rock of Ages": http://rockofagesmovie.warnerbros.com/

"That's My Boy": http://thatsmyboy-movie.com/

6/22

"Brave": http://disney.go.com/brave/index.html

"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2367398425/

"Seeking a Friend for the End of the World": http://focusfeatures.com/seeking_a_friend_for_the_end_of_the_world

6/29

"Magic Mike": http://magicmikemovie.warnerbros.com/

"Madea's Witness Protection": http://www.madeaswitnessprotectionmovie.com/

"Ted": http://www.tedisreal.com/

That's all for now. Independent films will be posted later. Enjoy!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura Vandervoort :wub::wub::wub:

I don't think I've ever seen the Aliens movies in their entireties as they just weren't my genre, but the Prometheus trailer looks good and didn't seem to have any slimy aliens....

Highest hopes, sight unseen anything about it is "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World." I don't remember a Carrell disappointment on the big screen (I didn't watch The Office) and this story/scenario has a lot of promise.

That movie is 20th Century Fox's sci-fi/thriller "Prometheus", the first sci-fi film that director Ridley Scott has helmed since 1982's "Blade Runner". Starring Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green & Guy Pearce.

20th Century Fox, director Timur Bekmembetov & producer Tim Burton present, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter".

That's all for now. Independent films will be posted later. Enjoy!

Thanx as usual, Mark.

I can't wait for Prometheus. Killer premise with a terrific cast. As a side note for those who don't know Idris Elba - guy is an intense Brit actor. I saw his BBC series called 'Luther' and it is fantastic.

OTOH, "Abraham Lincoln" is just not getting me excited.

"Magic Mike" may be interesting simply due to Sorderbergh.

By the way, whats with the stinking foreigners getting to see movies a week before us ? Of the prominent ones, Avengers and Prometheus both were released to the international crowd before the US. :angry:

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Is there any chance that they could gas the audience during every single showing of That's My Boy? I can't believe people still pay to see his awful movies.

And I know I'll see Prometheus at some point, but I get the feeling that I won't see any of this month's offerings in a theater. Nothing is really catching my eye. Bring on July!

Laura Vandervoort :wub::wub::wub:

I don't think I've ever seen the Aliens movies in their entireties as they just weren't my genre, but the Prometheus trailer looks good and didn't seem to have any slimy aliens....

Highest hopes, sight unseen anything about it is "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World." I don't remember a Carrell disappointment on the big screen (I didn't watch The Office) and this story/scenario has a lot of promise.

You probably will not see any slimy aliens in "Prometheus", as they have toned down the alien aspect of the movie, or at least that is what the filmmakers have said. Yet every trailer that has been released has had the same sound effect even the same title design as "Alien". Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

"Seeking a Friend at the End of the World" could turn out to be a surprise hit. It's a movie that no one is talking about and surprisingly has gotten no big push from Focus Features.

You probably will not see any slimy aliens in "Prometheus", as they have toned down the alien aspect of the movie, or at least that is what the filmmakers have said. Yet every trailer that has been released has had the same sound effect even the same title design as "Alien". Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You really have to wonder what the casual non-Alien or Ridley Scott fan thinks of those trailers though, someone who doesn't realize the connections to the Alien series. Looking at the trailers, you don't have the slightest clue what threat they're facing. Will they draw that kind of viewer?

Thanx as usual, Mark.

I can't wait for Prometheus. Killer premise with a terrific cast. As a side note for those who don't know Idris Elba - guy is an intense Brit actor. I saw his BBC series called 'Luther' and it is fantastic.

OTOH, "Abraham Lincoln" is just not getting me excited.

"Magic Mike" may be interesting simply due to Sorderbergh.

By the way, whats with the stinking foreigners getting to see movies a week before us ? Of the prominent ones, Avengers and Prometheus both were released to the international crowd before the US. :angry:

Get ready for that to be the norm. The international market has become a boon for Hollywood as of late. The countries of Russia, China, Japan & Korea love the big action films and do huge business there. The United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Australia, Mexico & Brazil also provide big bucks for various American films.

Last year the international box office numbers for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part 2" & "Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon", combined with domestic receipts, catapulted both movies over the 1 billion dollar mark. Even more telling was the performance of "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides". Domestically Pirates 4 made roughly 250 million, but overseas it made an eye-popping 750 million! Over 70% of it's total box office came from overseas. This for a movie that was a 3rd sequel in a series!

Also "Battleship" was released internationally two weeks before "The Avengers", a whole month before it's domestic release. Universal knew they had a potential bomb on their hands so they gave it to the action hungry European and Asian crowds knowing they could make good money before "The Avengers" would take it away.

I know how you feel though, I'd like to have the USA get first crack at the movies before they go overseas, but that's business for ya.

Is there any chance that they could gas the audience during every single showing of That's My Boy? I can't believe people still pay to see his awful movies.

And I know I'll see Prometheus at some point, but I get the feeling that I won't see any of this month's offerings in a theater. Nothing is really catching my eye. Bring on July!

I used to always look forward to Sandler films cause even though they were typically lousy films, they were always good for some laughs. I don't know what happened over the last five years or so, but even people like me who used to be a fan of the guy are like, "wtf?" There's no way in hell I would pay to go see any of his films in the theater.

