dont forget Easley is 6'3 220 4.39-4.45 speed

That's a big if. He hasn't played a down in two years in the NFL, and while I think he deserves a shot, you can't rely on him as the answer given his history. The Bills have to give themselves a realistic plan B. And one more thing...every team in the league has a guy just like him, a guy who has all the talent in the world but just can't seem to stay healthy or make an impact for one reason or another.

It's amazing to me all the faith placed in a player drafted in the 4th round who has had not made any plays in the NFL in 2 seasons and is being used to justify selecting a CB in the 1st round with so many other more important needs. Brilliant.

It's amazing to me all the faith placed in a player drafted in the 4th round who has had not made any plays in the NFL in 2 seasons and is being used to justify selecting a CB in the 1st round with so many other more important needs. Brilliant.

He looked very good last preseason, before he went out.

The health concerns are obvious and serious, though. IF he can play, he could be solid by the end of the season. If he can play. And not die.

As a fan and human being, I'm rooting for Easley to be successful. It would be a terrific story and the kid showed flashes of talent that gets you thinking ...

But as a GM, Coach, or Owner you CANNOT be sentimental. Counting on Easley to produce this season is a gamble. Only they know how big of a gamble it is ... but it's a gamble all the same. This WR corps is NOT good enough without Easley. But then again, it's a deep draft for WRs.

I dont think mentioning Easley is a justification for taking Gilmore over Floyd. It's simply a reminder that he is indeed on our roster and has potential. If the Bills thought Floyd was the right pick, they would have taken him. They didn't. They recognize the D still needs help.

Personally, I love the commitment to defense the Nix regime has shown. I'm so freaking tired of getting gashed by mediocre offenses.

Easley is an unrelated issue unless you're talking about passing on Floyd

I don't think there's any need to justify anything. We've got one CB that's going to be a FA, another that can't stay healthy. What exactly about the Gilmore pick is not a need?

That's a very uninformed assessment IMO

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Yeah but he is a very, very unproven commodity.

If one were to pick nits, one could say that Floyd is also an unproven NFL commodity.

I have not forgotten that Easly at one point had convinced our coaching staff that they had their number 2 WR. I hope he can return to form, but this draft is deep in big, fast receivers.

Buddy will get'er done.

So improving our defense that made Matt freakin Moore look like a pro bowler wasn't important?

So improving our defense that made Matt freakin Moore look like a pro bowler wasn't important?

Right, this is what I'm saying. It's been so frustrating not being able to get off the field against these types of offenses. All offenses are going to struggle from time to time, even the Saints and Pats.

In our conditions, division, and city, building a D like the Ted/Fat Pat/Winfield/Cowart defense of 99 is what is going to win us enough games to make the tourney. I dont want teams to fear The Ralph b/c we might outscore them, I want teams to fear coming here b/c they know we will bury them with a flurry of mean nasty defenders.

To me, personally, I believe it's been extremely obvious for weeks that Floyd was not going to be our pick. I understand the guys on this board wanted him, but was that realisticly going to happen, especially with the way Nix and Whaley dismissed the question about him at the luncheon? C'mon guys. And this Gilmore is going to be a good pick

Edited by Florida Gator 14

I want to give the man a shot, but the fact that he hasn't played a down in two years of the NFL is somewhat troubling. Now, last season he left because he needed heart surgery. That really isn't a good indicator of how he gets injured.

At the same time, what happens if his heart has problems again? I would like to have someone else in to compete for the #2 slot.

I like the Gilmore pick, but you are right about posters who think that guys like Jasper, Batten, Moats and Easley, are ready to make the jump from guys who might not make the team come September, to impact players.

Would have love to have had Floyd, but if Easley is healthy then we are in good shape

Why? It's irrelevant.

Don't forget that once a player has been in the NFL two years, his underwear stats really don't matter...it's what have you done on the field?

And the answer to that Q for Easley is "nothing, yet".

To the folks griping on CB pick, the obvious answer is in Nix's mind it IS a more important need. I'm not so sure I disagree, given that Kuechly was gone along with Kalil and Blackmon.

We have Florence (31), McGee (31 and too often hurt), McKelvin (if he's gonna have a breakthrough, now would be a good time) and who else? Williams showed promise, and Rodgers looked OK for a late round pick.

That's not a lot of starters, let alone depth, at a critical position.

I want to give the man a shot, but the fact that he hasn't played a down in two years of the NFL is somewhat troubling. Now, last season he left because he needed heart surgery. That really isn't a good indicator of how he gets injured.

At the same time, what happens if his heart has problems again? I would like to have someone else in to compete for the #2 slot.

Heart surgery? Source?

I dont think mentioning Easley is a justification for taking Gilmore over Floyd. It's simply a reminder that he is indeed on our roster and has potential. If the Bills thought Floyd was the right pick, they would have taken him. They didn't. They recognize the D still needs help.

Personally, I love the commitment to defense the Nix regime has shown. I'm so freaking tired of getting gashed by mediocre offenses.

I agree... the biggest eye-opener in how weak our defense is, was the Bengals game. Where a rookie QB was able to stage a comeback against us when were undefeated at the time. Also, the first Jets game, where Sanchez made our secondary look silly. I would have liked Floyd too, but this pick is actually a greater necessity.