In this NEW NFL are the Bills a day late & a dollar short?

Beerball

I have to go with Buddy's comment, if you trade up and the guy turns out to be a bust, you lost two picks and it really sets you back.

This is a great point, if the Bills were only one player away from a championship I could see trading a second to move up. The Bills need three potential starters from this draft and the best way to attempt to do so is to save picks.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

considering the high percentage of first round busts, giving away three picks to move 1 spot ala Cleveland is just stupid. If you have a great scouting department you can stack your team with depth.

I think we're fine.

Yeah, I Thought That was the stupidest move ever. Why give up all those draft picks to move up 1 spot. No Wonders Cleveland Sucks so bad...

This is a great point, if the Bills were only one player away from a championship I could see trading a second to move up. The Bills need three potential starters from this draft and the best way to attempt to do so is to save picks.

Agreed. The Bills Wanted Kalil, They couldn't make the trade, They wanted Barron, He got taken ahead of where he was projected. We ended up with Gilmore. Not a bad pick, especially when we have suspect CBs. Yes I'd love to have seen a WR or OL, but We Get 2 more picks today, hopefully get those positions addressed.

A little unfair to judge his philosophy against the new NFL with 1 pick in 1 round of the first draft.

If we come away with a good starting CB, OT, and WR, and solid depth the rest of the way, I would call this draft a success. Pick up a LB in FA and this would have been one of the best offseasons for the Bills in a long long time.

It's all about risk versus reward. Can they sacrifice and trade up to get someone they liked more than Gilmore? Maybe. But you introduce more risk at that point, and very likely they didn't feel that the reward of that higher rated player was worth it.

Moving in the first round while much easier to do than in the past is still pricey compared to moving in rounds 2-4.

Give it until Sunday to see who the Bills end up with before we judge each team's draft philosophy.

A few days ago, people were arguing between WR/CB/S/OT/LB at 10. Well, the S went incredibly high, the WR's slid a little, the OT's slid a lot, and the CB's went mostly where expected (Kirkpatrick may have slid a bit). It looks like the Bills better assessed player value than most of the fans. Who would you have wanted them to trade up to take? Kalil? It cost the Browns a 4th, 5th, and 7th to move 1 spot. What would it have cost the Bills to move up 7 or 6? The Jags gave up a 4th to move up 2 spots, had the Bucs been entertaining an offer from the Bills, I would almost guarantee that the Jags would have increased their offer.

All the lack of trading the Bills did yesterday tells me is that they believed the drop off in talent between OT's and WR's between the top guys and the 2nd tier guys wasn't worth the price of moving. And for the most part going into day 2, it looks like there's still plenty of talent at the OT and WR positions available.

So I guess my question is, who would you have wanted to see the Bills move up and get yesterday, and what would you have given for him?

Yeah, I Thought That was the stupidest move ever. Why give up all those draft picks to move up 1 spot. No Wonders Cleveland Sucks so bad...

1) Browns wanted Richardson.

2) Tampa had a deal with Minny.

3) Minny gave the Browns the chance to top it.

PTR

If you listen to guys like Buscaglia and our own good friend John Wawrow it seems as if Gilmore was right behind Kalil and Barron on our board, ahead of Kuechly. So it seems as if we did get our guy. As far as trading back goes, that's an inexact science because you assume that the teams that did trade back still got their guy. So now we're trying to figure out where Gilmore goes in relation to how far down the offers we're getting are. The next guy on our board was probably Kirkpatrick anyway (I am guessing Floyd wasn't on the board since they had basically zero contact with them). There is a lot of moving parts and this was really this first year of all of these shenanigans (last year teams were probably just feeling out the new process so not as much movement). Bottom line is, I guess this should still be TBD. We as fans will never know where Gilmore goes if he doesn't get picked by the Bills so we don't know how far the Bills could have moved down and still gotten their guy. I guess today could tell if they are willing to get their guy but if they have Glenn, Martin, and Adams all ranked similarly they'll probably stay put until two of them are off the board.

All in all it's hard to make a definitive case at this point because a) We are not privy to the Bills draft board or any other teams and b) this drafting style just started last night and the Bills have only made one pick so far. Tonight has the potential to tell a lot but there will also be a lot of guys available at the positions of need so if they have guys on the board are rated closely they may not make a move until they are within 2-3 spots of their pick, if they make one at all.

