Seeing is bill-ieving - reality check

I'M NOT PESSIMISTIC!!!! ON THE CONTRARY!!

:wallbash:

Fact: Buddy has not accomplished his goal as an NFL GM.

Fact # 2: A large portion of posters at TSW fawn over him as if he's brought multiple Lombardi trophies to WNY.

If I were a public school teacher, I wouldn't give a student an A+ just for showing up with sharpened pencils and being able to recite Ozymandias by heart. They'd have to pass the exam with enough correctly answered question to earn the A+.

When Buddy's actions in the offseason result in an A+ (being competitive in the NFL playoffs)I'll give him my "not worthy" bows as so many have you have already done.

ps - Promo, always respected your points of view, but think maybe you been in that tin can too long.

All you are showing me is you can't look ahead, only backward. You can't tell if a move is a good one or a bad one because history says everything is bad. What a miserable life.

Do yourself and us a favor and check out until the end of the season. Then at least you'll have some kind of handle on this off-season.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please name me one GM or HC that has made 100% perfect decisions across their career.

No one is saying they were perfect, but give the guys a break! Furthermore, Wanny wasnt even available when they hired Edwards as he was still in Pittsburgh.

I get that it has been a long time since the Bills gave us fans something to be happy about, but nothing and no one is 100% perfect.

Even Super Bowl teams have problems from imperfect decisions. Such is life. Such is the universe.

They took a chance on a guy, as successful coach has had to start somewhere, and it didnt work out. So they addressed it (fairly quickly, I might add), and moved on.

So they get a pass on it? After 1 year? You pretty much re-iterated exactly what I said. And there were other choices. They wanted a 3-4 guy that Chan knew when he was in Miami. He hired his buddy and he sucked. YES they saw the writing on the wall after the first year but then you switch to a 4-3 cause Wannstache came along ( who I agree is light years better than Edwards). I, like everyone else think this team is better for the changes made and re-signing in the off season. That to me is where buddy gets an atta boy. Other than that its all wait and see and no one is more optimistic than me when it comes to this year.

All you are showing me is you can't look ahead, only backward. You can't tell if a move is a good one or a bad one because history says everything is bad. What a miserable life.

Do yourself and us a favor and check out until the end of the season. Then at least you'll have some kind of handle on this off-season.

PTR you need to relax my friend. The season hasn't started yet. Who knows this could be our year or we go 7-9 and make more excuses. That's the beauty of it, we get to watch it unfold.

Personally, I'm just not ready to pour my soul into it again, only to be burned by a team that again may fall short and has nothing but a barrel full of excuses to show for it.

I think this sentence really says it all.

All the rational discussion about this issue (optimism/realism/pessimism) on both sides is really just window dressing.

A lot of people are emotionally scarred/scared and it strongly affects how they view the Bills.

I personally tend to be an optimist but from a coldly objective standpoint, I simply don't understand how people cannot be extremely excited and optimistic about this team.

As I've said before, when you've been a sports fan long enough it's pretty easy to spot teams that are on the rise. It's too bad that emotional hedging prevents people from enjoying the excitement and anticipation of what will undoubtedly be a very good season.

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force. I think as fans of our team, it's great to be enthusiastic, but the love-fest for Buddy & Co is reminiscent of the unearned praise given to Sabres owner Terrance Pegula upon his arrival and following the personnel moves made by the Sabres front office.

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning the cup.

1. I don't give a crap about hockey or the Sabres, and have absolutely no respect for posts that somehow connect them to the Bills. That's just stupid.

2. Football Outsiders is smarter than you, and more objective. They have the Bills at 9.7 wins - 7th in the NFL and 3rd in the AFC.

3. In fact, most national sources also have them at or near the playoffs.

In other words, you have to go out of your way to be down on them right now. Why? Do you hate your life (along with the Sabres) so much?

You know the best part of coaching a team or playing at a high level is having a short memory. You have to forget the past in one way, but remember in another to learn what you need.

