So what would happen...

Forgive me if this topic has actually been covered (and covered, and covered), but what would happen if RW's age finally caught up with him in mid-season? Would ownership default to someone in the organization for the duration of the season (if so, who)? Would the team be sold off before the season was over, or would all of that stuff wait until the Super Bowl?

Edited by Beerball
Modified title

It would then be revealed that a succession plan has been in place and the new owner(s) would be announced (Jim Kelly among them?)to the nation.

At least that's what I am hoping because I do not believe that the team's sudden reversal from letting good players walk to now locking them up long-term and from being a ghost in top-tier free agency to signing the top two pass rushers on the market is being orchestrated by an aging owner in ever-declining health who has all but disappeared from the public spotlight.

I think the next owners already have (undisclosed) minority ownership status and have say in how their future possession is being run.

They'd have a moment of silence before the next game and wear his initials on the unis for the rest of the season. Otherwise, not much. It takes a while to sort out an estate, especially when it's worth a billion dollars.

It would then be revealed that a succession plan has been in place and the new owner(s) would be announced (Jim Kelly among them?)to the nation.

At least that's what I am hoping because I do not believe that the team's sudden reversal from letting good players walk to now locking them up long-term and from being a ghost in top-tier free agency to signing the top two pass rushers on the market is being orchestrated by an aging owner in ever-declining health who has all but disappeared from the public spotlight.

I think the next owners already have (undisclosed) minority ownership status and have say in how their future possession is being run.

This is the part that also scares me the most. The good ol' boys are finally making moves in the right direction to better this team but at the same time, it makes the team more marketable to potential buyers looking to move the team.

It will all start with what happens with the new stadium agreement. If they can get that in place, it will be hard for any new owner to move the team(depending on how well the contract is written).

You know this thread does perplex me... I've always dreaded the thought of the Bills elsewhere and I love Ralph for doing all that he has for keeping us here as long as he has. BUT... If he really wants to leave a legacy behind, if his family does not want anything to do with this team and owning it, it would show all fans how much he loves this city/team/fans by ensuring the team doesn't flee after his passing. It is amazing how much he's already done for the Bills but it would be even more memorable if he worked out this plan so in the end we are not in limbo waiting for Jimbo to swoop in with his "buying group" and save the day. Highest bidder is scary because Buffalo isn't known for it's extravagent millionaires.

Nothing would happen instantaneously, kinda like when Al Davis passed last season. There has to be some sort of succession plan in place, even if just a temporary one. Not wishing anything, but Ralph isn't young and the OP cannot be the first person to think of this possibility.

Repeating/adding to what others have said: whether or not there's a succession plan in place, Ralph's estate has to go through probate. Nothing will happen too fast. His executor will have ultimate responsibility for managing his assets until they're distributed per his will. The deadline, if there is one, should be the due date for his estate taxes if there are any. I don't know when that would be. I don't know much about marital trusts and/or exclusions but I have to believe that the value of the team alone ($700MM? More?) is way beyond what he can shield.

The short answer to your question is that it should take at least another year to do something with the team. And don't forget that there are contracts and leases in place that would continue on their own terms.

And no team is going to move mid-season. This is the NFL, not the ABA.

I find your topic title a bit offensive and insensitive. If you HAVE to start a thread about this, couldn't you at least say "passes away" instead of kicks it or whatever. just find it very rude to Mr. Wilson. Maybe it's just me.

I'm with you on this one, Danny--maybe it's an ER thing! Mr. Verzella (among others) would be proud ;) ....

I find your topic title a bit offensive and insensitive. If you HAVE to start a thread about this, couldn't you at least say "passes away" instead of kicks it or whatever. just find it very rude to Mr. Wilson. Maybe it's just me.

Agreed...these type of things have no business being discussed on a fan board. It's just disrespectfull and tasteless.

Any minority ownership would need to be approved by the league and would be public knowledge. I just don't think this is really the case. I think it is a bit of wishful thinking. I think Ralph is allowing the Front office to run the team and try to win. The new CBA rules require the teams to spend money, so Ralph doesn't have a choice.

Agreed...these type of things have no business being discussed on a fan board. It's just disrespectfull and tasteless.

I agree 100%. It's sad there are so many losers that hope for a man's death because they think it will improve the football team they root for. Where the hell are people's priorities?

Ralph certainly has his flaws but he brought a pro football team to WNY and kept it here over 50 years despite an economy and population that decreased every year. He's a great man who is in the Hall of Fame of his profession (how many posters can say that?). It will be a very sad day for me when he passes and it's sad the lack of respect he gets among Bills fans when you consider he is the reason there is even a Bills team to B word about.

I agree 100%. It's sad there are so many losers that hope for a man's death because they think it will improve the football team they root for. Where the hell are people's priorities?

Ralph certainly has his flaws but he brought a pro football team to WNY and kept it here over 50 years despite an economy and population that decreased every year. He's a great man who is in the Hall of Fame of his profession (how many posters can say that?). It will be a very sad day for me when he passes and it's sad the lack of respect he gets among Bills fans when you consider he is the reason there is even a Bills team to B word about.

show me anywhere in this thread where anyone does exactly that. Talk about seeing what you want to see instead of what's actually written.

Odds are Ralph's wife will control the team, but I see it as a joint effort by the whole family...Last year, Mark Davis took over for his father Al Davis when he passed....

I still say Ralph's death bed wish is to sell the team to the highest bidder--who keeps the team in WNY...Meaning, the team could NOT go to the highest bidder overall, but to the highest bidder to keep the team in Buffalo!

Overall, it's about ego...Ralph solidifies this team to remain in Buffalo after his death...he would NOT only remain "the HOF owner who defied the odds", but would solidify his future as one of the top prestigous owners in NFL history, by making sure the team does not leave the area!

In terms, this would make him a legend in the NFL--especially to us and future Bills fans!

However, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Edited by KollegeStudnet