If you think there are 6 blue chip players in the draft, and getting one of them would only cost you a Danny Batten, for chrissake do it. You can find 4th and 5th round replacement-level players in the bargain bin in free agency.

Just because pre-draft guys on TV and the internet said there are 6 blue chip players doesn't mean the teams selecting agreed with that. Each team has their own board and their own opinions on who are the "blue chip" players. Without knowing what the Bills board looked like it's hard to know if they should have pulled the trigger on a trade to move up or if they got exactly the guy they wanted.

From what I head from Nix pre-draft this is the guy I thought they were targeting all along. He gushed about Gilmore like he had a high school crush on him.

Second time today I am hopping on and agreeing with jj; we need bodies on this team and if we can get 3 guys that can contribute in the first 3 rounds instead of two b/c we traded one away...I can live with that.

Absolutely... :thumbsup:

They're actually picking guys where they should and people are complaining. Kalil was the only guy I wanted them to trade up for and get but the Vikes wanted him. I also don't understand wanting to trade back for more picks, they already have 10 picks in this draft. They should be able to acquire a lot of depth and some starters.

This team couldn't cover for Sh*t last year. Mckelvin is done, Florence was pretty bad, and Mcgee can't stay healthy anymore. Gilmore and Williams will be the future back there.

Every year there are draft day winners anointed. 3 years from now, when the real results of the draft are known, the actual winners will be quite different.

Personally I think Cleveland was smart to give up virtually nothing to get the Richardson because he's got the highest likelihood of impact in the entire class. I also think they were incredibly stupid to spend a first rounder on a 28 year old QB.

That's what I based my statement on. I have no problem with them moving up for their guy and that's what I posted in the thread about the trade last night. I just can't understand the QB choice.

I was disappointed last night-- for some reason I convinced myself that we would trade up for Kalil. We didn't move and that was disappointing (I can live with Gilmore but that's not really the point of this thread).

Nix is old school. He would probably tell you that changes in the CB or not, the new NFL is just the same as the old NFL as it all comes down to talent evaluation and not necessarily on new rookie money structure and that his philosophy is to keep his picks and let the draft play out that way. Like Beerball and CT, I would have liked to see a little more creativity but I don't think that's Buddy's style and he's been doing this for so long with some dependable success that he probably doesn't really see the need to change. Based on his comments, I am concerned that he is a bit entrenched in his views and that, perhaps more than most, it will take an incredibly special player and need to get him to trade up whereas others might be a bit more willing to take the risk.

As I said elsewhere, I couldn't agree more. This team needs playmakers, not more backups. Buddy's good at finding "safe" picks who don't flameout, but his drafts have yet to produce many starters. I know he is a good talent evaluator but as a dynamic team-builder, I'm still not sold. If you think there are 6 blue chip players in the draft, and getting one of them would only cost you a Danny Batten, for chrissake do it. You can find 4th and 5th round replacement-level players in the bargain bin in free agency.

Then by extension, dropping out of that blue chip 6 would raise the price tag significantly. Cleveland gave up a bunch of Battens to flip one pick. Bills would likely had to give up at least a No. 3 or maybe even a No. 2 to entice Minny to a swap. You also figure the reason that Minny gave Cleveland a shot at the trade was they didn't want to move too far back and risk missing Kalil. So for them to move back to #10, the price would have been very steep.

Put the Gilmore pick aside for a second if you can and think about what happened in yesterday's first round. Trades were fast and furious. Teams moving down allowing another team to target their guy then moving back up etc. It was a fun night from what I was able to see. There were some big winners (Minny, NE IMO) and some head scratchers (Cleveland is #1 in this category to me, Tampa #2).

What last night showed us was this is the new NFL draft. The CBA makes it very attractive for teams to move around. The Bills stood pat. They listened to offers to trade up and they fielded calls to move down. The fact that they didn't may tell us that they got their guy, but it might also tell us that Buddy is Buddy. His philosophy is take the BPA. Did we miss the boat last night? We'll never know for sure because the misinformation will continue, but these comment do concern me:

We had calls to move up or down, but we didn't do it. Why? Because you run a risk. Moving up you 'swap two guys for one & if you miss on that one' huh? So you're defeated before you even start? You might miss? What faith do you have in this revamped scouting department headed by your heir apparent?

'We did not entertain moving down' Why not? We did not entertain tells me it was not an option. We didn't think about it. Why? If you are concerned about missing on your picks (if you miss on that one) why not get more picks?