We are going to be better and as a leader as Chan and Buddy, and Wanny are have to instill in your team. I love what's happening, and hate the we'll see posts, so they can post later, I was so smart i knew better. You should have been as conservative thinking as me.

This is by far the first time in over a decade I'm excited about this team. If we don't do it to get 10 wins, then I'm happy to eat my words, but we are better and can't wait to beat what is left of Rex in week 1.

After reading through several posts, I can see the annual offseason optimism is in full force. I think as fans of our team, it's great to be enthusiastic, but the love-fest for Buddy & Co is reminiscent of the unearned praise given to Sabres owner Terrance Pegula upon his arrival and following the personnel moves made by the Sabres front office.

Sabers fans were already planning the Stanley Cup parade through Lafayette Square. Unfortunately for the team and fans, you have to make the playoffs to have a chance of winning the cup.

Again, as is the yearly tradition, Bills fans are ever hopeful and some actually believing the Bills will be a team to be reckoned with in 2012. Maybe they will be, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bills fans are the Charlie Browns of NFL fans. We keep attempting to kick the football held by Lucy, believing "this time I'll really kick it".

I'm always hearing the words "on paper". The proof is in the pudding. Unless a couple players really step up or there are some surprise breakout players or free agents, the Bills still have weaknesses that teams contending for the Lombardi trophy don't usually have.

Wideouts - still need a complimentary receiver for S Johnson.

Linebacking is average at best

Corners - plenty of potential, but still green

O-Line - LT spot still not settled. Don't expect Glenn to step in and be anything more than average as a rookie

QB - Fitz is smart and a team leader. He's still a journeyman QB. When I see one complete season of top tier QB play out of him, I'll be totally on board with him. For now, he's Frank Reich 2.0. - serviceable and able to win some games. Where's our Jim Kelly?

If the Bills can stay healthy - and that's a big if - they are probably an 8-10 win team. Does anyone really believe the Bills are capable of winning 12 games or more? The real question to be answered is can they finish strong? (as the Giants did in 2011).

"On paper" Nix has done a good job, but to quote the man himself, "show me the baby". I'll reserve my valentine's wishes to Buddy when I'm still watching live Bills games well into January.

A few points:

1) Every team has question marks.

2) Consensus among many NFL watchers is that other than Tampa Bay, no other team has improved more this offseason. The optimism here is not unfounded.

3) Wideouts - you want a "complimentary receiver for S Johnson" but I'd submit that Chan's spread offensive scheme makes this a nonissue. More than most teams, Gailey's offense puts 3-4 receivers on the field at any given time, forcing defenses to cover the whole field and giving Fitz multiple options. Our threat comes not so much from WHO the receivers are as HOW MANY there are to cover. The Bills were 14th in total offense last year (5th in the AFC) even with Fred Jackson out for most of the season.

If the glass is half empty for you, that's cool. Many see it as half full.

DML is right.

No matter what happpens, whether it is getting a new Billionaire owner who is hellbent on revitalizing the franchise, or a new GM who knows how to build a team, Buffalo fans should never be happy or optimistic... :rolleyes:

There you go, you understand :rolleyes:

No one is declaring the Bills as SB contenders, the most I have seen is that with the moves made this offseason, the Bills fans (along with the team and front office) are all expecting playoffs, with anything less being a disapointment. And no one in Buffalo was planning a Parade for the Sabres after the last offseason

You could take any team in the league and look at the roster and come up with a similar list of areas of weakness for that team. No team is perfect, and all teams have flaws or areas that could use upgrades. You will never have a team that has no question marks at a few spots, or a couple areas that need improvements.

If you can't sit back and just enjoy the season with hope and optimisum at the start of the year, then you should really just give up on watching the sport and go find something in life to enjoy. Its only a game, and if you can't enjoy even the bad times with your team, you need to realise that theres more to life out there

1. I don't give a crap about hockey or the Sabres, and have absolutely no respect for posts that somehow connect them to the Bills. That's just stupid.

