Sunday Ticket

Another option that wasn’t mentioned is to find a buddy who already has the football package on Direct TV. If he has the Max package (or you were to compensate him to get it, I think it’s $60 for the entire season), I’m sure you could use his login credentials to stream directly to your PC, or other Wifi enabled device. I’ve been plugging my laptop into my TV, and other than the occasional crappy signal, it works well. Only one catch, your friend has to live outside of the Buffalo market.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I can't relate to this anti-DirecTV sentiment. I have found their programming to be exceptional as compared to Dish, Time Warner, Verizon, etc... Their pricing (for what you get), and their customer service also seem to be very reasonable. Plus, they lowered the price of the Sunday Ticket by nearly 40% this year. You're paying $199 to be able to watch every single regular season game! To me, it's well worth it. I'm not even going to "shake them down" for a discount this year.

Agreed.

Another option that wasn't mentioned is to find a buddy who already has the football package on Direct TV. If he has the Max package (or you were to compensate him to get it, I think it's $60 for the entire season), I'm sure you could use his login credentials to stream directly to your PC, or other Wifi enabled device. I've been plugging my laptop into my TV, and other than the occasional crappy signal, it works well. Only one catch, your friend has to live outside of the Buffalo market.

And your friend has to trust giving you full access over his DirecTV account... ;)

I have to agree with the sentiment on their customer service. Not once, but twice,I had appointments to have them come and do work and had them not only be late, but simply fail to show up at all that day despite in one case having an 8-12 appointment and in both cases me calling their dispatcher every 30 mins after they were an hour late. Inexcusable in my book, especially when they require someone to be home at the time (ie., take a day off). I'm only there for the Ticket (although when we moved two years ago my last installer was pretty competent and timely....

This is DirecTV's biggest issue -- the installers are not DirecTV employees, but rather subcontractors. How do you ensure that all of your subcontractors know what they're doing and act professionally? That's why if an installer sucks, you can call and usually get either free movie channels or a discount on your bill, but it still is frustrating. I've actually been lucky and never had an issue, but I have friends who have had lazy installers in the past. No really good solution to that problem though other than the customer service they already provide.

As others have noted, the price is down to $199 this year. I suspect that they won't be giving any discounts off of that price either, but we'll see.

Count me in with the pro-direcTV crowd. I've had them for 5+ years now and loved them. As Fez said, most of my friends who have had "problems" with DirecTV have had problems with the sub-contractors. I myself have never had an issue. And the few times there have been goof-ups, i call them and usually get free movie channels or a bill credit, etc. I'll also add in, that if you do sign up for DirecTV, call them directly to sign up and set up your plan and installation. I've notice that 3rd parties who offer direcTV often times have issues with the installers, service times, etc.

Last year i complained and got sunday ticket for free. This year, even if they aren't giving discounts, i'll gladly pay the $199 for the ticket. Its much better than having to head off to the bar every week, where i'll spend more $. Not to mention with the ticket, i can tivo the games if i'm out of town and not gonna be able to catch the game until later on sunday.

Three bills is cheap for 16 games plus all the other amenities.

Why are you going to be a dick and call for a discount. Cheap Ass...... :thumbdown:

Going to a game here in Philly will run over 250 for good seats and others fees. FOR 1 GAME.

I just got Sunday Ticket Max for a grand total of $100. Enjoy paying full price sucker!

How? Share your technique please.

I happened to be on the phone with them on an unrelated matter, and while they were taking care of that I just casually inquired whether there would be any incentive available if I ordered Sunday Ticket and paid in full today. They came right back with the offer of ST Max at $200 off, and I said Thanks!

And your friend has to trust giving you full access over his DirecTV account... ;)

This is DirecTV's biggest issue -- the installers are not DirecTV employees, but rather subcontractors. How do you ensure that all of your subcontractors know what they're doing and act professionally? That's why if an installer sucks, you can call and usually get either free movie channels or a discount on your bill, but it still is frustrating. I've actually been lucky and never had an issue, but I have friends who have had lazy installers in the past. No really good solution to that problem though other than the customer service they already provide.

As others have noted, the price is down to $199 this year. I suspect that they won't be giving any discounts off of that price either, but we'll see.

I agree. I have always had great service when the guys come out. I don't understand why people complain. Their service is 10xs better then Time Warner. I switched over 9 years ago & have not regret it once. Sometimes when it is a wet snow(in spring) the signal goes out but I just got to brush the snow off, not a big deal as my dish is only about 12-15 feet up on the side of my house. Thunderstorms, up in Buffalo we don't get to many severe ones like they do in other parts of the country & the signal will usually go out 3-4 times a year for maybe 5-10 minutes. Certainly not the 15xs for 3-4 hours like other people are claiming. I love sports & noone offers more packages for sports then Direct TV.

