Junior Seau Dead @ 43

I can't believe the Mods froze the Mama Seau thread.

Not every thread needs to be 8 pages. How do you guys determine what needs its own thread or not? Why not just make one giant thread called "football?" One was about the breaking news. Another was a heartfelt post on his mom. Good grief.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh jeez, now the captain is gonna be unbearable to deal with him...way to stroke his ego :devil:

seriously though, I am glad you came out on the other side!

This isn't the first time I've mentioned (and I'm not fishing for sympathy) but a few years back I was pretty close to committing suicide. It's a hard thing to describe, but you definitely rationalize that your loved ones will eventually be better without you in the picture.

With the benefit of hindsight, I realize that my family (my Mom especially) would have been beyond the point of devastation. They were in tears when I finally exposed what I almost did. But damn...sometimes you truly can't see the forest for the trees.

And to be quite honest, the voice that made me step back from the ledge didn't say "STOP! It will hurt your family." It said "STOP! There's so much left to accomplish". I suppose I can see the 'selfish' angle. I certainly wasn't thinking of others.

Not every thread needs to be 8 pages. How do you guys determine what needs its own thread or not? Why not just make one giant thread called "football?" One was about the breaking news. Another was a heartfelt post on his mom. Good grief.

Thanks, I totally agree but it's because I'm not one of Simon's favorite posters. He threaten to ban me years ago when he thought that I was using other user names and that I was a troll. Truth be told was that my friend/boss is a Miami fan and was putting in false rumors, sensationalism etc on the same computer system at work. He wouldn't believe a word that I was saying and at the time I didn't want to ray out my friend. Ever since then I never felt that I got a fair shake out of this guy. Man, that felt good to get that out after all these years! Lol!

Spot on. This is why I rarely post anything on this board anymore. If you don't have the time to spend reviewing dozens of previous posts, you'll likely get yelled at.

I understand it is against the rules to complain about threads being locked, but I passionately agree that the thread in question should not have been closed. There needs to be leeway given in certain situations.

I think it is appropriate to remind everyone that suicide can be prevented.

While some suicides occur without any outward warning, most people who are suicidal do give warnings. Prevent the suicide of loved ones by learning to recognize the signs of someone at risk, taking those signs seriously and knowing how to respond to them.

Warning signs of suicide include:

Observable signs of serious depression:

•  
  • Unrelenting low mood
  • Pessimism
  • Hopelessness
  • Desperation
  • Anxiety, psychic pain and inner tension
  • Withdrawal
  • Sleep problems
  • Increased alcohol and/or other drug use
  • Recent impulsiveness and taking unnecessary risks
  • Threatening suicide or expressing a strong wish to die

Making a plan:

•  
  • Giving away prized possessions
  • Sudden or impulsive purchase of a firearm
  • Obtaining other means of killing oneself such as poisons or medications

Unexpected rage or anger

The emotional crises that usually precede suicide are often recognizable and treatable. Although most depressed people are not suicidal, most suicidal people are depressed. Serious depression can be manifested in obvious sadness, but often it is rather expressed as a loss of pleasure or withdrawal from activities that had been enjoyable. One can help prevent suicide through early recognition and treatment of depression and other psychiatric illnesses.

In listening/reading the discussion about Seau's death and the death's of others I'm wondering if the head injuries are actually the cause or just a contributing factor. I'm not trying to minimize or mitigate the damage that a few hundred thousand high force collisions may have had but I can't help but wonder if there aren't other forces at work.

Professional athletes are in many ways, modern day gladiators. Their entire lives have been spent getting ready for and competing at the highest levels. Some have long careers, others have their careers cut short due to injuries ect. They live lives of fame, testosterone and adrenaline. Then one inevitable day it's all gone. Sure some of the fame is still there but they're not running onto a field surrounded by 70k fans or skating onto the ice with 40k screaming hockey fans. The emotional dropoff alone has to be a massive burden.

I wonder, are there biochemical or neurological changes that a professional athlete undergoes when they retire?

In listening/reading the discussion about Seau's death and the death's of others I'm wondering if the head injuries are actually the cause or just a contributing factor. I'm not trying to minimize or mitigate the damage that a few hundred thousand high force collisions may have had but I can't help but wonder if there aren't other forces at work.