2. Football Outsiders is smarter than you, and more objective. They have the Bills at 9.7 wins - 7th in the NFL and 3rd in the AFC.

3. In fact, most national sources also have them at or near the playoffs.

In other words, you have to go out of your way to be down on them right now. Why? Do you hate your life (along with the Sabres) so much?

For the umpteenth time...I am excited and optimistic about the coming season. Is it that hard to understand that I'm optimistic, yet still guarding my enthusiasm to a certain degree after so many years of disappointment - and not just the last 12 either.

My Sabres analogy is a valid one. It could have been any sports team following the same blueprint of pouring money into star free agents with mixed results. A few years ago (during Deion days) the Redskins tried and failed with this approach. I'm convinced it's really about team chemistry, including coaching, more than the number of all-pros that make a championship team.

Now to the point about Football Outsiders....I don't much care what any "professional" prognosticator writes. it's only their opinion and nothing more. All you have to do is pull out your old issues and compare their predictions to what actually transpired in that season. They're rarely correct and their predictions aren't any better than yours or mine.

So...they have the Bills at 9.7 wins and that'll be 3rd in the AFC? And yet you think they're "smarter than me"?

The theme that everyone apparently missed of the OP was that I'm not as prepared as many of you to heap unending praise on Nix (and the Bills FO) until I see the desired results. Have they made what appear to be great moves? YES!

But the proof is in the pudding. When those moves translate into wins, then I'm a happy camper. I'm not pessimistic, pissed off, disappointed, skeptical, a negative Ned or anything else. Very pleased with the moves so far. But I'm hardly content and won't be ready to celebrate until those preliminary moves equal playoffs. Seems everyone replying in this thread, except for few, are having trouble understanding my initial sentiment, which is not one of negativity, but of reserving my judgement and praise until the off-season moves bare fruit in the post season.

Dude, if you're content with a 9-10 win season, your expectations are a lot lower than mine. So go ahead and award Buddy and Co the key to the city for that wonderful accomplishment. ps- by any chance, were you a musician?

Edited by SouthernMan

For the umpteenth time...I am excited and optimistic about the coming season.

My Sabres analogy is a valid one. It could have been any sports team following the same blueprint of pouring money into star free agents with mixed results. A few years ago (during Deion days) the Redskins tried and failed with this approach. I'm convinced it's really about team chemistry, including coaching, more than the number of all-pros that make a championship team.

Now to the point about Football Outsiders....I don't much care what any "professional" prognosticator writes. it's only their opinion and nothing more. All you have to do is pull out your old issues and compare their predictions to what actually transpired in that season. They're rarely correct and their predictions aren't any better than yours or mine.

So...they have the Bills at 9.7 wins and that'll be 3rd in the AFC? And yet you think they're "smarter than me"?

The theme that everyone apparently missed of the OP was that I'm not as prepared as many of you to heap unending praise on Nix (and the Bills FO) until I see the desired results. Have they made what appear to be great moves? YES!

But the proof is in the pudding. When those moves translate into wins, then I'm a happy camper. I'm not pessimistic, pissed off, disappointed, skeptical, a negative Ned or anything else. Very pleased with the moves so far. But I'm hardly content and won't be ready to celebrate until those preliminary moves equal playoffs. Seems everyone replying in this thread, except for few, are having trouble understanding my initial sentiment, which is not one of negativity, but of reserving my judgement and praise until the off-season moves bare fruit in the post season.

Dude, if you're content with a 9-10 win season, your expectations are a lot lower than mine. So go ahead and award Buddy and Co the key to the city for that wonderful accomplishment. ps- by any chance, were you a musician?

So 9-10 wins, our first winning season in years would be bad. Got it.

So 9-10 wins, our first winning season in years would be bad. Got it.

