What would you consider a "Successful Run"

I understand what you're saying, but in reality, each season must be taken on its own merits, and we've seen it happen before in this league where a team comes from "out of nowhere" to make a run. So for me the Super Bowl, even this season, is not a pipe dream. Plus, the signs are there for the Bills to break out (i.e., 5-2 start last season in which the only losses were by 3 pts. on the road to playoff teams).

Practically everything about what led to the 1-8 finish has been addressed this offseason.

I'm reasonably comfortable making the statement that as of right now, no team sees the Bills on the schedule and thinks "sure victory."

Oh, definitely. But I think it'd be unrealistic for me to *expect* a Superbowl after poor years. I'd definitely want it, sure. I like to take things a step at a time in life, and that goes with expectations as well. I keep them in check. I expect the Bills to build on last year, and hopefully that results in a better record, and possibly a winning one.

If they get to the Superbowl, awesome.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bills - from the 1988 season to 1993 - had an unprecedented run...six consecutive playoff seasons, five AFC title games in those six seasons, and four consecutive Superbowl appearances.

(After missing the playoffs in 1994, the Bills would go on to qualify for post-season play in 1995, '96, 98, and 1999 - ten playoff appearances in 12 seasons!!!)

I think anyone would have to call that a successful run. And I think the Bills are ready - overdue, actually - for another...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

post-2970-031053100 1337795017_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

I'll keep it relative.

If they can get a winning season here, and a few more in the upcoming years, I'll be happy. The Superbowl is a pipe dream considering we haven't even been to the playoffs in 12 years.

Hell, just get me to .500. Lets start there. That's how pathetic we've been for so long.

Edit: I'd love to see our team be good enough that there are never any "sure victories" when playing the Bills.

:thumbsup:

Just having a winning season at 8-8 or 9-7 would be a start and prove to me that this coaching staff can get it done. Gailey needs to show that the win against the Patriots was not a fluke, and the Bills can beat teams in the division on a regular basis. The only way this franchise is ever going to be a contender again is to be able to compete against Belichick / Ryan ...and win.

Edited by Fear the Beard

I like what the Falcons have done.

They went from a franchise that never had back to back winning seasons until 2008/2009 to now being playoff contenders every year.

that was 40+ years of never having back to back winning years to now being legitimate contenders. Say what you will but the front office made some good moves and got a big monkey off their back. If they can break that streak, the Bills can end the playoff draught of 12 years.

Good Post! I believe that the only real purpose and goal of an NFL team should be greatness. This means not just going out there and putting together a team that can be competitive, or one that can win more than it loses, but, rather, the goal should be to assemble a team that embodies a philosophy, and that philosophy, when running smoothly and showing up on the field, should be dominant. You don't come up with coaching strategies, x's and o's, to attain mediocrity.

So, in reply, I say the Bills need to get to a point where they string together, I'd say at least three years of consistent play that identifies their coaches philosophies and is DOMINANT - that means consistently having one of the best defenses, and consistently having an offense that can score - not streaky, up and down teams that show promise but fall prey to "injuries" or "inexperience" or "inconsistency" or even "bad coaching".

- And, this team has to be one of the top teams in the conference, and, because of what happened to Buffalo in the early 1990's, it has to make it back to a Super Bowl and WIN it.

Otherwise, no matter what happens, the team and it's coaches will be remembered as having tried to change a culture that was, and continued to be, that of losing. No one is going to bring up Baltimore or Philly as examples of great teams - except the Championship Baltimore team. You've got to achieve greatness to successfully "get there", and just because we're so accustomed to falling short does not mean you lower the bar - INSTEAD, FOR THAT VERY REASON, THE BAR SHOULD BE HELD HIGHER THAN EVER, AND NOTHING LESS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A SUCCESS.

My question revolves around what you all would consider a "Great run" for an NFL Franchise these days. I was watching ESPN yesterday and they had Joe Flacco on the phone. It occurred to me that the Ravens are always considered a great team and have performed very well for the better part of a decade. They draft well, sign good players and coaches, and are always competitive down the stretch.

That said, they have not won a Super Bowl since the turn of the century. Other teams like this include the Chargers (I know they have been discussed a lot here recently) and the early-2000s Eagles.

If the Bills were to have a stretch coming up where for the next 6 years they were competitive (think consistent 9-11 wins or more), made the playoffs 4 years and hell, even won the AFC East once or twice, would that be considered a "Successful" job by Buddy and Chan? Or are we of the opinion that unless you win a Super Bowl at least once in a run like that, the front office has failed?

My Bills fandom started in earnest at age 10 in 1999 with the Home Run Throwforward, so I have not really known the Bills to be anything more than a horrible team, but for you guys who are going into several decades worth of rooting for the Bills, I'd be curious to hear your perspective on what standard we hold the Bills to.

The Patriots, which shows that more than decade is actually possible with a Franchise QB, Good GM and Coaches. Indy and Pits fits this as well and Baltimore if Flaco was better, Giants and GB could be next to be on a run. Also Think SF could be the new Elite team with their focus on physical football but it's still early yet.

Anything less than 6 straight undefeated seasons is an insult to my fandom. Ralph is cheap.

Promo is right on!! That is the least of what we should expect and what we deserve!! Get 'Er Done Buddy!!

And to think I thought this was going to be a thread about evaluating the 40's of our team members.

Ralph is so cheap - we're never going to sign anyone!

:rolleyes:

PTR

Beating teams that you are better than:

-most of the time during the season

-every single time during the playoffs.

And being over 50-50 against teams better than you.

If you beat them more than half the time, they aren't the better team, you are.

In my opinion, success is when a team can be a legitimate SUPER BOWL CONTENDER for at least five years.

Obviously, the ultimate goal should be winning the big game.

But the early 90's Bills was one of the best the NFL has ever seen. Even without a championship, I would still consider it a successful run.