Professional athletes are in many ways, modern day gladiators. Their entire lives have been spent getting ready for and competing at the highest levels. Some have long careers, others have their careers cut short due to injuries ect. They live lives of fame, testosterone and adrenaline. Then one inevitable day it's all gone. Sure some of the fame is still there but they're not running onto a field surrounded by 70k fans or skating onto the ice with 40k screaming hockey fans. The emotional dropoff alone has to be a massive burden.

I wonder, are there biochemical or neurological changes that a professional athlete undergoes when they retire?

I wonder about this too. Especially following a long career, suddenly becoming "yesterday's news" after all the hard work must be a difficult sensation.

People remember your name, but they're ultimately interested in the guys still on the field. If you don't have enough other interests to keep you busy, I have no doubt this could be the source of depression.

oh jeez, now the captain is gonna be unbearable to deal with him...way to stroke his ego :devil:

seriously though, I am glad you came out on the other side!

Thanks, Pooj.

And don't worry about the Captain. He'll always be Hamdan's Revenge to us, anyway. :P

I understand it is against the rules to complain about threads being locked, but I passionately agree that the thread in question should not have been closed. There needs to be leeway given in certain situations.

While some suicides occur without any outward warning, most people who are suicidal do give warnings. Prevent the suicide of loved ones by learning to recognize the signs of someone at risk, taking those signs seriously and knowing how to respond to them.

•  
  • Unrelenting low mood
  • Pessimism
  • Hopelessness
  • Desperation
  • Withdrawal
  • Sleep problems

Making a plan:

•  

Unexpected rage or anger

The emotional crises that usually precede suicide are often recognizable and treatable. Although most depressed people are not suicidal, most suicidal people are depressed. Serious depression can be manifested in obvious sadness, but often it is rather expressed as a loss of pleasure or withdrawal from activities that had been enjoyable. One can help prevent suicide through early recognition and treatment of depression and other psychiatric illnesses.

Thanks to all who have opened up on a very serious topic. We have lost posters on this board to suicide, and I work at a large university where we seem to deal with this tragic issue fairly regularly. Hopefully the fact that we are discussing it and recognizing it as a preventable situation and recognize mental illness as the disease that it is, we can continue to work to lessen these tragic situations.

Thanks to all who have opened up on a very serious topic. We have lost posters on this board to suicide, and I work at a large university where we seem to deal with this tragic issue fairly regularly. Hopefully the fact that we are discussing it and recognizing it as a preventable situation and recognize mental illness as the disease that it is, we can continue to work to lessen these tragic situations.

My hearts go out to Junior Seau's family, friends and fans. It has been very difficult hearing and seeing a number of my childhood heroes going through some of the emotions my family and I went through when we lost our mother two years ago. I so hope and pray that this tragedy leads more people to openly discuss mental illness, brain injuries and suicide prevention. My family is holding a charity walk in Fairport (just outside of Rochester) later this month with that exact goal.

Edited by scribo

I wonder about this too. Especially following a long career, suddenly becoming "yesterday's news" after all the hard work must be a difficult sensation.

People remember your name, but they're ultimately interested in the guys still on the field. If you don't have enough other interests to keep you busy, I have no doubt this could be the source of depression.

Thanks, Pooj.

And don't worry about the Captain. He'll always be Hamdan's Revenge to us, anyway. :P

In Hindsight that was a great name :oops:

It's just a contributing factor. No one is ever going to try to make the claim that the head injures are the direct cause. Well, no one who is reasonable anyway. Short of some condition caused by a specific gene, just about every medical condition is based on a collection of factors. All those plates of french fries didn't cause that heart attack, but they definitely didn't help.

Too often people want to say that since something isn't the main cause, there's no reason to deal with it. If we can make steps towards correcting this problem, then we can move on and go after those other causes as well.

And yes, that emotional drop off you mentioned probably does have a big impact on certain people. It makes you wonder though why it hits some so much harder than others.

In Hindsight that was a great name :oops:

Wait, did Hamdan actually get his revenge?

My hearts go out to Junior Seau's family, friends and fans. It has been very difficult hearing and seeing a number of my childhood heroes going through some of the emotions my family and I went through when we lost our mother two years ago. I so hope and pray that this tragedy leads more people to openly discuss mental illness, brain injuries and suicide prevention. My family is holding a charity walk in Fairport (just outside of Rochester) later this month with that exact goal.

Kudos for taking action to make the world a better place.

