RD 4, Pick #124: CB Ron Brooks - LSU

SDS

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They picked 2 CBs and no safeties in the draft. Does McGee get cut or move to Safety. The problem is that he would only be good for being a FS, but Byrd has that spot locked up. Where does this leave McGee

McGee is not like a Lott, Woodson, or Vincent and can't move to safety. Even if that was the plan, he's got to show he can stay healthy. I think the problem is that he is now at 205. IIRC (no guarantee, since I am under the influence right now), he came into the league around 190. I think if he were to get back close to that, he could stay of IR.

This kid might be my favorite player we drafted. I think he could be the hidden gem of this draft. LSU was stacked at CB and they kept finding ways to get him involved. He is fast, he hits hard, he can cover, can play inside or out...

what a great pick

This kid might be my favorite player we drafted. I think he could be the hidden gem of this draft. LSU was stacked at CB and they kept finding ways to get him involved. He is fast, he hits hard, he can cover, can play inside or out...

what a great pick

It's hard to say. I love several of the Bills picks most notably Cordy Glenn who I vocally advocated for. To get him in the 2nd obviously made me very happy cause I would have been happy with him in the first. Everything the Bills said after drafting him were things I'd been saying since March. I loved the the Brooks pick as well as the Carder and Sanders picks. I also liked the Bradham pick.

I would say that my least-favorite pick is the Graham pick. On top of being very skeptical of his video and credentials, I'm not convinced that it was necessary to give up a 7th to move up two places. And even if it was, there were other WRs I liked better. It reminds me of the fantasy drafts where you have a real solid draft but for some reason, in the 3rd round you brain farted and made a highly dubious pick.

Chixley and Co seemed to immediately regain their footing and I give the draft an A-/ B+

It's hard to say. I love several of the Bills picks most notably Cordy Glenn who I vocally advocated for. To get him in the 2nd obviously made me very happy cause I would have been happy with him in the first. Everything the Bills said after drafting him were things I'd been saying since March. I loved the the Brooks pick as well as the Carder and Sanders picks. I also liked the Bradham pick.

I would say that my least-favorite pick is the Graham pick. On top of being very skeptical of his video and credentials, I'm not convinced that it was necessary to give up a 7th to move up two places. And even if it was, there were other WRs I liked better. It reminds me of the fantasy drafts where you have a real solid draft but for some reason, in the 3rd round you brain farted and made a highly dubious pick.

Chixley and Co seemed to immediately regain their footing and I give the draft an A-/ B+

Best draft we have had in over a decade, maybe since Polian. I too am iffy on Graham, but seeing the Jags grab a Punter in Round 3 the pick after us, it does make me wonder if we grabbed this kid before them and they messed up. Who takes a Punter in the 3rd?

Bradham was a great choice. Nix said he looks like Tarzan. I was convinced the Ravens were going to take Glenn and we would end up with Martin, who just doesn't have the strength. We lucked out! Gilmore will be a stud and I still say will be the best CB in this draft class. I think we got players who will really contribute and play.

IMO Brooks never really got to showcase his stuff at LSU because of playing behind Patrick Peterson and Claiborne, but throughout the season they found more and more ways to get him on the field. Anywhere else he would have started. Our other picks and most other players in this draft were full-time players or starters. This kid I don't think has even scratched the surface...His coach at LSU raved about him...

IMO Brooks never really got to showcase his stuff at LSU because of playing behind Patrick Peterson and Claiborne, but throughout the season they found more and more ways to get him on the field. Anywhere else he would have started. Our other picks and most other players in this draft were full-time players or starters. This kid I don't think has even scratched the surface...His coach at LSU raved about him...

And besides Claiborne and Peterson, Brooks was competing for playing time with two players who could be first rounders next year, Tyrran Mathieu and Tharold Simon.

And besides Claiborne and Peterson, Brooks was competing for playing time with two players who could be first rounders next year, Tyrran Mathieu and Tharold Simon.

Very true. Normally I wouldn't be disappointed if a mid pick flames out, but I really will be if it happens to Brooks. I just don't see it happening here.

I too am iffy on Graham, but seeing the Jags grab a Punter in Round 3 the pick after us, it does make me wonder if we grabbed this kid before them and they messed up. Who takes a Punter in the 3rd?

Everyone seems to be down on the Graham pick but the only reasoning I can find for it is that a few pundits categorized him at a lower round prospect. However, other pundits did have going "as high as the 3rd round." Buddy and Chan obviously think he's a good player, and at this point I trust them. I also think too much is being made of the trade-up - the difference between 7th round picks and UDFAs is negligible.