Can't wait to see Promethius, even though I'm still confused as to whether it's related to the Alien films or not. Seems like I've read different accounts of the premise.

As always, thanks Mark!!

I know how you feel though, I'd like to have the USA get first crack at the movies before they go overseas, but that's business for ya.

Thanx. I realize that the overseas market is huge expecially for blockbusters. I know that in India, the local movie release schedule has been shaken up and the local big releases have to be cognizant of the release schedule of the Hollywood biggies. While this factor is mostly relevant in the urban centers, that is a huge chuck of business for the local movie industry.

In general, besides the movie aspect, I expect these movies are good for US exports. I wonder how much our national trade deficit is postively affected by the money these movies make overseas.

In any case, I am not sure how releasing movies abroad makes better business sense than releasing in the US first (as used to be the norm). I am not trying to be an a$$ and have this genuine question.

Thanx. I realize that the overseas market is huge expecially for blockbusters. I know that in India, the local movie release schedule has been shaken up and the local big releases have to be cognizant of the release schedule of the Hollywood biggies. While this factor is mostly relevant in the urban centers, that is a huge chuck of business for the local movie industry.

In general, besides the movie aspect, I expect these movies are good for US exports. I wonder how much our national trade deficit is postively affected by the money these movies make overseas.

In any case, I am not sure how releasing movies abroad makes better business sense than releasing in the US first (as used to be the norm). I am not trying to be an a$$ and have this genuine question.

It's due, more than anything, to an attempt to curb piracy. Releasing the films early in markets prone to excessive piracy limits the interest and opportunity for pirates to press DVDs and sell them. Let alone upload them digitally.

It's just the beginning. It will continue to favor foreign markets until piracy is better under control. There is too much money at stake.

You really have to wonder what the casual non-Alien or Ridley Scott fan thinks of those trailers though, someone who doesn't realize the connections to the Alien series. Looking at the trailers, you don't have the slightest clue what threat they're facing. Will they draw that kind of viewer?

Good point.

If you saw "The Avengers" you saw the "Prometheus" trailer. So there is a chance that many non-Alien fans may just go see this movie just to see what it is all about.

The trailer is very enticing and has a great mystery about it.

Good point.

If you saw "The Avengers" you saw the "Prometheus" trailer. So there is a chance that many non-Alien fans may just go see this movie just to see what it is all about.

The trailer is very enticing and has a great mystery about it.

I have a hard time separating the fact that I know it is connected in Alien in some way though. Does the trailer seem as interesting and mysterious if you don't know that connection.

So I was watching Conan last night and Charlize Theron was on. It got me wondering. Does anyone know if anyone has ever had a major role in two movies that will most likely be the #1 seller in back to back weeks? Assuming Prometheus beats out Snow White this week, that will happen. And as for her being on the show, I'll mark this one as a spoiler just in case:

She said that in the movie

she works Weyland, the same company from the Alien movies. So I guess that means it is in fact a prequel. It would be a bit strange to use that name if they didn't want it to be in the same continuity.

Mark Wahlberg & Mila Kunis star in the Seth MacFarlane directed "Ted". John makes a Christmas miracle happen by bringing his one and only friend to life, his teddy bear. The two grow up together and John must then choose to stay with his girlfriend or keep his friendship with his crude and extremely inappropriate teddy bear, Ted. Also starring Giovanni Ribisi, Patrick Warburton & Laura Vandervoort.

"Ted": http://www.tedisreal.com/

I know it will probably only be in the theaters for a week or two, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I have a hard time separating the fact that I know it is connected in Alien in some way though. Does the trailer seem as interesting and mysterious if you don't know that connection.

So I was watching Conan last night and Charlize Theron was on. It got me wondering. Does anyone know if anyone has ever had a major role in two movies that will most likely be the #1 seller in back to back weeks? Assuming Prometheus beats out Snow White this week, that will happen. And as for her being on the show, I'll mark this one as a spoiler just in case:

I heard another interview with her where she said that if she knew how popular 3D was going to be, she would have had that boob job 10 years ago. :lol:

I used to always look forward to Sandler films cause even though they were typically lousy films, they were always good for some laughs. I don't know what happened over the last five years or so, but even people like me who used to be a fan of the guy are like, "wtf?" There's no way in hell I would pay to go see any of his films in the theater.

Can't wait to see Promethius, even though I'm still confused as to whether it's related to the Alien films or not. Seems like I've read different accounts of the premise.

As always, thanks Mark!!

Your welcome aj.

I've never cared for Adam Sandler's movies, just could not take his humor for a feature length film. Andy Samberg's presence could end up helping "That's My Boy", since Sandler is not being relied on to carry the film by himself.

Your welcome aj.

I've never cared for Adam Sandler's movies, just could not take his humor for a feature length film. Andy Samberg's presence could end up helping "That's My Boy", since Sandler is not being relied on to carry the film by himself.

Good point...I'm a fan of Samberg and am really bummed that he's leaving SNL. He's very good at using his expressions and physicality for humor and I respect that. I really think he's leaving SNL too early, but the SNL players have done relatively well moving to features over the years.