Cornerback - Who stays and who goes?

We've got seven CB's (McGee, Florence, McKelvin, A. Williams, Rogers, Gilmore and Brooks). Assuming we keep five or six and assuming no UDFA makes the team, who stays and who goes? Obviously, Williams and Gilmore are locks. I assume that absent a horrendous camp, they'll keep a #4 round pick. Rogers looked very good at the tail end of last year. Do you try to peddle McKelvin in his contract year and pick up a draft pick in 2013? Do you cut one or both of the vets (McGee and Florence) loose? I vote for showcasing McKelvin in preseason and trying to get a #4 or #5 for him from a team that finds itself in need of a corner.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got seven CB's (McGee, Florence, McKelvin, A. Williams, Rogers, Gilmore and Brooks). Assuming we keep five or six and assuming no UDFA makes the team, who stays and who goes? Obviously, Williams and Gilmore are locks. I assume that absent a horrendous camp, they'll keep a #4 round pick. Rogers looked very good at the tail end of last year. Do you try to peddle McKelvin in his contract year and pick up a draft pick in 2013? Do you cut one or both of the vets (McGee and Florence) loose? I vote for showcasing McKelvin in preseason and trying to get a #4 or #5 for him from a team that finds itself in need of a corner.

I'd agree. Though a so-so young experienced CB should be more valuable than a so-so aging exprienced WR, so I'd expect you could get a 3rd for him.

Good question. I think our DBs on opening day will look like:

Florence, CB

Williams, CB

Gilmore, CB

McKelvin, CB

Brooks, CB

Rogers, CB

Byrd, FS

Wilson, SS/FS

Searcy, SS

Scott, S/LB

McGee wont make it through camp, and I'm in the small camp that wants to see McKelvin re-signed to a fair contract. This will most likely be Florence's last year on the team, and he'll see his playing time cut as the season progresses, imo.

Florence, CB

Williams, CB

Gilmore, CB

McKelvin, CB

Brooks, CB

Rogers, CB

Byrd, FS

Wilson, SS/FS

Searcy, SS

Scott, S/LB

McGee wont make it through camp, and I'm in the small camp that wants to see McKelvin re-signed to a fair contract. This will most likely be Florence's last year on the team, and he'll see his playing time cut as the season progresses, imo.

I think that's right, McGee is injury prone, aging, and now attempting to come back from an ACL injury. Kudos to the front office for giving the opportunity to do so but when all is said and done I think he's the cut.

You forgot Prince Miller and the 4 UDFA's we signed:

Chris Hill

Deano Howard

Nick Sukay

Ian Wild (Mercyhurst...nice to see a kid from a nearby school)

I think we keep 5: Gilmore, Williams, Brooks, Rogers, and Florence.

Unlike some others here, I still like McGee.

But Buddy and Chan aren't just thinking 2012 when making cuts; they're thinking beyond. Given the relative strength/potential of the younger players, I wonder if McGee and Florence - both in their 30s - go away.

But this assumes all the DBs stay healthy and off the police blotter during training camp. Unexpected events may make Chan's decision for him.

Btw, Gilmore is obviously a lock. But do we all agree Brooks, a 4th round pick, is a "lock"?

I watch this situation very closely last year at the games in person. McKelvin is the only true cover guy we had out there...his problem is lack of plays on the ball. He has the jets. As for Florence, you have to love his skills and his heart, but the legs are not there anymore, and he got beat consistently by speed guys. And, Williams did not sell me on his ability to cover either. He can hit, and make plays, but he can't run with the burners either, although he has better speed than Florence. Florence and Williams will make plays on the ball however. McKelvin could turn it around in a heatbeat if he got aggressive on the ball. Reggie Corner is gone. McGee is old and injury prone. I hope the two new corners are great, as they have speed to burn, and that McKelvin turns it around. That would be the best outcome.(start those three burners) Williams is a young Florence, and certainly has a roll. I was also not sold on Rogers, despite his play last year, looked a half step slow to me. All this talk about Rogers and Williams reminds me of the Ko Simpson fiasco, where he played a year, and everybody was sold he was great. But, he looked slow to me, and he faded out in second year...went to the Lions in the third year...never made it. We have talent her, and Stache has to put it together to work. My idea is to let the old guys ride into the sunset, and let the young burners do OJT (on the job training)

McGeeand Mckelvin are in a put up or shut up situation. I don't like their chances. If pressed I'd bet on Florence and Gilmore rising to the top pushed by Williams. Showcasing McKelvin might not be a bad idea.

I don't think McGee deserves the put up or shut up comment. He has been a very good player for us but injuries will end his career earlier than expected. Having said that, I could see McKelvin fighting for a roster spot.

Florence, CB

Williams, CB

Gilmore, CB

McKelvin, CB

Brooks, CB

Rogers, CB

Byrd, FS

Wilson, SS/FS

Searcy, SS

Scott, S/LB

I agree .. McLuvin probably makes it as a return man alone. I doubt , unless there are injuries in fornt of him he sees much time on the field as a CB.

But Buddy and Chan aren't just thinking 2012 when making cuts; they're thinking beyond. Given the relative strength/potential of the younger players, I wonder if McGee and Florence - both in their 30s - go away.

But this assumes all the DBs stay healthy and off the police blotter during training camp. Unexpected events may make Chan's decision for him.

Btw, Gilmore is obviously a lock. But do we all agree Brooks, a 4th round pick, is a "lock"?

I think Florence has to remain simply due to the inexperience of the remaining options. Going into the season with 2 rookies, 2 2nd year guys and McKelvin doesn't seem realistic.

I don't think you can invest a 4th round pick in a guy and dump him after only 1 month of camp.

I'd agree. Though a so-so young experienced CB should be more valuable than a so-so aging exprienced WR, so I'd expect you could get a 3rd for him.

No way anyone would give up a 3rd for this guy, but I would be thrilled if they did.

I like McGee, but with his injury history and his veteran salary he is likely gone. McKelvin is certainly a target to get cut as well. I would think Florence would stay as a veteran backup and nickle guy. Leaving Rogers and Brooks as the 4 and 5 guys. McKelvin might sneak his way onto the team, but at this point I think we should just move on. He just isn't good, never has a clue where the ball is or how to play it without getting a penalty.

Yes Brooks is a lock baring some sort of mental break down, criminal charge, or horrifically bad offseason. He is a pretty highly regarded guy, taken with a relatively valuable 4th round pick.

This of course assumes Gilmore and Williams as starters, but Florence may still start the season.

Also, I highly doubt the Bills keep more than 5 CB's, figuring that we will have at least 4 safeties as well.

If Rogers is practice squad eligible, it may be a way to sneak McKelvin onto the roster... The only other way he makes it is if the Bills cut Florence, which seems unlikely.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

barring a horrible camp, i think he is a lock. He will be your gunner on coverages. He also showed great skills. If he played anywhere else then LSU, he would have been a starter. And i mean even Alabama.

I think Florence has to remain simply due to the inexperience of the remaining options. Going into the season with 2 rookies, 2 2nd year guys and McKelvin doesn't seem realistic.

I don't think you can invest a 4th round pick in a guy and dump him after only 1 month of camp.

Good point about keeping a vet around. I do think one of the two goes between McGee and Florence. McKelvin would probably not get you much more then a 5th or sixth.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975