As for them not discounting the price I am afraid you maybe right. I have gotten the NFL Ticket for free or pretty close to free for the last 5 years. I call them up, give them a sad song about how it has gotten too expensive & after haggling for 5 minutes they have given it to me for free. I am going to still call this year & see what they can do. It is worth a shot. If not maybe I will just charge my free loading brother-in-law who comes over every Sunday to watch the games & drinks all my beer & eats all my food $100 & tell him we could split it. He has offered that in the past but I have gotten it for free so I have always told him it is not necassary.

Is there anything comparable to the Center Ice Package on Direct TV?

You can get centre ice from any provider.

It is only the sunday ticket that DirectTV has exclusive rights to in the US.

I really wish the NFL did not recently renew that contract and allowed all the providers to carry the ticket. All the other sports do.

Canadas satellite provider (Bell ExpressVu) also offers the sunday ticket.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I happened to be on the phone with them on an unrelated matter, and while they were taking care of that I just casually inquired whether there would be any incentive available if I ordered Sunday Ticket and paid in full today. They came right back with the offer of ST Max at $200 off, and I said Thanks!

Wow interesting. When I usually call this early they tell me to call back in August. Maybe I will try that today. Thanks!

I have been with DirecTV for 13 years and I feel the service is fantastic and I am a VP of Customer Service with another company. The call takers are courteous and always thank me for my loyalty.

I just renewed the NFL package and then was offered a position in Syracuse so the family and I may be moving if I accept. Am I remembering correctly that the NFL started to include Syracuse in the blackout area? If so I will try to keep the billing address as my Albany address.

Yes Syracuse does get black out in the Syracuse area :( Hopefully were remain good enough to sell out always!

Wow interesting. When I usually call this early they tell me to call back in August. Maybe I will try that today. Thanks!

Update---------------------

Just called Direct TV. I got the lady to give me the Ticket for $99. I did not even have to pay for it all upfront. She said when I start to get billed for it I will receive a $20 credit for 5 months of the billing cycle. The only thing I had to do was sign up for paperless bills. I am still not satisfied though. In August I am going to call back & tell them it is a disgrace that they are giving the ticket for free to new customers & threaten to cancel my whole god dam service if they don't give me the ticket for free. If they call my bluff I will just hang up on them. Man I love pulling one over on the man. As the great Gus Johnson would say "Ha HA!!!".

Edited by Gordio

Update---------------------

Just called Direct TV. I got the lady to give me the Ticket for $99. I did not even have to pay for it all upfront. She said when I start to get billed for it I will receive a $20 credit for 5 months of the billing cycle. The only thing I had to do was sign up for paperless bills. I am still not satisfied though. In August I am going to call back & tell them it is a disgrace that they are giving the ticket for free to new customers & threaten to cancel my whole god dam service if they don't give me the ticket for free. If they call my bluff I will just hang up on them. Man I love pulling one over on the man. As the great Gus Johnson would say "Ha HA!!!".

Sounds like from the cost and credits you mention that you're only getting the Sunday Ticket basic package, which costs $199 this year. Sunday Ticket Max is $299 and includes Red Zone Channel, Short Cuts, and To-Go for use on iPad, etc. Double check your online account and make that return call for a free upgrade to Max if necessary!

Sounds like from the cost and credits you mention that you're only getting the Sunday Ticket basic package, which costs $199 this year. Sunday Ticket Max is $299 and includes Red Zone Channel, Short Cuts, and To-Go for use on iPad, etc. Double check your online account and make that return call for a free upgrade to Max if necessary!

You are correct sir that was only for the basic package. However with that being said I have 3 tvs down in the basement so I usually don't use all that extra stuff. At least I have not in the past. I pretty much plan my Sundays around football which is to say I am down in my basement with a case of beer & usually stay down there from noon to 8 or 9 at night doing nothing but watching football. Yeah Yeah I know some people call it a waste of day, I like to call it living the high life.

You are correct sir that was only for the basic package. However with that being said I have 3 tvs down in the basement so I usually don't use all that extra stuff. At least I have not in the past. I pretty much plan my Sundays around football which is to say I am down in my basement with a case of beer & usually stay down there from noon to 8 or 9 at night doing nothing but watching football. Yeah Yeah I know some people call it a waste of day, I like to call it living the high life.

Couldn't agree more!! :thumbsup: