Bills Depth

After the draft I started to think about the prospective roster and the potential cuts. Now with the cutting of Florence, it got me thinking about what an upgrade this roster is over the past decade. When is the last time the Bills had cut multiple players (not FA, or trade), that were deemed valuable by other teams?

And I am not talking about 'playbook' pick-ups...

After the draft I started to think about the prospective roster and the potential cuts. Now with the cutting of Florence, it got me thinking about what an upgrade this roster is over the past decade. When is the last time the Bills had cut multiple players (not FA, or trade), that were deemed valuable by other teams?

And I am not talking about 'playbook' pick-ups...

The Bills had six players who will make big dollars but might only be backups (Kelsay, Merriman, Edwards, Spencer Johnson, McGee, and Florence) I expected at least three to be let go this year- McGee got himself an extra year by redoing his contract. So expect at least two more big cuts.

The Bills had six players who will make big dollars but might only be backups (Kelsay, Merriman, Edwards, Spencer Johnson, McGee, and Florence) I expected at least three to be let go this year- McGee got himself an extra year by redoing his contract. So expect at least two more big cuts.

I would like to see Thigpen gone. he's not exactly getting paid chump change.

So Ralph isn't cheap?

All kidding aside, the original poster is correct. The Bills do have an upgrade of talent at many positions. Before the Bills were maybe overpaying some for guys that were fringe starters. It seems that the culture is changin gin Buffalo. A winning season and playoff birth will help with that too. Could you imagine if in a year or two Buffalo is playing Detroit in the SB? Ha

Excellent post. :thumbsup: Never thought of that.

Also, just noticed ALL six players are on the defense, which appears to be the bulk of the rebuilding effort.

Florence is gone. I expect Edwards and Johnson to be gone. It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility for all six to be gone before the season opener.

I definitely believe Edwards will be cut and maybe Johnson. I think that depends on how Carrington looks at DT. However I feel that McGee, Kelsay and Merriman are probably safe.

BIG DOLLARS!!! lol not thinking that any of the guys you listed are making the big bucks. In todays NFL 3-4 million a year is far from big bucks.

2000. Bruce, Andre, Thurman.

I definitely believe Edwards will be cut and maybe Johnson. I think that depends on how Carrington looks at DT. However I feel that McGee, Kelsay and Merriman are probably safe.

Agreed. IIRC Merriman cap savings by cutting him would be very small.

:thumbsup:

I would like to see Thigpen gone. he's not exactly getting paid chump change.

This.

It seems to me Miami and a couple other teams have too many QB after the draft, including QBs that have a track record of being servicable or better as starters. Moore or Garrard - will Mia really keep both, plus Tannehill, plus Devlin?

Will Dallas really keep 4 QB on a roster which includes Romo and Orton? Will the Texans keep

I'd be happy with Moor Expect better quality QB to hit the FA market in the next couple months.

I'm thinking Thiggy better "look good in shorts" - very good - otherwise if one of the QB prospects is a fast study who looks exciting or a better option hits the waiver wire, Thiggy be GONE.

I'm personally hoping his Twitter indiscretion (tweeting about betting on a sporting event, which is a violation of an NFL rule) may hasten his departure.

"A diner while dining in Crewe, found quite a large rat in his stew. Said the waiter don't shout, or wave it about, or the rest will be wanting one too!"

(if you're gonna break a rule, don't publicize that happening)

Agreed. IIRC Merriman cap savings by cutting him would be very small.

Or none at all since his contract is fully guaranteed

If I recall, brad smith is making a pretty penny. And his performance doesn't seem to match his cost.

Brad Smith can play about 6 positions. That alone makes him worth his paycheck

I would not be surprised to see any of Merriman, Kelsay, Johnson, or Edwards released eventually. But I dont think it will be before regular cuts.

Buddy spent the last 2.5 years developing depth at DL. We finally have that depth. I dont think they will tear it down before they get a chance to compete and determine the very best DL group possible.

JMHO.