Draft Coverage - finally!

"According to Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch, after the league met with ESPN and the NFL Network on Wednesday, the three entities have decided to turn up the intrigue on the drama.

Deitsch writes that the NFL Network and ESPN have agreed not to “show a draftee on the phone in the Green Room prior to the pick on the first night of the NFL Draft.” In past years obviously, those Green Room shots let the viewer knew who Roger Goodell was about to announce before Goodell could get to the podium and actually say the name.

This way, nobody except the draftee -- and whoever is sitting next to him in the Green Room -- will know which player the next team on the clock will take until Goodell announces it."

GREAT NEWS for those of us who love the draft and still like the "christmas like" surprise of not knowing who it is until the name is called! about dam time!

There was another article in USA Today with Chris Berman who loves the move and says hes been telling ESPN Execs for years to do away with it because it was killing the fan experience....he also said the NFL gives ESPN ZERO heads up on whos being drafted where...

how is it a meaningless gesture??? its been ruining the first 20 picks of the draft for years now, what is meaningless about it eball?

Meaningless, as in, "has no meaning." No draft picks will be changed or impacted by this. It's solely a "cool" gesture for the TV audience.

Did I really have to explain that? :doh:

Meaningless, as in, "has no meaning." No draft picks will be changed or impacted by this. It's solely a "cool" gesture for the TV audience.

Did I really have to explain that? :doh:

Yeah, but the NFL has been trying to make the draft an exclusive "made for TV" event. So it's far from meaningless. I love the fact that the picks won't be revealed. I just posted something about this the other day.

Isn't it the network's job to try to get the scoop before it happens?

Why not just have the draft behind closed doors and then just have an Academy Awards type show to reveal them?

This is just a silly thing. It is such a non-issue. It is fun flipping back and forth watching the two stations try to out-do each other. If they are going to do it this way, there is absolutely no point in having the guys in the green room with all the cameras.

This is just another example of the NFL trying to micromanage everything.

I'll be madly searching twitter for some draft prospects brother-in-law, (ho is sitting in the green room updating twitter, (his klout score will go through the roof) that way I can find out who the pick was 0.5 milliseconds before the rest you suckers

Isn't it the network's job to try to get the scoop before it happens?

Why not just have the draft behind closed doors and then just have an Academy Awards type show to reveal them?

This is just a silly thing. It is such a non-issue. It is fun flipping back and forth watching the two stations try to out-do each other. If they are going to do it this way, there is absolutely no point in having the guys in the green room with all the cameras.

This is just another example of the NFL trying to micromanage everything.

sure theres a reason for the guys to be in the green room, to walk up to the podium and hold up the jersey, and then be interviewed for cameras....all of those are far more important reasons to be in attendance rather than "so he can be on camera when he gets the phone call", which also ruins the surprise for the home viewers

and I cannot flip back and forth between the two stations because of the stranglehold TimeWarner has on NFL network....f'ing Time Warner

sure theres a reason for the guys to be in the green room, to walk up to the podium and hold up the jersey, and then be interviewed for cameras....all of those are far more important reasons to be in attendance rather than "so he can be on camera when he gets the phone call", which also ruins the surprise for the home viewers

and I cannot flip back and forth between the two stations because of the stranglehold TimeWarner has on NFL network....f'ing Time Warner

NFL.com streams the draft.

I'm fairly certain the networks did not tip their hand before goodelle announced Darius last year. I was yelling don't **** this up to my tv all the way up until godelle announced the pick.

No way the Bill scould have done anything else at # 3 last year so it was not a surprise. Wait it was the Bills :doh: Of course they could have done something different. Glad they didn't and I'm sure they are happy with Dareus. :beer:

Now if they could please stop making the first pick before the draft starts. When Houston singed Mario the night before the draft it ruined my day this year everyone knows the first 2 picks probaly 3 I miss the drama and anticipaition... i cant spell.