•  
  • Unrelenting low mood
  • Pessimism
  • Hopelessness
  • Desperation
  • Withdrawal
  • Sleep problems

Making a plan:

•  

Unexpected rage or anger

Thanks, any advice on how to differentiate the observable signs to being seriously depressed or to being a bills fan?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Thanks, any advice on how to differentiate the observable signs to being serioualy depressed or to being a bills fan?

When you're a Bills fan, there is always next season.

This isn't the first time I've mentioned (and I'm not fishing for sympathy) but a few years back I was pretty close to committing suicide. It's a hard thing to describe, but you definitely rationalize that your loved ones will eventually be better without you in the picture.

With the benefit of hindsight, I realize that my family (my Mom especially) would have been beyond the point of devastation. They were in tears when I finally exposed what I almost did. But damn...sometimes you truly can't see the forest for the trees.

And to be quite honest, the voice that made me step back from the ledge didn't say "STOP! It will hurt your family." It said "STOP! There's so much left to accomplish". I suppose I can see the 'selfish' angle. I certainly wasn't thinking of others.

When I was in my early 20s, I also considered suicide. I read all sorts of depressing literature (e.g. The Sorrows of Young Werther) to reinforce and justify my depression and the decision to kill myself. I got so far as to put a .22 in my mouth when a vision of my weeping mother made me give up the thought.

30 years later, I do now consider suicide stupid and selfish. I would never consider it. I'm a completely different person now, and thankfully so. But despite calling suicide "stupid" and "selfish," I can only empathize for Seau. Despite all his fame and money (or perhaps partly because of it), he was obviously in a very bad place. Too bad someone couldn't have reached them there and pulled him out. If Junior could have resisted the urge to pull the trigger, he would have eventually realized the error of that kind of thinking and become a better, happier man.

I'm torn on this issue. As some have stated I feel suicide is the most selfish thing someone can do. It is also a cowardly thing to do. While the person committing suicide may be at peace they leave behind a trail of wreckage. The so called easy way out is only for the person that commits the act. Family and friends are left to pick up the pieces wondering how they didn't see it coming and what they could have done to prevent it. I have had a friend a friend commit suicide more than 2 years ago and I'm still mad at him. His close friends are still a mess. His family is still a mess. I've had a family member attempt it and I still worry to this day that they may try again someday. It is a terrible terrible selfish and cowardly act.

The reason I'm torn is because the people that commit this act feel like it is their only option and that the world would be better for it. Thank you for those that have shared your story. Although I carry a lot of anger towards those that have I also am empathetic to their plight. I can only imagine what it must be like to think that death is your only way out. I have never been there. I just hope those that feel that way can remember their family and friends. Knowing that anyone who would be hurt by their action is someone they should call and talk with, lean on, and use for strength.

Edited by section122

I'm torn on this issue. As some have stated I feel suicide is the most selfish thing someone can do. It is also a cowardly thing to do. While the person committing suicide may be at peace they leave behind a trail of wreckage. The so called easy way out is only for the person that commits the act. Family and friends are left to pick up the pieces wondering how they didn't see it coming and what they could have done to prevent it. I have had a friend a friend commit suicide more than 2 years ago and I'm still mad at him. His close friends are still a mess. His family is still a mess. I've had a family member attempt it and I still worry to this day that they may try again someday. It is a terrible terrible selfish and cowardly act.

The reason I'm torn is because the people that commit this act feel like it is their only option and that the world would be better for it. Thank you for those that have shared your story. Although I carry a lot of anger towards those that have I also am empathetic to their plight. I can only imagine what it must be like to think that death is your only way out. I have never been there. I just hope those that feel that way can remember their family and friends. Knowing that anyone who would be hurt by their action is someone they should call and talk with, lean on, and use for strength.

Anger is a common and natural feeling after a suicide. But because suicide is often poorly understood, those left behind may feel the suicide is somehow shameful, or that they or their family are somehow to blame for this tragedy.

But people need to know that 90 percent of all people who die by suicide have a diagnosable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death (most often depression or bipolar disorder). Just as people can die of heart disease or cancer, people can die as a consequence of mental illness. Try to bear in mind that suicide is almost always complicated, resulting from a combination of painful suffering, desperate hopelessness and underlying psychiatric illness.

Expressing your opinion is not "picking a fight" It's just my point of view. Should I get all gushy about Seau[Who frankly I could give a crap about] so I fit in in with the professional mourners?

But of course you are properly upset, So I am a heartless Dick.

Watch this then:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/sports/2012/05/02/bts-seau-mother-press-conference.kswb

All of your comments should be cleaned up. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by BmoreBills