Only if it is good enough for the playoffs. Every year not making the playoffs is a bad year in reality, and for this team in the 3rd season of Chan and 3rd of Fitz to not make the playoffs is a bad season.

How is the high lighted not Chan and Buddy's fault. Granted they saw the problem and addressed in but it was still a problem they created that set us back!

Would it have been better if they didnt address the problem?

It does not help to blow things up immediately when you THINK you see a problem.....if you keep doing that it just starts a cycle of always starting over......

Nix and Gailey have been slow and methodical about this......they had a 3 year plan and they stuck to it....they drafted players that they knew might take a while to get it together.......how about bringing in the young front office person from Pittsburg? They slowly brought Wanny into the situation. Slow and steady.

Were mistakes made along the way? Sure......is this happening more slowly then any of us would like? You bet.

But here we are....about to start a season with the best defensive talent in years......depth, speed, size....everywhere.....a proven DC? Yes.....

Lets do this

Only if it is good enough for the playoffs. Every year not making the playoffs is a bad year in reality, and for this team in the 3rd season of Chan and 3rd of Fitz to not make the playoffs is a bad season.

I know the feeling...you have not had a winning post since you came to the board....and every post you make is a bad one....followed by another one.

In most cases of optimism around here, I would agree with the OP. In fact, I agree with the majority of what was said. But there are three reasons why I really am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.

D-Line - On paper or not, we know that we now have one of the best D-Lines in the league. That's just a fact. The ramifications of that is huge as we've seen what the Giants can do with their line. This line is going to make everyone else seem a notch better than they are.

Running Game - We only have FJax last season. Now, we have both him and Spiller. Gailey proved he can make any line look good with his offensive style, and we have one of the best tandems in the league. If we actually set the game up with the run, Fitz won't have to sling it as much.

Schedule - Yes, our road streches are crap, but outside of that, I don't think a fan could have written a better schedule for a team to win.

Injuries aside, I am hoping to see our LB and CB's take the next step. If they don't, we won't be worse than last year. If they DO make the step up, then we are going to see a completely different team. I am concerned about the lack of 2nd WR. But, if any of these guys can step up at all next to Stevie or TJ can really be on the field and just run deep every play, I'll be curious to see. But with our backs, I want to see a 65% mix run.

Just thoughts...

In most cases of optimism around here, I would agree with the OP. In fact, I agree with the majority of what was said. But there are three reasons why I really am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.

D-Line - On paper or not, we know that we now have one of the best D-Lines in the league. That's just a fact. The ramifications of that is huge as we've seen what the Giants can do with their line. This line is going to make everyone else seem a notch better than they are.

Running Game - We only have FJax last season. Now, we have both him and Spiller. Gailey proved he can make any line look good with his offensive style, and we have one of the best tandems in the league. If we actually set the game up with the run, Fitz won't have to sling it as much.

Schedule - Yes, our road streches are crap, but outside of that, I don't think a fan could have written a better schedule for a team to win.

Injuries aside, I am hoping to see our LB and CB's take the next step. If they don't, we won't be worse than last year. If they DO make the step up, then we are going to see a completely different team. I am concerned about the lack of 2nd WR. But, if any of these guys can step up at all next to Stevie or TJ can really be on the field and just run deep every play, I'll be curious to see. But with our backs, I want to see a 65% mix run.

Just thoughts...

Derek, I think you used the term I probably should have from the get go - "cautiously optimistic". In a nutshell, that's the gist of what I was saying. Thank you.

To the writer in previous post who would be happy with a 9-10 victory "winning season"...I feel sorry for you. Didn't the Bills have a 9-win season under Mike Mularkey? Ahhh....those glory days.

Having low expectations must be some genetic flaw from native Buffalonians. Sad.

Derek, I think you used the term I probably should have from the get go - "cautiously optimistic". In a nutshell, that's the gist of what I was saying. Thank you.

To the writer in previous post who would be happy with a 9-10 victory "winning season"...I feel sorry for you. Didn't the Bills have a 9-win season under Mike Mularkey? Ahhh....those glory days.

