Fred Jackson contract next on horizon

I love Fred. I want him to end his career with the Bills. The only issue that he has is his age and the market for running backs in this day and age. On the flip side, he has a lot fewer miles on him and is a high character guy and team leader.

I love Fred. I want him to end his career with the Bills. The only issue that he has is his age and the market for running backs in this day and age. On the flip side, he has a lot fewer miles on him and is a high character guy and team leader.

95% or more of contracts are for the future. What are you worth to us in the next 1-5 or more years based on what you have done in the recent past for us, or some other team. With only that in mind, because of Fred's age, his contract would seem to be relatively small. But, sometimes, as is the case here, the contract needs to reflect what you have done for the team in the past, and what you were paid in the past, and what affect you have on the team on the field and in the locker room and for the fans. This is one of those rare instances. The Bills need to pay him more than they normally would for his future because of what he has meant and what he means. And I think they will.

I don't buy "less wear and tear argument" completely, but there is some merit -- nothing compares to NFL in terms of hitting --- I think Fred's agent is smart enough to know the leverage is minimal and if Fred hits open market after this season, he will only get "some" interest --- given his age -- just look at lack of interest in other players after age 30 --- The Bills should give him 3 year extension with an obvious out after year 2 -----

You think it is the same?!?

You think he was being hit by pillows by Victoria's Secret models?

Are you saying that Fred dogged his workouts because he wasn't in the NFL?

Edited by jeremy2020

+1. I don't see Freddy as a "me" kind of guy. He's always team first. If Nix said his contract will get done, I don't think Freddy has any doubt. He is a football player that any coach would dream of having on their team.

Grow up...they are all me first and if i was a 30+ running back looking for one last big pay day i would not risk getting hurt. Freddie can set himself up for life with one signature. This is a very tricky spot for Nix. He seems to do what he says so I see it getting done, but he can't hamstring his ability to reup Levitre, Byrd, and Wood either. Hopefully Freddie will realize his best chance at getting paid is with the Bills and his agent will be reasonable.

It's amazing how many people are more concerned about Fred's Contract than he is..

If you think Jackson is not concerned about his contract they you are incredibly naive.

This is his livelihood and future we are talking about.

He is concerned, just not making a public spectacle out of himself.

If Fred goes for $6m / year for 3 years, you do that deal. His agent won't let him take it though, as this will be his last "big" contract. I expect him to be franchised at $8-9m for next year and say goodbye the year after. In this era of big time player agents,etc, that is just the way I think this is going to go. Don't like it, but you don't pay people for past performance, you pay them in the NFL for future performance. You are already paying them for past/present performance. No gold watches in the NFL.

:huh:

FJ is currently under contract (if memory serves he has two years left). He is not a Free Agent so why would the Bills be franchising him and then letting him walk, when those aren't even the parameters? Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you hit The reply button and let loose the clichés.

This is an extension or new contract and rip up the old one type deal.

95% or more of contracts are for the future. What are you worth to us in the next 1-5 or more years based on what you have done in the recent past for us, or some other team. With only that in mind, because of Fred's age, his contract would seem to be relatively small. But, sometimes, as is the case here, the contract needs to reflect what you have done for the team in the past, and what you were paid in the past, and what affect you have on the team on the field and in the locker room and for the fans. This is one of those rare instances. The Bills need to pay him more than they normally would for his future because of what he has meant and what he means. And I think they will.

Agree 100%. This has to do with much more than current/future player value. It has to do with team psyche and character. I want to root for the kind of team that pays a guy like Fred Jackson based on what he has (cheaply) already contributed and on what he means to the team overall. And I want to attract the kind of player that wants to play for a team like that.

Agree 100%. This has to do with much more than current/future player value. It has to do with team psyche and character. I want to root for the kind of team that pays a guy like Fred Jackson based on what he has (cheaply) already contributed and on what he means to the team overall. And I want to attract the kind of player that wants to play for a team like that.

Yeah, look what Kelsay got (4 years, $28.2 million) he's nowhere near the player Fred is...

Edited by Lurker

Let's see, he was undrafted in 2003.

He played for the Sioux City Bandits (albeit not Victoria's Secrets) from 2004-2005. He then played for the Rhein Fire for a year in the WLAF.

My guess is that, while the competition was not Adriana Lima, it also was not the NFL. Thus, my comment about Fred having fewer "miles" than he would have otherwise.

Just my two cents.

You think he was being hit by pillows by Victoria's Secret models?

Are you saying that Fred dogged his workouts because he wasn't in the NFL?

We certainly love this guy and want the best for him and his family. He is a younge 30. But listen to us. One contract and he is set for life- etc. He makes over a million now. How many of us could even dream of this? Thats alot of money. He should be happy with how many millions?? This is planet earth. Come down to it. Nix will be fair and he should be happy with it. Stick in a big bonus factor and see if it happens. He is not Super Man.

If we extend Fred, Byrd and levitre this will probably go down as the best off season in Franchise history. Next on the list. Getting a really good QB and upgrade our WRs