If Martin and David are there, who do we take

All morning, WGR has been saying that David isn't a good fit with our scheme. I don't think LaVonte David is a guy we'd take regardless of who's there.

David fits the defense just fine. Joe B just is saying that because he is on the smaller side for SLB, but when the Cowboys won the second Super Bowl with this style of defense they had Dixon Edwards and Darrin Smith as the OLBs, both were 6' 230ish.

Size is secondary to Speed and Athleticism.

David fits the defense just fine. Joe B just is saying that because he is on the smaller side for SLB, but when the Cowboys won the second Super Bowl with this style of defense they had Dixon Edwards and Darrin Smith as the OLBs, both were 6' 230ish.

Size is secondary to Speed and Athleticism.

wasn't that about 20 years ago?

Players are much bigger now.

wasn't that about 20 years ago?

Players are much bigger now.

True to an extent. Some of the better LBs in the game still play at around 6'0 230 lbs. Lawrence Timmons, Jon Beason. Keith Bullock was in the 230's but he was taller. Derrick Brooks, the best 43 OLB of recent memory was 6'0 225.

It just depends what you are asking them to do. I think you would prefer size at the position but not at the expense of speed and athleticism. If they can play, they can play.

Interesting question about David's size. I am not sure how the Bills view this. I know that Nix and Gailey have CLEARLY shown that they think height, weight and speed are very important. They have brought in much bigger players than were here before they got there. However, 4-3 LBs tend to be smaller and quicker/faster than 3-4 LBs. In the 3-4, the LBs have more pass rushing and run stopping responsibility (particularly in taking on OL). In the 4-3, they are in coverage more and play the run, too. To survive in coverage, they need to be more athletic and that usually translates to trading off some size.

No to Martin. He's not plug and play nor am I convinced he is capable.

I've done a complete 360 on Martin. Used to want him at 10. However, as I researched, I kept hearing negative things about him. Why use your 2nd on a guy some people think will never be capable of playing LT? We can get an OT with questions in the 3rd. Why not take an OLB who the scouts have nothing but good things to say about? David is my guy. Draft McCants in the 3rd.