The NEW NFL has shown us that you go get your guy. CB was a need. Did they have Gilmore rated above Kuechly? They have (IMO) a bigger need at LB than CB.

IF we stand pat in round 2 how many players of need will the Bills miss out on? Upshaw? Martin? Glenn? David? Jeffery? Sanu?

Please take the blinders off and don't read this as a woe is us post. Does Buddy's draft philosophy need to change with the times?

CBs are more important then LB in the 43 defense. This was a good pick because we seem to be building a team that can beat the best team in our division.

Now lets improve our Offense with th enext 2 picks

Put the Gilmore pick aside for a second if you can and think about what happened in yesterday's first round. Trades were fast and furious. Teams moving down allowing another team to target their guy then moving back up etc. It was a fun night from what I was able to see. There were some big winners (Minny, NE IMO) and some head scratchers (Cleveland is #1 in this category to me, Tampa #2).

What last night showed us was this is the new NFL draft. The CBA makes it very attractive for teams to move around. The Bills stood pat. They listened to offers to trade up and they fielded calls to move down. The fact that they didn't may tell us that they got their guy, but it might also tell us that Buddy is Buddy. His philosophy is take the BPA. Did we miss the boat last night? We'll never know for sure because the misinformation will continue, but these comment do concern me:

We had calls to move up or down, but we didn't do it. Why? Because you run a risk. Moving up you 'swap two guys for one & if you miss on that one' huh? So you're defeated before you even start? You might miss? What faith do you have in this revamped scouting department headed by your heir apparent?

'We did not entertain moving down' Why not? We did not entertain tells me it was not an option. We didn't think about it. Why? If you are concerned about missing on your picks (if you miss on that one) why not get more picks?

The NEW NFL has shown us that you go get your guy. CB was a need. Did they have Gilmore rated above Kuechly? They have (IMO) a bigger need at LB than CB.

IF we stand pat in round 2 how many players of need will the Bills miss out on? Upshaw? Martin? Glenn? David? Jeffery? Sanu?

Please take the blinders off and don't read this as a woe is us post. Does Buddy's draft philosophy need to change with the times?

No offense but your reading way too much into this. Would you rather have us do what Cleveland did, trade away picks to move up one spot when they could of just stayed pat & got Richardson anyways. CB is a need on this team. Mgee is always injured, florence is on the downside of his career, mcdipshit is about as dumb as a bag of rocks & they already said they view rogers as more of a nickel/dime guy. It would of been interesting to see if Kuechly was still on the board which way they would of went. Hopefully that scenerio does not turn into Patrick Willis part 2.

BTW, I met Mario Williams yesterday. Shook his hand, wished him good luck & told him thanks for giving the city & organization a chance. He said he is super excited & can't wait for the season to start. Huge guy, really soft spoken. Seemed really nice.

Well...If The Bills Board was anything like Mayocks, and they had Gilmore at #8 overall...You get the #8 guy on your Board at #10...And you're pretty happy you did not give up a 2nd, or 3rd Round Pick, for another guy who was a couple slots higher... B-)

Everyone is making a big deal about how the new CBA ignited a firestorm of trade activity. I've been watching the draft since the 90s and there didn't seem to be noticeably more trades than any other year.

The most top 10 trades in NFL history.

link

I hear what you're saying, Beerball but to me it's more Buddy just being Buddy and sticking to his philosophy. My hunch is he had two or three guys with nearly identical scouting grades in terms of their abilities to play their positions in the NFL. I also think that they were surprised that Carolina took Keuchly, whom I suspect Wanny really coveted.

I think the only player he was willing to move up for, the only player that had a higher grade than the two or three I mentioned, was Kalil. But I gotta believe the price to move up to 4 from 10 was gonna be the 41st pick and I can see why he might think that's too high a price for where his team is at the moment. There are gonna be some serviceable tackles around later.

He doesn't always choose the best words when discussing his reasoning as his "miss on the one guy" etc. remarks. I think that's just his way of saying he'd rather have a chance of being successful with two prospects than one. I agree it doesn't exactly breed confidence when he talks in terms of "what if you miss on that one guy" but I honestly think he understands the draft is about so much more than the first round and he honestly feels he'd rather have more opportunities to find more players.

Yeah, he's old school but I don't think he's missing the boat on anything.

Oh, and the Browns didn't over spend at all.

GO BILLS!!!