NCDOT Bridge on the jboyst62 farm (updated with pictures)

boyst

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mead and a few others have asked what has been going on with this.

About a month ago the utility lines, gas and power moved to underground boring.

At this point the state has erected some work signs, put up some barrels in prep. They also have had temporary barb wire fences erected along parts of the property that will limit my ability, if not cease my ability, to enter part of my land. Silt fences have been put up to keep wash down, as well rocks being put down to help with erosion control. Next will be removing some trees and debris in the way.

On the legal front nothing much has changed. It will likely be another month or so before the meat starts to come off the bone and mediation begins. I will ask that no American bolts or steel is used for the bridge.

Insist that the bridge be constructed entirely of Chinese products including cement. (keep the cows away from said bridge)

Insist that the bridge be constructed entirely of Chinese products including cement. (keep the cows away from said bridge)

I don't know about the Chinese cement, but down in the dungeon I read that Chinese steel is better then US Steel.

http://imgur.com/h19j7de,1UzooSW,IQtb5go,i2xkQRo,HHUfBP2,lZIOb4W,vgo5KiN

Updates with pictures after today's flooding. I walked out in it, where you can still see the grass and it was over my knees (I am 6'4" in boots).

There are 7 pictures, you can see at the top. Clicking on the picture in Imgur will enlarge the picture to full size.

1. The Bridge already up that is going to remain for the new bridge. Foreground is where they removed trees at the forks of the creek. There is a silt fence if you look dead center.

2. That is the railroad bridge in background. Two creeks come together this side just below it. The hill coming from the left is where the old bridge (by old, I mean removed and replaced by current bridge in 1991).

3. Is the other side of the current bridge/road. We call it the lower bottom. Water is now encouraged more to flow at the foot of the hill. The entire field is flooded over my knees but you cannot see it. I walked out in it. Some parts were up to my waist.

4. This was taken a few days ago before all of the trees were down. The fence the state put up is temporary but makes no sense due to flooding - its to appease me, they hope. Either way, this is where the new road will break off from current road and be 34' higher then the existing bridge.

5. This was taken before any timber was cut, just after the fence was built - why they used square posts is beyond me, they're crap.

6. Was last night. The yellow thing is a giant wood chipper, it's serious badarse. This was taken from just below where I took the other ones (5 and 6).

7. This is the same spot as 2, sort of. I could just not get any closer due to the water. It gives you an idea.

We got .5 at the bridge. Up creek they got about the same. The creek was up 8'.

Was the flooding as a result of rain or changes to the direction of the creek from construction?

1/2 of rain fell at my house, the bridge site 1/2 mile away got .4 on the rain gauge. Up creek - spanning 20 miles maybe? - got the similar between .4 and .8 inches. It came down hard and heavy, though. Some places, I am sure got more then an inch, as always happens. But still, to crest 8' above average is scary.

This is a result of normal downpours, it happens 3 or 4 times a year. The expansion of neighborhoods to the north along this creeks watershed has put more grey water and run off in the creek system compounding it, also. The trees being cut down made it more likely to wash out areas. I went back down with my GF at 7:30 and it had dropped about 6" by my line. There were limbs washing everywhere. At this point I would not speculate on how the trees being cut down having an impact, but I am sure it did not help.

1/2 of rain fell at my house, the bridge site 1/2 mile away got .4 on the rain gauge. Up creek - spanning 20 miles maybe? - got the similar between .4 and .8 inches. It came down hard and heavy, though. Some places, I am sure got more then an inch, as always happens. But still, to crest 8' above average is scary.

This is a result of normal downpours, it happens 3 or 4 times a year. The expansion of neighborhoods to the north along this creeks watershed has put more grey water and run off in the creek system compounding it, also. The trees being cut down made it more likely to wash out areas. I went back down with my GF at 7:30 and it had dropped about 6" by my line. There were limbs washing everywhere. At this point I would not speculate on how the trees being cut down having an impact, but I am sure it did not help.

Any crop damage or are your lands mostly pasture/grazing land? Crop insurance? Sorry to see this...we've had the same problem with our local farmers upstate and sweet corn that was tassled in June got wiped out with flood and hail. Hope it recedes quickly for you.

Any crop damage or are your lands mostly pasture/grazing land? Crop insurance? Sorry to see this...we've had the same problem with our local farmers upstate and sweet corn that was tassled in June got wiped out with flood and hail. Hope it recedes quickly for you.

Hay is considered a crop. I do not do crop insurance - I do not feel the ends justify the means. The cheap insurance is based off of rainfall and only provides minimal income when rainfall amounts do not meet average monthly totals for zoned districts inside of counties.

It has nearly all fallen back. I am going to speak with the liaison about cleaning it up down there, but I have good grounds to make them and get them due to regs.

I have not had time to look at the corn prices recently, but with this rain in the southeast I am curious how little it will impact the full window - which is based on out West corn.

Sounds more like an all-powerfull and all-corrupt government.

But I guess nothing can stand in the way of the absurd 'high speed rail' boondoggle.

Think if I tried the stand your ground thing with the high speed train I might get anywhere?

Think if I tried the stand your ground thing with the high speed train I might get anywhere?

Sure you will. You'll get wherever the train is heading. You'll be a bloody mess on the front of it, but you'll still get somewhere.

• 1 month later...