Anyways back to Ron Brooks, I'm actually also in the camp that is strangely confident that he will vastly outperform his draft status. All we know is that when the pecking order was established at the beginning of the year, he was 3rd, and neither of the people ahead of him played their way out of the their spots. We can't know how close a call that order was for Les Miles, but he did go out of his way to get him on the field and gave him a glowing recommendation. Brooks might turn out nearly as good, just as good, or who knows maybe even better than the other LSU CBs.

Everyone seems to be down on the Graham pick but the only reasoning I can find for it is that a few pundits categorized him at a lower round prospect. However, other pundits did have going "as high as the 3rd round." Buddy and Chan obviously think he's a good player, and at this point I trust them. I also think too much is being made of the trade-up - the difference between 7th round picks and UDFAs is negligible.

Actually I'm basing my opinion of Graham mostly on his highlights which don't really impress me. Then you throw in the trade up aspect and that dampens it for me a bit more.

Im not condemning the pick… just not enthused.

Love the Brooks pick though!

Actually I'm basing my opinion of Graham mostly on his highlights which don't really impress me. Then you throw in the trade up aspect and that dampens it for me a bit more.

Yup, there was nothing in the highlights that popped out. But who knows, the kid played big in a big bowl game and then had a stellar Senior Bowl week.

what a great pick

I think he will turn out to be one of the steals of the draft. He is a starter on any other team in the SEC, with the exception of BAMA.

Can anyone confirm that Ron Brooks has never made an INT that WASN'T a pick-6?

Or a hit where he doesn't cause a fumble and recover it? :lol:

Seriously though, this Kid is a heck of a good Football player...Hard to believe he lasted till the 4th Round... B-)

That's like being concerned that your girlfriend placed third in the Miss America contest.

Exactly...I think Folks have NO idea how much DB talent is on the average LSU, or Alabama Roster...It's sick... B-)

In that video you see his eye black? "Why so serious" haha

And he wore #13! B-)

I think he will turn out to be one of the steals of the draft. He is a starter on any other team in the SEC, with the exception of BAMA.

I agree, during a Buddy interview he talked about how on any other team he is a starting DB, he said he chose the wrong school to go to because LSU has Claiborne type DBs in the woodwork for years to come! Crazy!

1335673369[/url]' post='2452375']

Yessir!! It was a great draft buddy!! :cheers:

Just as everyone has already stated, Brooks might have been our 1st rd pick if he played at a different school. Playing behind Peterson, Claiborne and matheiu, not many CBs in the nation would be starting. I'm glad he chose to stay there and compete as opposed to transferring. Shows character. He'll be making a run at being my favorite defensive Bill, currently Mr. Dareus .

Lots of diehard LSU fans down here, so I contacted one I work with to find out about CB Ron Brooks, our 4th round pick. I thought some of you would be interested so FWIW here's his response:

I predict you will be very happy with Ron Brooks. The guy is amazing! LSU's strongest positions year after year are the Defensive Backs. We must have one helluva DB coach who I never hear about.

Ron won MVP in a couple of big games if I remember correctly. The only reason you didn't hear more about him is because LSU has consistently had the #1 (Patrick Peterson) & #2 (Tyran Mathieu, Heisman candidate) CBs in the nation playing ahead of him.

It doesn't get a lot of press but I also think Ron's academics may have held him back. I just recently heard he got some abysmal score on a nationally recognized test. I also think academics is how our QBs ended up 1st & 2nd string. Academic success is a bonus in Les Miles contract.

Lots of diehard LSU fans down here, so I contacted one I work with to find out about CB Ron Brooks, our 4th round pick. I thought some of you would be interested so FWIW here's his response:

I predict you will be very happy with Ron Brooks. The guy is amazing! LSU's strongest positions year after year are the Defensive Backs. We must have one helluva DB coach who I never hear about.

Ron won MVP in a couple of big games if I remember correctly. The only reason you didn't hear more about him is because LSU has consistently had the #1 (Patrick Peterson) & #2 (Tyran Mathieu, Heisman candidate) CBs in the nation playing ahead of him.

It doesn't get a lot of press but I also think Ron's academics may have held him back. I just recently heard he got some abysmal score on a nationally recognized test. I also think academics is how our QBs ended up 1st & 2nd string. Academic success is a bonus in Les Miles contract.

I don't understand the last paragraph.

I don't understand the last paragraph.

in that, Brooks could have been starter but his grades kept him off the field. This is because the LSU coach has a provision in his contract that gives him more money if his starters have better grades. That is what I took from the post

"It's like what Lenin said, man."

"I am the Walrus."

"If you look for the person who will benefit, then . . ."

"I am the Walrus."

"Shut the F*** up Donny! V. I. Lenin! Vladimir Illyanich Ulionov!

Edited by poo