Having low expectations must be some genetic flaw from native Buffalonians. Sad.

Yeah, winning records suck.

I think it goes without saying everyone wants to win every game, but nobody with a brain is going to jump off a bridge and scream for everyone to be fired if we go 10-6.

Edited by biglukes

I think it goes without saying everyone wants to win every game, but nobody with a brain is going to jump off a bridge and scream for everyone to be fired if we go 10-6.

Hmmmm. Not so sure about that. I have seen several posts here that had a "playoffs or bust" feel to them.

I guess you could apply the "with a brain" caveat in your statement though ;)

I personally would be happy with 10 wins this season. Playoffs or not. I still think there is a fair amount of work to do on the offense next off season. The season after this is when I will be looking for heads to roll if the Bills do not get into the playoffs, and if they don't play pretty late into January.

Running Game - We only have FJax last season. Now, we have both him and Spiller.

Man there are some people on here who saw a lot more in Spiller last season than I did.

I hope you are right :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

When you guys were single did you ever go out with that girl that was the emotional blackhole sucking the life out of you with negativity about everything? Thanks for the reminder Southern Man.

It's August. Cautious can also mean you just want to say I told you so when we suck again, but I don't think that is going to happen.

This team, FO, and Coaching is different than the maroons we've had in the driver's seat with a quick fix every two years, and we have better talent than we've had in years. Can anyone say for several years, "hey we can win it all with any seriousness" No is correct, but we look in every way like we're getting better, and no maybe not SB, but how about a run at the playoffs, splitting with Pats, and Jets this year, and a double digit season.

Again, as is the yearly tradition, Bills fans are ever hopeful and some actually believing the Bills will be a team to be reckoned with in 2012. Maybe they will be, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bills fans are the Charlie Browns of NFL fans. We keep attempting to kick the football held by Lucy, believing "this time I'll really kick it".

I'm always hearing the words "on paper". The proof is in the pudding. Unless a couple players really step up or there are some surprise breakout players or free agents, the Bills still have weaknesses that teams contending for the Lombardi trophy don't usually have.

Wideouts - still need a complimentary receiver for S Johnson.

Linebacking is average at best

Corners - plenty of potential, but still green

O-Line - LT spot still not settled. Don't expect Glenn to step in and be anything more than average as a rookie

QB - Fitz is smart and a team leader. He's still a journeyman QB. When I see one complete season of top tier QB play out of him, I'll be totally on board with him. For now, he's Frank Reich 2.0. - serviceable and able to win some games. Where's our Jim Kelly?

If the Bills can stay healthy - and that's a big if - they are probably an 8-10 win team. Does anyone really believe the Bills are capable of winning 12 games or more? The real question to be answered is can they finish strong? (as the Giants did in 2011).

"On paper" Nix has done a good job, but to quote the man himself, "show me the baby". I'll reserve my valentine's wishes to Buddy when I'm still watching live Bills games well into January.

Good honest concerning questions, though don't agree with all of your assessments.

1. D. Bell was average at best. The bar to exceed his play is low enough that both Hairston and Glenn shoulld be able to offer better play at that position.

2. Having a unique 2nd WR is not required in this offense. The Patriots on their successful SB wins never had a marquee name at the WR position but collectively had the right people to play the position.

The key to the Bills success is the revamped defense. If they can improve stopping the Run and stopping the passing game in the Redzone, they will be much improved. The Bills are going into the season with the expectation to play GREAT defense, Run the Ball and protect the football. The game is not in the hands of Ryan Fitzpatrick (And if Chan Gailey does put the game in Ryan's hands, then he should be fired at the end of the season, for ignoring the strengths of this team).

For this team to be successful, the bigger questions are recovery from a bunch of Season Ending Injuries at key positions.

1. Is Eric Wood recovered from his injury and ready to play at the All-Pro level prior to his injury

2. Can Fred Jackson come back from his foot injury and be the same as he was leading the NFL in rushing yards prior to his season ending injury.

