Alex Tanney - QB Monmouth.

PIZ

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy's stats look alright. Who knows how many takes those tricks took though? If he looks alright at the minicamp, I trust our coaches to make the call.

On an ESPN interview he said about 5 or 6 attempts for each trick on average, with the exception of the ones bounced off the net...those took more. He said the ones thru the basketball nets were the easiest. All in all, it doesn't look like he struggled too much to put that video together. I'm glad we're givin' him a shot.

Christ, I just looked at Tanney's stats for 2011 and they're sick. Over 71% completions, 10 yds/attempt, 38/8 TD/INT, a hair under 4000 yards. At 6'3" 220 why is he not worth a look? Glad they're bringing him in for a tryout.

This.

As far as I'm concerned, Alex Tanney is the perfect UDFA signing! :thumbsup: Sure he's a risk. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have been available as a UDFA. All UDFAs are going to have serious question marks associated with them. You look for UDFAs with a lot of upside to offset that risk. After watching that video, I can definitely see the upside! :) Also, his raw throwing talent did translate into production, albeit against lesser competition. I'd like to see how he does when both his supporting cast and his opposition are much better than had been the case at his DIII school.

I also feel that if, after training camp, the Bills are on the fence about this guy, they should err on the side of giving him a roster spot. Even if Tanney doesn't work out, odds are he won't be that much worse than Tyler Thigpen. On the other hand, Tanney had a lot more potential upside than Thigpen! :)

Edit: according to the description of the video, "Alex is now the All Time - ALL Division Leader in TD's Thrown (157) and the DIII All Time Leader in passing yards 14,249 yards." If the Jaguars could use a third round pick on a punter, how come no one felt it necessary to use even a seventh round pick on this guy? :huh: I'm glad the situation seems to have worked out for the Bills' benefit, but a bit puzzled by how someone like this goes undrafted in the first place.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Do you have any non-suicidal or homicidal friends?

I would say not enough of the latter...

Now girls.....it was a simple question I asked. But where are my manners? I will get back on script...

This is great news!

No, if YOU want that, you take Kellen Moore. To be clear.

You still haven't answered the question of why it's a BAD idea to bring the kid in. Oh, that's right, you're probably busy emptying your bladder in other threads.

Sorry, REALLY had to empty the ol' bladder!

I did answer it. I said if you want an accurate QB with real credentials, you take Moore. Whether taking the trick shot kid is or is not "a bad thing" is immaterial.

I heard the knock on him is arm strength, touch, accuracy, and unwillingness to take chances.

Sounds like Trent Edwards to me.

Edited by Juror#8

I heard the knock on him is arm strength, touch, accuracy, and unwillingness to take chances.

Seriously? Or is my sarcasm detector busted? He has immense touch and accuracy. He didn't throw that many ropes in games, but he still killed it week in and week out. Oh, the videos show crazy accuracy.

You heard the knock on him is accuracy? :o I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that accuracy does not seem to be a significant issue with this particular quarterback.

While he had abundant success at his Division III school, I'm curious about whether that success came from throwing to his primary receiver, or whether he was able to see the field quickly and throw to his second or third targets.

Seriously? Or is my sarcasm detector busted? He has immense touch and accuracy. He didn't throw that many ropes in games, but he still killed it week in and week out. Oh, the videos show crazy accuracy.

NFL velocity is gonna be hard for this kid, IMO. You can't throw too many rainbows on 20-yard outs or seam routes--DBs are just too good at this level...

NFL velocity is gonna be hard for this kid, IMO. You can't throw too many rainbows on 20-yard outs or seam routes--DBs are just too good at this level...

I'm not sure about his arm strength as far as that goes. The videos and highlights I have seen, on the long balls the guys were wide open and he made it easy for them to catch. I'm not sure either way whether it is an indication that he throws rainbows or not. On the trick shot video, he seemed to throw 60 yards in the air with relative ease. It SEEMS as if he has plenty of arm strength. Some of those throws he made in the trick shot looked like ropes. Like the one into the speeding pick-up truck pulling away from him.

I'm not sure about that. For the most part it shows incredible skill at hitting non-moving objects without those objects being obstructed. And he wasn't doing it from a drop, out of a shotgun, or from under center. Or with anyone putting pressure on him.

That said, he did what he had to do at his college level to convince pro teams to give him a shot. I hope he makes the most of it. Stranger things have happened and it would be one helluva story.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure about that. For the most part it shows incredible skill at hitting non-moving objects without those objects being obstructed. And he wasn't doing it from a drop, out of a shotgun, or from under center. Or with anyone putting pressure on him.

That said, he did what he had to do at his college level to convince pro teams to give him a shot. I hope he makes the most of it. Stranger things have happened and it would be one helluva story.

GO BILLS!!!

You gotta be able to hit the targets standing still before you can hit them moving. But his stats show he was highly effective when they were moving. Sure, they weren't moving at the speeds the DIV I prospects were hitting, but that's why he has to come in and really prove himself this weekend. It is a fun time of the year.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by scribo

GO BILLS!!!

He hit a guy sitting in a truck going 40-50 MPH about 40-50 yards from him. He hit a guy sitting in a truck from an open second story window as the truck passed going 35 mph or so. And he nailed two kids on bicycles in the back from a second story balcony. LOL. What more coud you want hitting moving targets. ;)

I'm not sure about his arm strength as far as that goes. The videos and highlights I have seen, on the long balls the guys were wide open and he made it easy for them to catch. I'm not sure either way whether it is an indication that he throws rainbows or not. On the trick shot video, he seemed to throw 60 yards in the air with relative ease. It SEEMS as if he has plenty of arm strength. Some of those throws he made in the trick shot looked like ropes. Like the one into the speeding pick-up truck pulling away from him.

I watched a Monmouth game highlight package where I got the rainbow impression. Every throw was an arc dropped into the hands of his receiver, rather than gunned into a tight window. It may well have been due to the quality (or lack thereof) of his WRs and/or the DBs, however.

He was pretty impressive on medium (10-15 yard) fade routes into the corner of the endzone, which are throws similar to many of his trick shots (i.e., throwing it into a garbage can)...

I watched a Monmouth game highlight package where I got the rainbow impression. Every throw was an arc dropped into the hands of his receiver, rather than gunned into a tight window. It may well have been due to the quality (or lack thereof) of his WRs and/or the DBs, however.

He was pretty impressive on medium (10-15 yard) fade routes into the corner of the endzone, which are throws similar to many of his trick shots (i.e., throwing it into a garbage can)...

I think I watched that same highlight package. But I got the impression he just threw the ball that needed to be thrown for the completion. I used to have this argument with people about Andrew Luck who said he didn't have a good arm. He changes up his throws depending on the specific play, and when he needs to gun it he guns it. When guys are wide open or he is leading them a lot, it looks like he lofts it but it is the easiest ball to catch. I'm NOT in any way making Andrew Luck comparisons to Alex Tanney. It is only to say a couple of those long balls that seemed like rainbows dropped right into the hands of open guys and maybe he just throws it like that when they are wide open. The trick shot video showed a strong arm with no rainbow, except a couple of the goalpost throws. Who knows though, you may be absolutely right, we have little to go on. I doubt he even makes it through pre-season but it would be fun if he does. He's a perfect kind of PS player.