3. Can Williams come back fully healed from his Pectoral Muscle tear and avoid the injury bug this season

4. Can we get pass rush in a wave (Will Merriman and Kelsay be able to put the same pressure coming in as substitutes?)

We now have the players. Can they execute..that is the big question.

How many Bills games did you watch last year?

SJ,

Spillers Stats from the games that he started.

Att/Yards/TD

Week 12 Jets - 19/55/0

Week 13 Titans- 14/83/1 (Had a good game, but Gailey forgot to run him in the 2nd half in spite of the 1st half success)

Week 14 San Diego 12/46/0

Week 15 Miami 12/91/1

Week 16 Denver 16/111/1

Week 17 Pats 13/60/0

In 6 starts, he went over 100 yards in 1 game and scored TDs in 3 of the 6 games. In three games he averaged under 4 YPC. I see an average performance over that period of time and a potential to improve. The biggest problem I saw last season (Watched all the games live on TV) was the Coaches not trusting Spiller with the ball and putting it in the hands of Fitzpatrick in spite of his Rib injury. Can Spiller over come that and gain the trust of his coaches to execute the game plan.

When you guys were single did you ever go out with that girl that was the emotional blackhole sucking the life out of you with negativity about everything? Thanks for the reminder Southern Man.

It's August. Cautious can also mean you just want to say I told you so when we suck again, but I don't think that is going to happen.

This team, FO, and Coaching is different than the maroons we've had in the driver's seat with a quick fix every two years, and we have better talent than we've had in years. Can anyone say for several years, "hey we can win it all with any seriousness" No is correct, but we look in every way like we're getting better, and no maybe not SB, but how about a run at the playoffs, splitting with Pats, and Jets this year, and a double digit season.

Nix has done a good job of filling the roster with Talent (except for the 1st draft).

The doubts on Chan to build a winner is still Valid. Can Wannestdt have the same success as in Dallas and Chicago with the defense. Chan stopped running the ball many times in the 2nd half of last season in spite of close games. He did not put the ball in the hands of Spiller and rather chose to ride the arm of Fitzpatrick when he was playing with his 3rd Center and no 2nd WR (and an injury to boot). The Special teams were very ordinary. Can Chan, Dave and Bruce build a team together is the big question.

SJ,

Spillers Stats from the games that he started.

Att/Yards/TD

Week 12 Jets - 19/55/0

Week 13 Titans- 14/83/1 (Had a good game, but Gailey forgot to run him in the 2nd half in spite of the 1st half success)

Week 14 San Diego 12/46/0

Week 15 Miami 12/91/1

Week 16 Denver 16/111/1

Week 17 Pats 13/60/0

In 6 starts, he went over 100 yards in 1 game and scored TDs in 3 of the 6 games. In three games he averaged under 4 YPC. I see an average performance over that period of time and a potential to improve. The biggest problem I saw last season (Watched all the games live on TV) was the Coaches not trusting Spiller with the ball and putting it in the hands of Fitzpatrick in spite of his Rib injury. Can Spiller over come that and gain the trust of his coaches to execute the game plan.

Nix has done a good job of filling the roster with Talent (except for the 1st draft).

The doubts on Chan to build a winner is still Valid. Can Wannestdt have the same success as in Dallas and Chicago with the defense. Chan stopped running the ball many times in the 2nd half of last season in spite of close games. He did not put the ball in the hands of Spiller and rather chose to ride the arm of Fitzpatrick when he was playing with his 3rd Center and no 2nd WR (and an injury to boot). The Special teams were very ordinary. Can Chan, Dave and Bruce build a team together is the big question.

Blasphemy!!! Ganesh, How dare you raise those questions and concerns? You should pledge full allegience to The Bills brass knowing that the off season moves will get us to Bills Nation promised land....9 or 10 wins!!! I can hardly wait. ;)